Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NOS Parts Identification Help (Pic Warning)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r1lark
    replied
    Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
    Paul the length of the float arm on my old sender is 5 1/4"
    Same as mine! Looks like this one is identified. Thanks Chris and 41Frank!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    The single-wire senders are rheostats: simply a resistor whose value changes with float position.
    The two-wire senders are potentiometers: aresistor with a movable tap, and the significant value is the ratio between resistances on either side of the tap.

Leave a comment:

• 41 Frank
    replied
    Gee, I didn't know you had a 40 Champ Gordon. The sender I mentioned is the one I removed from my tank and replaced with another random 2 wire unit in stock, I have lots of them. I just did the McGyver thing on it and shortened the arm to the correct length soldered it back together and voila, problem solved. You're welcome to the old one but it does not work. My dash unit does indeed have three wires. The two wires at the sender somehow sense the difference in resistance to make the gauge function I believe.

Originally posted by gordr View Post
    Frank, that looks like the sender for my '40 Champ. Both wires go to the gauge; neither is a ground. The dash unit will have 3 terminals, plus a ground, of course.

If you want to sell it, I'd be interested.

Actually, aside from the float arm length, that sending unit ought to work in any car or truck up to the time they went to single-wire senders. I know early 2R trucks used dual-wire senders.

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    Frank, that looks like the sender for my '40 Champ. Both wires go to the gauge; neither is a ground. The dash unit will have 3 terminals, plus a ground, of course.

If you want to sell it, I'd be interested.

Actually, aside from the float arm length, that sending unit ought to work in any car or truck up to the time they went to single-wire senders. I know early 2R trucks used dual-wire senders.

Leave a comment:

• 41 Frank
    replied
    Paul the length of the float arm on my old sender is 5 1/4"

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
    Chris and 41Frank, looks like you have it pegged. I found a pic (link: https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...es/513163i.jpg ) on studebakerparts.com of a '41 sender, and it looks the same. Now, I know that a lot of senders look similar but will have different part numbers.

41Frank, do you still have the sender that you pulled out of your car? If so, can you measure the length of the float arm rod, from where it comes out of the body of the sender to the center of the float?

Leave a comment:

• silverhawk
    replied
    Hey, just a thought; would that rather odd looking light assembly be a courtesy light for the glovebox? Or I think I recall there being a option for one in your trunk as well; can't quite remember what either look like though.

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    Chris and 41Frank, looks like you have it pegged. I found a pic (link: https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...es/513163i.jpg ) on studebakerparts.com of a '41 sender, and it looks the same. Now, I know that a lot of senders look similar but will have different part numbers.

41Frank, do you still have the sender that you pulled out of your car? If so, can you measure the length of the float arm rod, from where it comes out of the body of the sender to the center of the float?

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Dresbach
    replied
    Chris,

Does yours have two wires that attach to it? I really couldn't figure out what the second wire was for.......do you know?
    Yup, two wires. One goes to the gauge (but mine is not hooked up) and I think the other is a ground or power wire. Not really sure, mine needs a lot of work. lol

Leave a comment:

• 41 Frank
    replied
    It also looks just like the sender in my 41 Champion that I just replaced. Yes they have 2 wires. Until the early 50's many models of Studes if not all had 2 wire senders that is how the gauge functioned. Can't explain excactly how it worked though.
    Chris,

Does yours have two wires that attach to it? I really couldn't figure out what the second wire was for.......do you know?
    Last edited by 41 Frank; 08-05-2010, 03:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    Originally posted by KGlowacky View Post
    Before I tell you what those chrome looking spacers are for. Are they for sale???? I will pay @10.00 for the pair. LOL. Just kinding but I may have an interest. The are spacers for backup lights for some sort of hawk. I know this only because when I was looking for back up lights for my 56 wagon I purchased a set from Mr Biggs and they came with these spacers. The 56 wagons did not use them and Biggs told me these back up lights came on 56 wagons and golden HAwks or somrthing like that and the spacers were needed on the Hawks. The back up lights are rare rare so I assume these spacers would be also. Although these can be duplicated rather easily. I am sure someone can confirm what year hawks these will fit.
    Yep, for 1956, part number 1540328. Thanks!!

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by KGlowacky View Post
    I am sure someone can confirm what year hawks these will fit.
    That is a very easy question, since the only Hawks without built-in back-up lights is 1956.

Leave a comment:

• KGlowacky
    replied
    Before I tell you what those chrome looking spacers are for. Are they for sale???? I will pay @10.00 for the pair. LOL. Just kinding but I may have an interest. The are spacers for backup lights for some sort of hawk. I know this only because when I was looking for back up lights for my 56 wagon I purchased a set from Mr Biggs and they came with these spacers. The 56 wagons did not use them and Biggs told me these back up lights came on 56 wagons and golden HAwks or somrthing like that and the spacers were needed on the Hawks. The back up lights are rare rare so I assume these spacers would be also. Although these can be duplicated rather easily. I am sure someone can confirm what year hawks these will fit.

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
    The sending unit is very similar to the one on my '40, so I would guess it's prewar.
    Chris,

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Dresbach
    replied
    The sending unit is very similar to the one on my '40, so I would guess it's prewar.

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    Thank Dylan! I'll let you know about selling, also have other various bits and pieces of station wagon tailgate parts.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X