Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NOS Parts Identification Help (Pic Warning)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, just a thought; would that rather odd looking light assembly be a courtesy light for the glovebox? Or I think I recall there being a option for one in your trunk as well; can't quite remember what either look like though.
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Paul the length of the float arm on my old sender is 5 1/4"

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
      Chris and 41Frank, looks like you have it pegged. I found a pic (link: https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...es/513163i.jpg ) on studebakerparts.com of a '41 sender, and it looks the same. Now, I know that a lot of senders look similar but will have different part numbers.

41Frank, do you still have the sender that you pulled out of your car? If so, can you measure the length of the float arm rod, from where it comes out of the body of the sender to the center of the float?
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Frank, that looks like the sender for my '40 Champ. Both wires go to the gauge; neither is a ground. The dash unit will have 3 terminals, plus a ground, of course.

If you want to sell it, I'd be interested.

Actually, aside from the float arm length, that sending unit ought to work in any car or truck up to the time they went to single-wire senders. I know early 2R trucks used dual-wire senders.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Gee, I didn't know you had a 40 Champ Gordon. The sender I mentioned is the one I removed from my tank and replaced with another random 2 wire unit in stock, I have lots of them. I just did the McGyver thing on it and shortened the arm to the correct length soldered it back together and voila, problem solved. You're welcome to the old one but it does not work. My dash unit does indeed have three wires. The two wires at the sender somehow sense the difference in resistance to make the gauge function I believe.

Originally posted by gordr View Post
          Frank, that looks like the sender for my '40 Champ. Both wires go to the gauge; neither is a ground. The dash unit will have 3 terminals, plus a ground, of course.

If you want to sell it, I'd be interested.

Actually, aside from the float arm length, that sending unit ought to work in any car or truck up to the time they went to single-wire senders. I know early 2R trucks used dual-wire senders.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

The single-wire senders are rheostats: simply a resistor whose value changes with float position.
            The two-wire senders are potentiometers: aresistor with a movable tap, and the significant value is the ratio between resistances on either side of the tap.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
              Paul the length of the float arm on my old sender is 5 1/4"
              Same as mine! Looks like this one is identified. Thanks Chris and 41Frank!!!!!
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Working...
              X