Found: Original Owner of my 64 R1 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found: Original Owner of my 64 R1 Hawk

So, 37 years ago, in June 1973, Bob Palma and I took off from Indianapolis in my 63 Blue Hawk to tow the 64 R1 Hawk I was buying back to Indy from Genoa, Oh-south of Toledo. (We had done another tow trip the previous Thanksgiving in Bob's truck over to Illinois to meet Ron Hall, coming home from school in Texas and towing a red Hawk body shell I bought from Ed Flaherty, but that's another story).The seller was hospitable, put us up for the night, and we towed the car back the next day. Unfortunately, there was limited history about the owners of the car beyond then the name of the inindividual the seller had purchased it from, who was not the original owner.

Over the years I got a copy of the Passenger Car Production Order from Avanti Parts, later a copy of the Drive Away Shipper from Newman Altman showing it originally sold in South Bend. Then about 10 years ago Richard Quinn offerred to do some research. Richard found the Studebaker Retail Delivery IBM keypunch card which listed the original owner's name and address. However, she had left that address long ago and internet name searches turned up no same name. I called some people around South Bend with the same last name, but gave up calling when one man I called said that the woman and her husband were distant relatives, but had passed away years ago with no children.

Over the last 9 or 10 years I did similar name searches a couple of times, never turning up anyone with her first name. Yesterday I did another name search and her name turned up in Michigan, about 45 miles from South Bend. The same address had previously appeared on searches with a man's first name, but I hadn't made any further calls after being told years ago that they had passed away. I called her, identified myself, and asked her if she ever owned a Studebaker. She said "I sure did-a silver colored Hawk with a maroon interior! I was a Studebaker employee!" She said she still often thinks about that car! Anyway, I told her I'd send her some pictures and she thought she might also stiil have some pictures of it! She really had fond memories of the car.

The one point I'd like to resolve is this: Both the Drive Away Shipper and the Retail Delivery Card state the car was sold by Newman Altman. But Delores clearly remembers buying it as an employee right off Lot 151. So did Studebaker have to channel those employees sales on paper through the local dealers? Any light on this is appreciated. Thanks. Dan

Neat! Glad you kept searching, and, an interesting question about employee vehicle purchases.
    JS
    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Originally posted by ivorydan View Post
      So, 37 years ago, in June 1973, Bob Palma and I took off from Indianapolis in my 63 Blue Hawk to tow the 64 R1 Hawk I was buying back to Indy from Genoa, Oh-south of Toledo. (We had done another tow trip the previous Thanksgiving in Bob's truck over to Illinois to meet Ron Hall, coming home from school in Texas and towing a red Hawk body shell I bought from Ed Flaherty, but that's another story).The seller was hospitable, put us up for the night, and we towed the car back the next day. Unfortunately, there was limited history about the owners of the car beyond then the name of the inindividual the seller had purchased it from, who was not the original owner.

Over the years I got a copy of the Passenger Car Production Order from Avanti Parts, later a copy of the Drive Away Shipper from Newman Altman showing it originally sold in South Bend. Then about 10 years ago Richard Quinn offerred to do some research. Richard found the Studebaker Retail Delivery IBM keypunch card which listed the original owner's name and address. However, she had left that address long ago and internet name searches turned up no same name. I called some people around South Bend with the same last name, but gave up calling when one man I called said that the woman and her husband were distant relatives, but had passed away years ago with no children.

Over the last 9 or 10 years I did similar name searches a couple of times, never turning up anyone with her first name. Yesterday I did another name search and her name turned up in Michigan, about 45 miles from South Bend. The same address had previously appeared on searches with a man's first name, but I hadn't made any further calls after being told years ago that they had passed away. I called her, identified myself, and asked her if she ever owned a Studebaker. She said "I sure did-a silver colored Hawk with a maroon interior! I was a Studebaker employee!" She said she still often thinks about that car! Anyway, I told her I'd send her some pictures and she thought she might also stiil have some pictures of it! She really had fond memories of the car.

The one point I'd like to resolve is this: Both the Drive Away Shipper and the Retail Delivery Card state the car was sold by Newman Altman. But Delores clearly remembers buying it as an employee right off Lot 151. So did Studebaker have to channel those employees sales on paper through the local dealers? Any light on this is appreciated. Thanks. Dan
      Interesting, Dan.

I concur with your supposition: AFAIK, The Studebaker Corporation proper was not a registered, retail Indiana Motor Vehicle Dealer, so they would have to "run" the paperwork for a given employee sale through a dealership. The car was most likely never on the dealership property before the delivery, but the paperwork had been. Too, the Corporation would not have been a Registered Indiana Retail Merchant, so they would not have had the authority or ability to collect sales tax on employee transactions.

So, yes, Delores' recollection of picking it up from Lot 151 after it went through "Service for Retail Delivery" somewhere else within the corporation, would all be proper and to be expected. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

What a great story. I alway try to name my cars after the first female owner's first name. Delores would be a great name for your car. You should make a road trip and offer her a ride in her/your car. I am certain that she would think the world of it.

Comment

This is a cool thing to do.
          I know for a fact that my initial owner has passed he was well into his 80's and family sold the car. Back in the 90's when the second owner bought the car she sat on it for about 20 years before i bought it from her. She was in her mid 70's and starting to ail. But I made a promised her I would get back to her and give her a ride and show her the work I have done on it. Soon I can do that i hope before fall. I just got new rims for the car so road trips wont be a problem. I'll be posting more info about this when it happens.
          I have a 1950 4 door Commander a 51 land cruiser And a 52 Champion
          sigpic
          I'll Tattoo you anytime!
          And you can find me at....

New Shop Name Same tattoo shop
          Crazy Lady Ink
          Shakopee Mn.
          952-445-3281
          27 years in the tattooing biz

Comment

Originally posted by 58PackardWagon View Post
            Delores would be a great name for your car.
            Yeech, not a very attractive name! My sister's name is Dolores, and we always teased her that Dad was so mad his first-born wasn't a boy he punished her with that name. Never came up, but I always wondered, with all the names they could have chosen, how did they settle on that?? Must have been a serious name shortage during the Korean War... maybe they went with all the good chrome... Of course, when we were kids I used to call her "DUH"-lores

BTW- few know her actual name; she has always been known as "Dee" or "Dolly".
            Last edited by bams50; 06-30-2010, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Dan, thanks for sharing your story with us and very glad you were finally able to make contact with the original owner!!!

Couple of things:What is it with these Studebaker Employee Women and their high powered Hawks?

Comment

Geeze Bams you're sort of insulting folks with the name of Delores aren't you? I don't think it is a bad name and the idea of naming Dan's Hawk after its original owner is kind of cool, especially after all the effort Dan put into finding her.

Dan, this is indeed a lovely story. You are to be congratulated on your successful search. I like the idea of you driving up in the Hawk to give its original a ride. I bet she would really get a kick out of that.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Jim, she told me she worked in the Studebaker Parts Dept. The sales order box on the Production Order only says 15643. Dan

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                    Geeze Bams you're sort of insulting folks with the name of Delores aren't you? I don't think it is a bad name and the idea of naming Dan's Hawk after its original owner is kind of cool, especially after all the effort Dan put into finding her.
                    Nah, just goofing around a little. I do pick on my sister some about it. I will claim the early of of the post as an excuse No harm intended.

Comment

Originally posted by ivorydan View Post
                      Jim, she told me she worked in the Studebaker Parts Dept.<<<
                      Thought so! Please tell her I said hello next time you talk with her.

Among other things over the years, Delores wrote me out one of those old fashion carbon copy receipts for the LAST Parts Dept. sale on the very day Studebaker completely vacated Plant # 8.

Comment

Great story Dan, thanks for sharing. I hope others here share similar stories as I find these accounts very interesting. As for the name 'Delores', I think it is a very nice name and I happen to have a great-aunt in Indiana by the name of Delores.

Speaking of stories, I've got a feeling that Jim Bella (Welcome) has some stories to share as he has been in and around 'Stude' Bend for many years. Tell us more, Jim!
                        Last edited by Milaca; 06-30-2010, 07:37 PM.
                        sigpic
                        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Working...
                        X