Digging out the 52 parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digging out the 52 parts

As part of my attempt to help Michidan find the trim he needs I spent most of the 100+ degree afternoon opening boxes and cleaning 30+ years of dust off of parts. It was a real trip thorough memory lane because of the return addresses on many of the boxes and remembering at what meets I bought some of the parts. Here are some of the names I could read.
    D.W Barnes, Lynchburg,VA , Snearly Auto Parts, Colorado Springs,CO, Mel W. Boettcher, N. Tonawndany, NY, Roy Hecker, Chula Vista, CA , Joseph Moppert, Binghamton,NY , Big D Studebaker Supply, Dallas, TX , C. Potter, South Gate, CA , and Special Interest Autos of Saint Louis.
    Here are some parts:
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

OOOH Holy geeez...!!!

Is there even the slightest chance there are any beltline trim parts in there ?

I badly need the front two corners and would be interested in any beltline trim as I hope to someday accumulate the whole thing
    to be able to replace mine that I must paint.

Pretty please.

Dean.

Comment

Sorry, no beltline trim. The only cars we ever bought for were a Starlight coupe and a Land Cruiser.
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Dangit !

Thank you,

Dean.

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
          As part of my attempt to help Michidan find the trim he needs I spent most of the 100+ degree afternoon opening boxes and cleaning 30+ years of dust off of parts. It was a real trip thorough memory lane because of the return addresses on many of the boxes and remembering at what meets I bought some of the parts. Here are some of the names I could read.
          D.W Barnes, Lynchburg,VA , Snearly Auto Parts, Colorado Springs,CO, Mel W. Boettcher, N. Tonawndany, NY, Roy Hecker, Chula Vista, CA , Joseph Moppert, Binghamton,NY , Big D Studebaker Supply, Dallas, TX , C. Potter, South Gate, CA , and Special Interest Autos of Saint Louis.
          I remember all of them.....except for Joseph Moppert of Binghamton NY, and C. Potter of South Gate. This wouldn't be Chuck Potter would it?
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Nice collection of parts !
            My 1st Studebaker was a '52 and I sold it about 15 years ago , it went to Dearborn Mi and I've never seen it again . To this day I have regreted selling that car....probably just as well that I've never seen it again .
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I hope everyone realizes that these parts are nice, but not perfect. A photo like this does not show the small blemishes. Most are NOS and very good, but it is after all 52 Chrome. The complete grille in the background is the original that I removed from Old Spot in 1980 when I replaced it. The dark areas are not just shadows, but copper showing through. It is fairly nice though and not pitted like some.
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Aaaaa OOOO Gaaah!!!!!
                Ow, my eyes just bugged out of my head like Roger Rabbit.
                That's an amazing stash of parts. Drop me a line on whats available for grill, or if you head to ebay just keep me posted and I'll get in there and slug it out for what I need.

Comment

A few more pictures. Same table just different angles.

Grille guard set, top bar, stainless fender guard, 3 hood top trims, an extra regular bumper guard.
                  Last edited by 52-fan; 08-03-2010, 09:10 AM.
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

WOW,

That is one nice collection of 52 stuff !

Dean.

Comment

It is amazing to look at this stuff now and think of how slowly it came together. Much of it was picked up just because I didn't know what I might need for my car if it was damaged. Some was bought because it was priced right and the seller was motivated. I have also passed on buying a lot of nice parts because I just couldn't afford them.
                      I miss the days when someone would have a pile of unmarked parts on a tarp or a bunch of boxes and you could dig through and find treasures. After you paid for the item they would often ask " What does it fit?".
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Considering trying to weld repair the two broken parts (top bar and left back bars) with 350 degree pot metal/white metal/zinc die cast solder ( http://www.muggyweld.com/super1.html ).
                        Attached Files

Comment

I just put a grill on, so I have to say that the top bar repair probably will not work.
                          Grill fitment is poor here. At the outer edges, there is a gap between top bar and fenders. The 2 outermost screws attempt to pull the grill back and close that gap, but in the process are basically bending the top bar here. Which is probably why they break.
                          MAybe if the repair was attempted while the pieces were on the car in place it would be OK.

Comment

Dan the Muggy Weld is intended to allow refinishing and re-chroming following repair; I know the potential stress of fit up may pose a problem and the hope is with enough care it might be possible. As you know 52 chrome isn't easy to come by. I am a long way from needing the grill parts but fear by the time I get there there just won't be many left.

Comment

Working...
                            X