Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meeting a new "mate" at the Sky Hawk auction

An addendum to the 1956 Sky Hawk Auction discussed in another thread:

A nice experience today was meeting SDC Aussie member Brian Greenall's transplanted [to the United States] buddy -or, in more proper Aussie-eze, "mate"- Kevin Bailey. Kevin runs a shipping service out of Indianapolis, Cheetah Imports, storing vehicles and parts for eventual shipment overseas. When he has accumulated a full container, he packages the container for shipment to Austrailia.

Regular forum folks may recall Brian Greenall buying the Bermuda Brown 1964 Daytona convertible in Virginia earlier this year. Brian had it shipped to Kevin's holding pen here in Indianapolis. Brian then alerted me to the Daytona having arrived in Indianapolis, in case I wanted to contact Kevin and go see the car.

As it turned out, Kevin was going to attend the Sky Hawk auction today, so we met at the auction site for the first time. Kevin wasn't going to let the Sky Hawk go too cheap either, as he thought Brian might want it for shipment to Australia. The Sky Hawk's bidding proved a little salty for Kevin in the end (as it did for me and Joe Bacon!), but Kevin was able to buy the 1957 GMC 3/4-ton pickup also in the auction, shown in the auction pictures with the Sky Hawk, in the Sky Hawk's thead.

Kevin migrated from Austrailia to the United States last year at the behest of a Yankee Lady he met on line and subsequently married just a year ago, on the 4th of July 2009. Kevin really likes it here in the 'States (at least he said he does!)

I really enjoy talking to folks with heavy British or Aussie accents, but I cautioned Kevin that his may go away over time, a prospect he didn't particularly embrace. I say this because I have listened to Indianapolis Motor Speedway Historian Donald Davidson for years since Donald moved to Indianapolis from England maybe 20 years ago. Donald had a heavy British accent when he arrived, but little of it remains now. A strange phenomena, eh?

Anyway, Brian's 1964 Daytona convertible is safely tucked away in Kevin's warehouse, awaiting its journey across the Pacific Pond, surrounded by a growing pile of Studebaker parts that Kevin says are also destined for Brian / Austrailia.

It was good to meet a new friend in the area! BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 07-07-2010, 05:56 PM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Neat story Bob.
    Wow we have very our own SDC International "Ambassador" Mr. Bob (Congenial) Palma!
    I like it!

Now as the SDC Ambassador/SDC International PR Rep. you can be added to the list of SDC'ers that actually "Deal" with the Australians, New Zealanders etc, etc.
    Like:
    Bob Peterson
    Bill Oliver
    John Poulos and others.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-07-2010, 08:58 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

And the Sky Hawk sold for?
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
        And the Sky Hawk sold for?
        $1760

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ross-the-block
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Good show, Bob. Any friend of me mate Brian's is a friend of mine

Speaking of which, it's about time for me to go on another appraisal mission for you Brian.....
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

BP, glad you caught up with Kevin ( after I sent you correct phone number) he is a good guy. If I had known about the Skyhawk I might have contracted you to do a bid BP. I spoke with Kevin today and he said there was a Lark at the auction, he is not quite up with the Stude models, I need you to give him some lessons. He said he might have found a 51 Starlight for me which I have been trying to source for a while, but i might have to get you to go with him to look at the car, it might be a different model !
            Hey Bams, I am kicking back at the minute on buying, we have a few coming across the (big pond) at the moment, eg 64 Daytona Hardtop, 64 Daytona Convertible, 51 Business Coupe.
            Regards Brian.
            Brian Greenall
            Melbourne, OZ
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post
              BP, glad you caught up with Kevin ( after I sent you correct phone number) he is a good guy. If I had known about the Skyhawk I might have contracted you to do a bid BP. I spoke with Kevin today and he said there was a Lark at the auction, he is not quite up with the Stude models, I need you to give him some lessons. He said he might have found a 51 Starlight for me which I have been trying to source for a while, but i might have to get you to go with him to look at the car, it might be a different model !
              Regards Brian.
              Well, Brian, if there was another Studebaker of any type on the auction premises, I didn't see it. There sure wasn't one offered in the auction.

Another interesting vehicle (kinda) will be coming up as soon as they get the paperwork; the 1971 Datsun Lil' Hustler pickup sitting right next to the Sky Hawk, visible in the pictures. The Lil' Hustler is an unusually nice little truck on the original tires (or would that be tyres?) with only 16,XXX actual miles on it! I have little interest in those, but seeing a real, 16,XXX-mile 1971 anything in garaged, original condition is interesting in and of itself.

Yes, it was good to meet and spend time with Kevin; an interesting fellow. And I love the accent. Cheers. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I recently read that automobile import regulations into Australia have been, or will soon be, tightened up.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My mother used to say, rather dryly, that a British accent is kind of like fungus under the 'nails. One never quite gets rid of it.

I wonder, is Brian accquainted with Tony Moisley and his brother, Nick?
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

From a year of living under the Australian sun, I can tell you that those folks are about as crazy about cars as they are about beer or bar-b-ques. In the little town I lived in there was even a '63 Lark sitting under a car port on my walk to school during one point - but the people are really what make the place a great place to visit/live.

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                      My mother used to say, rather dryly, that a British accent is kind of like fungus under the 'nails. One never quite gets rid of it.

I wonder, is Brian accquainted with Tony Moisley and his brother, Nick?
                      Brian lives in Melbourne on the east coast whereas the Moisleys live in Perth on the west coast of Australia. I guess they may have met for the first time at the Glendale Meet last month & no doubt they will meet again knowing their respective passions for Studebaker.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                      MELBOURNE.

Comment

Good point on those accents, BP. I once knew a Hoosier who moved to Ohio (Shanghaied, obviously) and after 20 years you could hardly tell the difference. Unless you were, you know, from here.

Comment

Working...
                        X