Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More info found on the "Turtle"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Welcome View Post
    Chris, here is a little more FYI...

    The guy with the business suite, in his trademark stance, (shoulders trussed back, fingers in both suite jacket pockets) is Mervin M. Hauser. Merv headed up Studebaker’s Quality Control Dept. for military vehicles and Avanti production to the end. You probably figured out where this picture was taken ….near the splash/water fording pit at the Studebaker Proving Grounds. I had the opportunity to work under Merv at Kaiser Jeep/AM General from 1965 to his retirement in 1973. Merv passed in 2001.
    Did you by chace work with Richard Vaughn who was also an Avanti Quality Control employee? He is on the right of the one standing in this photo.



    He gave an excellent presentation in Glendale on the problems of working with fiberglass vs. working with steel at the Studebaker plant. Of course, it never entered anyone's mind to ask if he was involved in any of the Defence Division's projects.

    Craig

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
      Did you by chace work with Richard Vaughn who was also an Avanti Quality Control employee? He is on the right of the one standing in this photo.<<<>>> He gave an excellent presentation in Glendale on the problems of working with fiberglass vs. working with steel at the Studebaker plant. Of course, it never entered anyone's mind to ask if he was involved in any of the Defence Division's projects.
      Craig
      Sorry, I do not recognize the gentleman you refer to at the table, but then a lot of us don't look the same as we did 45+ years ago!

      If Richard V. was one of the "Lucky 600" who walked out of Studebaker and into to Kaiser-Jeep in the 1964-65 timeframe, there is a very good chance I had worked with him in one capacity or another over the years.

      Comment


      • #33
        Was it Wheel Horse??
        Chris Dresbach

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
          Was it Wheel Horse??
          Have you read this book?


          by Michael A. Martino Jr.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Welcome View Post
            Have you read this book?

            Straight from the Horse’s Mouth; The Wheel Horse Story
            by Michael A. Martino Jr.


            And Chris, another question for you…

            Would you be interested in meeting a bunch of former Studebaker Salaried Employees tomorrow (Wednesday) for breakfast? Two of them already said they’d look over your photos, etc. and offer any info they may have.
            Man that's short notice... What time and where? I would love to go, but I'm also leaving for the Winnamac tractor show tomorrow and won't be back until Sunday.
            Chris Dresbach

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
              Man that's short notice... What time and where? I would love to go, but I'm also leaving for the Winnamac tractor show tomorrow and won't be back until Sunday.
              Maybe that's because some call us "short timers"???

              PM sent with details of retiree's breakfast meeting...

              Comment


              • #37
                Yesterday I talked with a gentleman who worked in Studebakers design and styling department from 1953-'58. I described my "Turtle" to him in as best detail as I possible could. Since he quit in 1958 and was not part of the Defence Division, he had nothing to do with the development of the Turtle. BUT, whith what I could describe it sounds authentic. (Described as a "Turtle skeletion) (btw: I didn't mention any of the photos and the letter I gound until after this...) So this Turtle is half confirmed. lol
                Last edited by Chris_Dresbach; 07-28-2010, 07:57 AM.
                Chris Dresbach

                Comment


                • #38
                  ..........Edited out, wrong info..........
                  Last edited by Chris_Dresbach; 08-19-2010, 07:08 PM.
                  Chris Dresbach

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Today I got a copy of the June 1979 issue of Turning Wheels from Larry Yanoshik. Thanks Larry! It includes the only (that I know if) ad for the Turtle from the defense division. After looking at the pic of the Turtle, I noticed something kinda funny... The "photo" that goes with the ad is actually a drawing made in 1962, BEFORE 1963 when the Turtle(s) were actually made. In the drawing, the REAR tires are made to be the same size as the front and treaded! Why is this important??? Because in the engineering photos above, they switched the rear wheels to non treaded coaster wheels in the back. This could also indicate that the Turtle was originally going to be a 4X4. Now, this is important to mine because mine has wheels that are the same size all the way around too, like the one drawn up in 1962.

                    COULD THIS MEAN ANYTHING?!?!?!? Heck, I dunno, but Ill take is as evidence!
                    Chris Dresbach

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                      Today I got a copy of the June 1979 issue of Turning Wheels from Larry Yanoshik. Thanks Larry! It includes the only (that I know if) ad for the Turtle from the defense division. After looking at the pic of the Turtle, I noticed something kinda funny... The "photo" that goes with the ad is actually a drawing made in 1962, BEFORE 1963 when the Turtle(s) were actually made. In the drawing, the REAR tires are made to be the same size as the front and treaded! Why is this important??? Because in the engineering photos above, they switched the rear wheels to non treaded coaster wheels in the back. This could also indicate that the Turtle was originally going to be a 4X4. Now, this is important to mine because mine has wheels that are the same size all the way around too, like the one drawn up in 1962.

                      COULD THIS MEAN ANYTHING?!?!?!? Heck, I dunno, but Ill take is as evidence!
                      I think I could also possibly add more to this. If the Turtle was originally supposed to be a 4X4, it would be a pain to steer and would have to steer in the middle like mine does. But with the coaster wheels, they would get clogged with mud. I think this could possibly be a big part of why it was never produced in either form. I also got to thinking about how mine could float. If it had hulls formed around the "baskets" around the wheels, it would float, be four wheel drive, and still steer. The only problem with that design is that it would weaken the cargo hold. On the third Turtle prototype, they eliminated the center steering and added coaster wheels at the back which greately streathened the cargo hold because now the entire weight of the cargo could rest on the entire suspension. The strongest part of the cargo hold on mine is the front. The problem with the third design is now the rear of the Turtle has coaster wheels that can get clogged with mud, start to make a plow, and get stuck.
                      Let the weird shade of gray represent two hulls on mine:

                      The blue a flood line...

                      And brown mud...


                      Horrible art work by myself...

                      Ok, any thoughts??????
                      Chris Dresbach

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Chris Dresbach

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Even more info found.
                          It turns out that the first Turtle was indeed supposed to be FOUR WHEEL DRIVE and I found written proof of that! It says that it was supposed to be a 4X4 in the advertisement that appeared in Turning Wheels. This could be important because of how mine has four large tires all the way around that would suggest four wheel drive. I wonder if Studebaker changed this on the third design because it would require a double hull (like mine has/would have). Still not serial number proof that my Turtle is a Turtle, but could be a clue...
                          Chris Dresbach

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X