Very clean and original 1961 Crusier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very clean and original 1961 Crusier

I was driving my 58 Scotty this 4th of July weekend When to my eye's there before me was a 61 Cruiser 4 door all original. The factory interior was all in out standing shape for it's age as was the body.

It had a $4,500 dollar price tag on it's for sale sign in the back window, It was a off white color and had light brown interior. I could see some stains on the seats and a few wear spots on the carpet. But it's padded dash and paint was looking really good, I could tell it had some touch up some time back years ago but everything was so clean and original it was breath taking. V-8 automatic. Most all the chrome looked like it was just put on yesterday.

The for sale sign on it said it was originally from Kansas, Which explained the under the dash vintage air conditioner and no radio. I got to say the car was a beauty.

I just got caught not more then an hour ago looking on the internet at chrome goodies, and times being what they are I looked at my wife who just got out of the hospital and thought of all those co payment billings coming in and I did something that felt very unnatural for me, I walked away and didn't write down the guys telephone number and didn't knock on the door of the house it was parked in front of.

I sad tear comes to my eye just thinking about it , this time last year I'd of ran to the bank garbed the money and ran back to bring it home. I had to drive back home and park my Scottmans and looking at the other 5 Studebakers in my back yard looked upon my fleet and had to say sorry to them all.

Doe's anyone have any knowledge of the car to which I'm speaking about. It was In down town Allyn Washington.

It's dual headlights and shiny grill still haunts me.

*IF* I remember right; yes, I know just a little about it. I contacted the guy awhile back, and never heard back from him. I too thought it was a beauty!
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Hi Dylan ..... Just found it on Craigs list ,it's listed for $3,900. there. I haven't heard it run but I'd say it's obvious it has been cared for and probably stored for many years "in doors". I'd be surprised the motor or tranny doesn't leak some from old seals and such. I say that cause I think it's priced to cheap, that makes me wonder why? He obviously wants to sell or he wouldn't be selling it for so cheap.

I still keep thinking about it but even though I'm out of debt right now, I also don't have much money put aside either which keeps me from getting to carried away in talking to the guy. How did the guy come off to you when you spoke to him , did he seem to be straight up or evasive .

Comment

Took a quick look on CL but didn't see it. Not interested but sure would like to have a look. Any pictures or link?
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I contacted him about getting his car in the registry. He sounded like a good guy and not trying to hide anything; but never got back with the info. Then I lost track of the car.
          Dylan Wills
          Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
          1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
          1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
          1914 Ford Model T

Comment

The "Allyn Washington" is what caught my eye. I had a college math professor by that name. He went on to write textbooks and made a lot of money, enough to donate enough to the college to get a building named after him. I saw him two years ago after not seeing him for 48 years.

1961 Cruisers are one of my favorite Studebakers. I have owned several body styles of 1961 Larks, but not a Cruiser - yet. I wonder if it is a 259 or the rare option 289.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

http://s480.photobucket.com/albums/r...tudebabker.jpg

Comment

I like that 1961 Cruiser. It was ordered about as plain as you could get a Cruiser, without radio, wheelcovers, bumperettes, etc.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The for sale sign on it said it was originally from Kansas, Which explained the under the dash vintage air conditioner and no radio.
                  Yes, it DOES get hot out here on the high plains, which does explain the air conditioner. Life on the plains is is rugged and simple, but we are advanced enough to have several radio stations. Some of them were even in business as far back as the 1960s!
                  John
                  1950 Champion
                  W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                  Holdrege NE

Comment

Working...
                  X