'63 Avanti Seat Belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '63 Avanti Seat Belts

The options list (from production order and dealer invoice) on my R2 (built January '63) includes the front and rear seat belts (X84 AC3288, X85 AC3288 right and left). The seller of the car owned it for past 45 years. His distinct recollection is that they used the old satin finish pull-through "airline" type buckle with heavy webbing. I thought those went away in '61 or '62. Any chance the earlier type might actually have been used? Maybe switched at the dealership in Oak Park, IL?? I believe that the belts were generally dealer-installed, anyway.

Not sure I'm quire ready for reinstalling red webbing with orange regal original interior!

Thanks.
    Gil Zimmerman
    Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
    1956 Golden Hawk
    1958 Packard Hawk
    1958 President
    1963 Avanti R2

This info may be of interest. Our R2524's production order includes AC3289 L & R which I think are probably front seat belts and were factory installed. The NEW CAR ORDER dated 11/21/02 and the DEALER INVOICE dated 01/31/63 have the cost plus add on's to the total of "2 seat belts 18.80" which makes me think that the car was ordered with two front seat belts and then two rears were installed by the dealer, Maffe Bros., Inc., at delivery. The same item is added to the total on the DI, but it is typewritten. $4.050.00 plus $18.50 and a new total of $4, 068.50. I would think rear seat belts would be a factory installed option if originally ordered. Probably, some of you have better opinions as to what most likely took place.

The four belts are web type and have matching chromium buckles with gold crests saying Studebaker. I wonder if the inclusion of the seat belts on the NCO were added at the time of delivery so it would match the DI.
    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

'63 Avanti Seat Belts

I had great luck with custom belts from these folks: http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/
      Despite their name, they can custom-make belts in any fabric or color and were good to deal with. They will send samples before you buy too. And the pricing wasn't as bad as I was figuring.
      Good Luck
      Dick Shurson
      63 Avanti 63-R1028
      49 2R5

Comment

I'm reasonably sure that those front and rear AC3288 belts originally ordered for 63R2564 were the same deep red, almost burgundy belts with chrome/gold buckles that I had installed in my old '57 Golden Hawk at Frost & French in 1966. If so, I'm also reasonably sure they would have looked terrible with the orange or tangerine interior of this car. I'm guessing that the buyer had them replaced with an older style "aircraft" style in a different shade of red or red-orange. The recent seller of the Avanti has been a very credible guy, but he purchased the car used in '65. Sometime in the seventies he discarded what he assumed were the original belts (though the eye bolts remain behind the rear seat) and replaced the front belts only with generic push-button release type belts.

I agree about the custom offerings at Ssnake Oyl. I have their really nice brushed chrome lift buckles with coarse-woven black webbing in my 56J, may do something similar for the Avanti.
        Gil Zimmerman
        Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
        1956 Golden Hawk
        1958 Packard Hawk
        1958 President
        1963 Avanti R2

Comment

RiversideVW, for what it's worth...

My Avanti was also made in January, 1963 and it came with (to quote the window sticker):
          X84 AC 3289 L & R Seat Belts FT for $18.50
          They are the metal to metal type.

A couple of questions:
          -I guess X85 are the rear seatbelts?

-And a question prompted by RiversideVW's first post...Did cars ever have the metal to fabric seat belts?

I recall them from an airpline flight in my early childhood, but I don't recall seeing them in a car since by the time seatbelts were encouraged in cars (circa 1963) metal to metal types were common.
          In fact, if you see light plane ads from the period, occasionally they'll mention "new" metal to metal seat belts...obviously safer since (I'd guess...I'm no Ralph Nader, thank God!) that a person repeatedly clamping down on the same part of fabric with an old style seatbelt would weaken that part of the belt over time.
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
            RiversideVW, for what it's worth...

My Avanti was also made in January, 1963 and it came with (to quote the window sticker):
            X84 AC 3289 L & R Seat Belts FT for $18.50
            They are the metal to metal type.

A couple of questions:
            -I guess X85 are the rear seatbelts?

-And a question prompted by RiversideVW's first post...Did cars ever have the metal to fabric seat belts?

I recall them from an airpline flight in my early childhood, but I don't recall seeing them in a car since by the time seatbelts were encouraged in cars (circa 1963) metal to metal types were common.
            In fact, if you see light plane ads from the period, occasionally they'll mention "new" metal to metal seat belts...obviously safer since (I'd guess...I'm no Ralph Nader, thank God!) that a person repeatedly clamping down on the same part of fabric with an old style seatbelt would weaken that part of the belt over time.
            They were offered by Studebaker in '55 through '57 for sure; don't know when they were replaced by the more common (today) type. The old "aircraft" style seat belts were sold under the brand name "Karbelt" and in Studebaker apps the buckle end was inboard, and the cloth end was connected to the rear of the door (!?!?!?!?!)

nate
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Gil, whada ya think about using some Fawn Beige Color Belts to match the dash and door panels? I don't know about you, but that might work for me, if I had the Orange seats.

The S.I. Studebaker Repro Tan, or the NEW off-white belts may be close, I have not seen any belts in the new colors that were added to the 2010 Catalog yet.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 08-02-2010, 03:00 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Gil, whada ya think about using some Fawn Beige Color Belts to match the dash and door panels? I don't know about you, but that might work for me, if I had the Orange seats.
                Not a bad idea, Rich. The ivory webbing at Snake Oyl might work:

http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/mm5/mercha...ode=SB_WEBBING

... but would probably need to ask Willie down at the shop to put on white gloves and surgical scrub suit when he gets in the Avanti...
                Gil Zimmerman
                Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                1956 Golden Hawk
                1958 Packard Hawk
                1958 President
                1963 Avanti R2

Comment

For what it is worth I noted that when I recently did the window price sticker for Gil's Avanti the original order number for the seat belts were X84 and part number AC-3288. I checked numerous other original Avanti production orders and window price stickers and all but one lists the seat belts as number AC-3289. This leads me to believe that there were two different styles of belts used on the Avanti and each carried a separate part number.
                  Richard Quinn
                  Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Very nice window sticker Richard! I have a good question for you: Have you ever figured out how they would have identified the Interior as a "Regal" and not a "Standard" interior?

Gil's car is somewhat unusual I think in that it was not a "Standard" Orange Interior, but one with pleated seat inserts and door panels instead of perferated inserts and totally Plain door panels, which was the case with a lot of early cars with Orange Interior, like the White prototype used in the June 1962 Dealer demo flying boxcar flights.
                    So would the 13 P 6331 model code be different, or the interior code: 13 933 ORV (Orange Vinyl) be rolled?
                    StudeRich

Comment

Deluxe Trim - Plain doors and perforated seats - order code began with a 7. Orange code is 733 ORV.

Regal Trim - Pleated doors and pleated seats - order code began with a 9. Orange code is 933 ORV.
                      Bob Langer
                      Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Thanks Bob, exactly what I wanted to know, and we also now know that Gil's Interior was ordered as a Regal.

MY Deluxe Interior '63, is a: "Trim 14 753 RDV" for Red Vinyl, so the 53 could be for Red, and it does have a (7) Deluxe Interior. Unless because it is a re-typed old style Production Order, the "5" is a typo.
                        Last edited by StudeRich; 08-02-2010, 08:58 PM.
                        StudeRich

Comment

Andy, the seller, included original parts and service books with the R2. The parts manual (December 1963 edition) lists seven different parts numbers for the belts, each for a different color. AC-3288 belt kit was red webbing, AC -3289 belts were apparently the black variant. Others are AC-3242 (gray), AC-3285 (blue), AC-3286 (brown), AC-3287 (turquoise), AC-3400 (maroon).

Thanks all!

Gil
                          Gil Zimmerman
                          Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                          1956 Golden Hawk
                          1958 Packard Hawk
                          1958 President
                          1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Originally posted by Dick S. View Post
                            I had great luck with custom belts from these folks: http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/
                            Despite their name, they can custom-make belts in any fabric or color and were good to deal with. They will send samples before you buy too. And the pricing wasn't as bad as I was figuring.
                            Good Luck
                            Dick Shurson
                            63 Avanti 63-R1028
                            49 2R5
                            Dick, I did go with Ssnake Oyl. The S-I belts are perfectly good, I have a set in the '58 sedan, but Ssnake Oyl has a great selection of webbing materials and high quality buckles for their custom product line. The coarse woven black and red fabrics are terrific and affordable webbings. A swatch of ivory webbing would have been OK, if the car were something like a Buick Riviera. I was about to pick up the phone and order the coarse weave black with brushed chrome lift release buckles when a second selection of samples arrived yesterday. They included a heavy "knobby" weave orange-red which is an essentially perfect match. It was once offered in Chrysler performance cars, high-end imports and private aircraft. It's a limited inventory NOS webbing and OMG expensive. Now I can clear all those swatches off the kitchen table.

Ever since the Rangoon Red carpet project for the Speedster a few months ago, my wife is convinced that I am in a severe late midlife crisis, if not advanced dementia!

Gil
                            Gil Zimmerman
                            Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                            1956 Golden Hawk
                            1958 Packard Hawk
                            1958 President
                            1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Good thread!

Good question, well asked.
                              Great answers, all adding to knowledge base.

(and I am not even an Avanti guy...)
                              Jeff
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X