No announcement yet.

Window Price Stickers (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very fun and interesting. Surprising to note that directional signals were an option on a high end car like a Golden Hawk. I wonder if they were on a T-bird or Corvette. Richard, I like your more colorful versions.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Richard: I am looking at Studebaker's production order for 1956 Golden Hawk 6032356. This is the solid Cambridge Grey / overdrive car owned and restored by Idaho SDCer Pat Doherty in 2001 and 2002. It garnered 396 (IIRC) points at South Bend 2002, and was later featured on the cover of the Hemmings Classic Car special Studebaker issue.

As you know, Palma-Rhoads Packard / Nash / Studebaker in Paris IL, my father's dealership, delivered this car new on March 31, 1956. Although I never rode in the car as a youngster, I do remember sitting in it at the dealership (age 10 at the time) and enjoying the disctinctive fragrance of the genuine leather interior with which it was specially upholstered, as well documented.

That said, I noticed some suffixes to AC numbers that I hadn't noticed before. I figured you might enlighten us as to what they mean. The only suffix I'm readily familiar with is the "X" to denote at option included with the car, but to be installed by the dealer...most often wheel covers or a special radio antenna.

Numbers and suffixes from this Golden Hawk's production order include:

AC 2769BZ Directional Signals

AC2738Z, AC2762Z, AC2444Z, AC2774BZ, AC2756B, and AC2750B.

We can readily decode the numbers themselves, but to what do the suffixes BZ, Z, and B refer?
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

A few comments;
        1) 50Champ - The deposit is not unusual. As late as the 1990s, I would take whatever a customer had available to lock in a deal rather than let them walk.
        2) Welcome - Other brands, and I do not see why Studebaker would be different, had the MSRP on the window sticker. The dealer invoice (tissue) had the employee pricing on it.
        3) Bill Pressler - Corrected price stickers were fairly common in the industry. They can be for various reasons like price change (most common), changes in standard equipment or errors. Dealers are provided with corrected price stickers for the cars that they have in stock. Many dealers did not change them on the cars in stock. They just stuck them in the car's file. Of course, if there was a price increase, they managed to change them on the cars. I remember changing price stickers on all of the cars in the showrooms and the storage and display lots.
        4) ddub - Individual states had requirements on many items. The Federal government didn't get into standardizing these items across the country until the 1960s (seat belt installation, exterior mirrors, four way flashers), with a couple of exceptions (like sealed beam headlights for the 1940 model year). For your item of turn signals, New York State required them starting with the 1953 model year, but it was later when the Federal government required them on all new cars.
        5) Studebaker Wheel - Richard, I appreciate this undertaking of yours and the excellent job you do of it. We do have a little disagreement on production of window stickers, but I will not air that again here.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

'Bill Pressler - Corrected price stickers were fairly common in the industry. They can be for various reasons like price change (most common), changes in standard equipment or errors. Dealers are provided with corrected price stickers for the cars that they have in stock. Many dealers did not change them on the cars in stock. They just stuck them in the car's file. Of course, if there was a price increase, they managed to change them on the cars. I remember changing price stickers on all of the cars in the showrooms and the storage and display lots.'

I only ever hung around a GM dealership, and only ever bought GM new cars, but GM didn't have a practice of repricing cars in dealer stock when there was a price increase. I plainly remember seeing cars in stock for a long period of time with lower base and option prices than the same model sitting right next to them. I know also, from searching other dealers' inventories when I'm looking to buy, that I have often beat a price increase by buying a model that has been in stock for awhile...again, model and option prices substantiate this.

I do remember, once or twice, seeing at our local Dodge dealership, an addendum attached to the window showing in handwriting, "Price increase $xxx". I always thought, 'what a crappy piece of marketing/PR that is'.
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            Richard: I am looking at Studebaker's production order for 1956 Golden Hawk 6032356. This is the solid Cambridge Grey / overdrive car owned and restored by Idaho SDCer Pat Doherty in 2001 and 2002. It garnered 396 (IIRC) points at South Bend 2002, and was later featured on the cover of the Hemmings Classic Car special Studebaker issue.

As you know, Palma-Rhoads Packard / Nash / Studebaker in Paris IL, my father's dealership, delivered this car new on March 31, 1956. Although I never rode in the car as a youngster, I do remember sitting in it at the dealership (age 10 at the time) and enjoying the disctinctive fragrance of the genuine leather interior with which it was specially upholstered, as well documented.

That said, I noticed some suffixes to AC numbers that I hadn't noticed before. I figured you might enlighten us as to what they mean. The only suffix I'm readily familiar with is the "X" to denote at option included with the car, but to be installed by the dealer...most often wheel covers or a special radio antenna.

Numbers and suffixes from this Golden Hawk's production order include:

AC 2769BZ Directional Signals

AC2738Z, AC2762Z, AC2444Z, AC2774BZ, AC2756B, and AC2750B.

We can readily decode the numbers themselves, but to what do the suffixes BZ, Z, and B refer?
            Darned if I know Bob. I was curious myself but that's the way they appeared on the production order!
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Just a guess on B, BZ & Z:
              Left or right sides, or the same on both sides (BZ).
              What is an AC2738 and an AC2750 anyway?
              That info might give you a clue.

Comment

Originally posted by aenthal View Post
                Just a guess on B, BZ & Z:
                Left or right sides, or the same on both sides (BZ).
                What is an AC2738 and an AC2750 anyway?
                That info might give you a clue.

AC-2738 = Cap and Disk, Hub (Full Disk) 15" Equip
                AC-2750 = Cigar Lighter Complete

...and just guessing for now:

B = Boxed Kit - ship in car
                Z = Loose parts - ship in car
                BZ = Boxed kit and Loose Parts - ship in car

Comment

May have to look into this...
                  Chris Dresbach

Comment

The Color Avanti Sheet is the very one Richard did for my Avanti. It gets lots of good comments and looks great. Thanks again, Richard, for a good product and pricing.
                    Jim
                    Often in error, never in doubt
                    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jlmccuan View Post
                      The Color Avanti Sheet is the very one Richard did for my Avanti. It gets lots of good comments and looks great. Thanks again, Richard, for a good product and pricing.
                      You are welcome.

There was some previous discussion re how dealer installed accessories were handled insofar as the wps was concerned. That must have also been a concern of the dealers as well. I have found the form above attached to some of the many original stickers I have. It was not issued by Studebaker but by the Illinois Automotive Trade Association (as will be noted above). At left and original that was appended to a '62 Lark Six and at right the reproduced copy I made. These measured 3 3/4" square.
                      Richard Quinn

Comment

I was just re-reading the thread and finally stopped to read the top Avanti window sticker...
                        I thought, "Wow, it's equipped like mine."
                        Then I noticed the serial...it is mine!

Again, it's a great service at a fair price....
                        Last edited by JBOYLE; 07-08-2010, 10:49 AM.
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Just thought I'd mention that i received my window label from Richard for the '66 Daytona .......WOW!
                          A very nicely done piece of work , one would never know it was not original .
                          If you at all thinking about having one done , its very much worth it .....thanks Richard !
                          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Richard, Can you email me at dmanera@yorkcitysc.com I would like to order one for my car but I do have one question? Thanks
                            Domenic Manera, Fire Chief
                            City of York Fire Department
                            York, SC 29745
                            1954 Regal Starlight Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                              Just thought I'd mention that i received my window label from Richard for the '66 Daytona .......WOW!
                              A very nicely done piece of work , one would never know it was not original .
                              If you at all thinking about having one done , its very much worth it .....thanks Richard !
                              Thanks for that unsolicited testimonial Bob. Only the 2nd '66 I have done and I always learn something when I do them. Glad you found yours satisfactory.
                              Richard Quinn

Comment

Just wanted to note that Richard made up a window sticker for my 53 Commander, it was very well done. Less than 5 days by snail mail, it was well packaged. I went to a local Cruise Night last night, everyone that came to look at the car read with interest the window sticker. Three people took pictures of the sticker...
                                sigpic
                                Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X