Window Price Stickers (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Price Stickers (again)

When I took the two Coupe Deliveries to a local Cruise Night function a few nights ago I noted that everyone that came to look at the cars read with interest the window price stickers that I had posted on the side glass. It occurred to me that some forum members might not be aware that I have been making these for several years (even though it has been discussed here on more than one occasion). Now that I am officially retired from the ASC Review and the Almanac column in TW I have more time to devote to these so if you have an interest in having one made let me know. I have forms for all Studebaker cars 1931-66 and trucks 1941-1964. The price is $40 plus postage. Samples of those for two of my cars above (of course the originals are quite sharp and clear). What I need is the serial number plus all the options/accessories included on the car. I will furnish the prices using original Studebaker documentation. I can send samples for most any year and model so let me know if interested.
    Attached Files
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Excellent!
    I will start to get the informaton for my 53 commander starliner.
    Send me an email so that I will know how to contact you directly
    thanks

Comment

Very nice, and fun for car shows, no doubt.
      But the sales window sticker that details a car's options and pricing only dates to 1959. They did not exist before then.

Comment

They exist now.
        Jon Stalnaker
        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

I'll be getting ahold of you for my '66 Daytona ....thanks Richard !
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I'm a satisfied customer. Richard made one for my Avanti on a original style form.
            It's nice to display with the car because it shows folks what a high-end car the Avanti was back in 63...it really gets them out of the "economy car" company mindset.
            Last edited by JBOYLE; 07-08-2010, 09:37 AM.
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Thanks for that unsolicited testimonial! Actually I have two different forms that I use for the 1963 Avantis. The top one is the original style and the bottom is one that I made up that has a little more color. I also have 2 different forms that I use with the '64 Avanti's.
              Richard Quinn

Comment

Richard,
                Would you put up a sample for the 31 model year?
                Thanks
                Ron Butts

Comment

I still have a copy of the original purchase order for my '50 Champion which I display at car shows and cruises. Most people get a kick out of the $5 down payment....

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                    Now that I am officially retired from the ASC Review and the Almanac column in TW I have more time to devote to these so if you have an interest in having one made let me know. I have forms for all Studebaker cars 1931-66 and trucks 1941-1964. The price is $40 plus postage. Samples of those for two of my cars above (of course the originals are quite sharp and clear). What I need is the serial number plus all the options/accessories included on the car. I will furnish the prices using original Studebaker documentation. I can send samples for most any year and model so let me know if interested.

Comment

I have a photocopy of the original window sticker for my Hamilton-built '64. It has a large stamp saying "CORRECTED" on it. I always wondered what that was for, until I bought the production order from the SNM for it. The car was built for stock and as such, apparently the window sticker had no dealer name or address on it. My window sticker is printed with the dealer's name and address, and includes a destination charge, so apparently when the dealer told somebody at Studebaker that he'd take the car from their stock, a new window sticker was printed and attached to the car.
                      Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      (formerly Greenville, PA)
                      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                      All are in Australia now

Comment

Window stickerss before 1959

Originally posted by aenthal View Post
                        Very nice, and fun for car shows, no doubt.
                        But the sales window sticker that details a car's options and pricing only dates to 1959. They did not exist before then.
                        Are you saying that 1959 was the first year dealers used them?

Comment

Originally posted by Maynard View Post
                          Are you saying that 1959 was the first year dealers used them?
                          The window (Monroney) sticker as we know it today came into existence in 1959 as a Federal mandate. It was more or less to "standardize" manufacturer’s pricing & information forms and keep Dealers from adding in whatever they wanted to pumping up the price as seen by the prospective buyer. Maybe our own Dick Clemens will chime in on this thread as I recall he was working for Studebaker Dealerships around the time Monroney stickers came to be.

BTW, I hope Dick is recovering just fine from his recent surgery!!
                          Last edited by Welcome; 07-05-2010, 07:49 AM.

Comment

I did a rather comprehensive two part article on the window price stickers in the August and September1996 issue of TW (the Almanac column). In that article I traced the history of the stickers and provided images of all of the various designs used by Studebaker between 1959 and 1966. Each year was different and in some cases there were changes made within a model year. All of this is illustrated in the feature. There were no original window price stickers prior to 1959 (though in the 1950's Studebaker did distribute windshield price cards that the dealers could fill out). All of the wps I have for 1931-58 were created in Photoshop. A sample above is the 1956 Golden Hawk.

Re dealer added accessories these would not have been on the original price stickers though I have some original copies where dealers penciled in the accessories that were added. There was also a small addendum sheet that accompanied some stickers that had additional accessories. Yes I have all of the original prices for all options and accessories from 1931 thru 1966.

As to Bill's comments re the "corrected" copies I have a number of these. Cars that were ordered for stock would not have had a dealer name filled in. Once they were sold to a dealer a corrected copy would be sent to the dealer and stamped accordingly. Similarly any that may have had an error could also be replaced.
                            Richard Quinn

Comment

RICHARD, could you email me your mailing address. I would like to get one for my 31.
                              Thanks
                              Ron Butts

Comment

Working...
                              X