"R" designation on engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "R" designation on engines

Can someone explain the "R" designations on the Studebaker engines.
    I have seen R1 up to R5 in different publications. I am assuming the higher the number the higher the engine performance.

Thanks

Sorry, I have been searching for almost an hour to find our R1,R2,R3,R4 & R5 explanation post for you using the search engine which normally works great. But with all the Guys signature including all their 2R5 trucks they own, all that comes up on R5 is their posts.
    It is very lengthy, but I could have written it by now. I'm too tired tonight, it's 12:39 maybe someone will find it or explain it tomorrow!

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Sorry, I have been searching for almost an hour to find our R1,R2,R3,R4 & R5 explanation post for you using the search engine which normally works great. But with all the Guys signature including all their 2R5 trucks they own, all that comes up on R5 is their posts.
      It is very lengthy, but I could have written it by now. I'm too tired tonight, it's 12:39 maybe someone will find it or explain it tomorrow!

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

From the Avanti.com site.

The Avanti R1 was a 289 cubic inch carbureted version with a 4 barrel and the R2 was a 289 cubic inch version equipped with a supercharger. The R3 was a special performance supercharged variation displacing 304 cubic inches and very few of these were built. The R3 version came with a bored out 304.5 cubic inch V8 stuffed into the engine bay, modified suspension and 4-wheel disc brakes. Responsibility for the aggressive engine development plans fell into the hands of Andy Granatelli of Indianapolis 500 fame. Like the earlier 289 cid R2 version, the R3 was also supercharged, fully blueprinted to racing specs and hand built by Paxton. There were also R4 and R5 performance variations, but none of these were sold to the public. The experimental "Due Cento" with the only R5 dual supercharged engine built by Paxton reached 196.62 mph.

R4's were a non-supercharged version of the R3's. Approximately 140 R3/R4 engines were made. Only a fraction of these still exist. These engines display many serial number irregularities: some prototypes were not numbered; very early ones have RS stamped on the block; two experimental numbers are EX2123 and EX2132; one prototype number is RS1021; and others start with B1 and go as high as B153.
        Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

From the Avanti.com site.

The Avanti R1 was a 289 cubic inch carbureted version with a 4 barrel and the R2 was a 289 cubic inch version equipped with a supercharger. The R3 was a special performance supercharged variation displacing 304 cubic inches and very few of these were built. The R3 version came with a bored out 304.5 cubic inch V8 stuffed into the engine bay, modified suspension and 4-wheel disc brakes. Responsibility for the aggressive engine development plans fell into the hands of Andy Granatelli of Indianapolis 500 fame. Like the earlier 289 cid R2 version, the R3 was also supercharged, fully blueprinted to racing specs and hand built by Paxton. There were also R4 and R5 performance variations, but none of these were sold to the public. The experimental "Due Cento" with the only R5 dual supercharged engine built by Paxton reached 196.62 mph.

R4's were a non-supercharged version of the R3's. Approximately 140 R3/R4 engines were made. Only a fraction of these still exist. These engines display many serial number irregularities: some prototypes were not numbered; very early ones have RS stamped on the block; two experimental numbers are EX2123 and EX2132; one prototype number is RS1021; and others start with B1 and go as high as B153.
          Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Ok I'd like to see the parts numbers for the rear disc brakes on the R3 Avantis.[}]

3E38
            4E2
            4E28
            5E13
            7E7
            8E7
            8E12
            8E28
            4E2
            59 Lark
            etc

Comment

Ok I'd like to see the parts numbers for the rear disc brakes on the R3 Avantis.[}]

3E38
              4E2
              4E28
              5E13
              7E7
              8E7
              8E12
              8E28
              4E2
              59 Lark
              etc

Comment

The Avanti.com site is down, but if that is actually their explanation, I think they could do better.

I'm no Avanti expert and no Jet Thrust expert, but...

What suspension modifications?

What 4 wheel disc brakes?

Didn't R4's have 2 four barrels?

Wasn't an R1 different from all other single 4 barrel carburated 289's? (and how do you spell carburated?)

Was the supercharger the only difference between an R2 and a normal 289?

Were no R4's actually sold to the public? How did Paul get his?

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

The Avanti.com site is down, but if that is actually their explanation, I think they could do better.

I'm no Avanti expert and no Jet Thrust expert, but...

What suspension modifications?

Wasn't an R1 different from all other single 4 barrel carburated 289's? (and how do you spell carburated?)

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

I believe the "suspension modifications" were backdating the upper inner control arm shafts, bushings, and upper control arms to the solid threaded steel type as used on the first cars to use that suspension layout (I want to say '51 Commander?)

I don't know about four wheel disc brakes - I have not seen any. Bob Kapetyn might be able to answer this, as I believe that he owns a factory R3 Avanti.

you are right, R4 = dual quads on an R3

yes, the R1 had higher compression pistons and several other unique parts (oil pan, windage tray, harmonic balancer, dual point distributor)

R2 = R1 with blower and different heads (lower compression) and sealed carburetor, slightly different fuel pump - otherwise pretty much identical

I don't know that any R4's were sold to the public *factory installed.* Paxton Products was more than happy to sell "crate engines" however.

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

I believe the "suspension modifications" were backdating the upper inner control arm shafts, bushings, and upper control arms to the solid threaded steel type as used on the first cars to use that suspension layout (I want to say '51 Commander?)

I don't know about four wheel disc brakes - I have not seen any. Bob Kapetyn might be able to answer this, as I believe that he owns a factory R3 Avanti.

you are right, R4 = dual quads on an R3

yes, the R1 had higher compression pistons and several other unique parts (oil pan, windage tray, harmonic balancer, dual point distributor)

R2 = R1 with blower and different heads (lower compression) and sealed carburetor, slightly different fuel pump - otherwise pretty much identical

I don't know that any R4's were sold to the public *factory installed.* Paxton Products was more than happy to sell "crate engines" however.

nate

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

"What suspension modifications?

51-52 steel front suspension bushings

Just wrong

No, two fours.

Yes, different cam, 10.5-1 compression, much more.

No, the R2 was pretty much a lower compression R1 with a added blower.

No R4 Avanti's were sold, one R4 Lark type was, but many engines were built and installed later.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
                        64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
                        63 Avanti R1
                        63 Daytona convert-63
                        63 Lark 2 door
                        62 Lark 2 door
                        60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                        59 3E truck
                        52 & 53 Starliner
                        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

"What suspension modifications?

51-52 steel front suspension bushings

Just wrong

No, two fours.

Yes, different cam, 10.5-1 compression, much more.

No, the R2 was pretty much a lower compression R1 with a added blower.

No R4 Avanti's were sold, one R4 Lark type was, but many engines were built and installed later.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
                          64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
                          63 Avanti R1
                          63 Daytona convert-63
                          63 Lark 2 door
                          62 Lark 2 door
                          60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                          59 3E truck
                          52 & 53 Starliner
                          51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Here's another version of the answer. And if you don't like it, you can edit it yourself!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studebaker_Avanti

Skip Lackie
                            Washington DC
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

Here's another version of the answer. And if you don't like it, you can edit it yourself!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studebaker_Avanti

Skip Lackie
                              Washington DC
                              Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                              X