Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil filter?

Hey guys,

Couple quick questions here in regards to my straight 6 motor.

First, is this afterthought-looking contraption on the top of my engine where an oil filter might go?

Second question. If this is what I suspect it to be, the lines leading to and away from this thing are no longer connected to anything. Where should they be connected?

Thanks!

PS-I swear, as soon as I can afford it, I'm getting those shop manuals and I'll quit asking silly questions! Okay, maybe not, but I'll try!

--------
    Restoring my grandfather's '60 Lark, one rusted bolt at a time.

Maple Lake, Minnesota
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

...And if it's not for an oil filter, what the heck is it???

--------

Maple Lake, Minnesota

Comment

...And if it's not for an oil filter, what the heck is it???

--------

Maple Lake, Minnesota

Comment

I don't own a 6 so I can't help on where the pipes go, but according to the illustrations in the '59~64 Chassis Parts Catalog that is an oil filter base & braket for a "Sealed Can Type" oil filter used on the 59S & 60S models. Hope that helps.

Dan Peterson
        Montpelier, VT
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)
        1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible
        Dan Peterson
        Montpelier, VT

Comment

I don't own a 6 so I can't help on where the pipes go, but according to the illustrations in the '59~64 Chassis Parts Catalog that is an oil filter base & braket for a "Sealed Can Type" oil filter used on the 59S & 60S models. Hope that helps.

Dan Peterson
          Montpelier, VT
          1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible
          Dan Peterson
          Montpelier, VT

Comment

Jim; your oil filter base takes a Fram PB50 or equivalent, and I am certainly not recommending that brand, it's the one I used to use and that Studebaker often used, so I can remember the number. I use the Wix filters now. Most dealers installed this optional filter farther forward on the head, this is the first one I've seen mounted all the way to the rear. It is the correct filter base though.

The pressure source is one of the square 1/8" pipe plugs on the right side of the engine, (they all go into the same oil gallery) and there should be a return pipe plug down lower on the left side. If not, there may be one at the bottom of oil filler pipe.

StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Jim; your oil filter base takes a Fram PB50 or equivalent, and I am certainly not recommending that brand, it's the one I used to use and that Studebaker often used, so I can remember the number. I use the Wix filters now. Most dealers installed this optional filter farther forward on the head, this is the first one I've seen mounted all the way to the rear. It is the correct filter base though.

The pressure source is one of the square 1/8" pipe plugs on the right side of the engine, (they all go into the same oil gallery) and there should be a return pipe plug down lower on the left side. If not, there may be one at the bottom of oil filler pipe.

StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
              X