57 Silver Hawk Hardtop K3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
    Is it just the fact that they came with 259's in them or are the really different in any other way?
    Brian
    They are K bodies (hardtop), not C bodies (coupe), as most 1957 Hawks were.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
      I guess that I had forgotten that there was a K body Silver Hawk. How can you tell without seeing the emblem or looking under the hood?
      They are a K body (hardtop), not a C body (coupe), like most 1957 Silver Hawks.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Besides the K in the body tag, was there any other # or letter on the tag to tell you tis was a Silver Hawk not a Golden Hawk?
        Brian
        Brian Woods
        woodysrods@shaw.ca
        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Besides the K in the body tag, was there any other # or letter on the tag to tell you tis was a Silver Hawk not a Golden Hawk?
          Brian
          Yes, a 1957 Silver Hawk hardtop is a 57B-K and a 1957 Golden Hawk is a 57H-K.

EDIT: This answer relates to the 259 V8 Silver Hawk hardtop (vs. a Golden Hawk). A 1957 Silver Hawk hardtop with a six cylinder engine would be a 57G-K.
          Last edited by studegary; 07-03-2010, 03:03 PM.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            And here's the one from Old Autos...

Michael Bostedt
            Sweden
            Ah, Marmora! Lovely little village. That car would be one in Roy Graham's collection. Roy has a lot of interesting cars, from hulks to really decent ones. I love his 47? (or is it 49?) Commander convertible, and his "very special order by a very particular lady" 66. He has come through for me, rebuilding my 63 Wagonaire's overdrive transmission, and steering parts. He has been a vendor of Stude parts for some time. Marmora is also the village where I picked up my 57 overdrive Canadian built Champion last year, from someone who was NOT Roy (he has one of the highest percentage of Studebakers in Ontario)

Comment

Is it just the fact that they came with 259's in them or are the really different in any other way?
              Brian
              The Hardtop K3 also came with flathead 6 cylinder in 1957 and 1958. The one in NS was a 6, I believe, still available for the Canadian Market, and overseas where there were punitive taxes on V8s. The K3 Hardtop was unique in that it was NOT available in the US, where only the top of the line Hardtop K7 (Golden Hawk) was available in 57 and 58, and the K9 Hardtop (Packard Hawk) in 58, and K7 and K9 were only available with the Supercharged 289. In the US If you wanted a Hawk with a 6 or a 259/289 un-supercharged, you got a C3 Silver Hawk pillared Coupe in 57 and 58.

For 59-61, only the C6 pillared Hawk was produced (6 and V8), and 62-64, only the K6 hardtop Hawk was produced (6 and V8). I forget when the 6 ceased to be available in Canada as well as the US. Likely 1959, as all 60 Hamilton Hawks were 289 only.

Comment

Thanks Jim & Gary
                I think my question has been answered and I am straight on this now! Production #'s would be the next thing I would love to know, but I do realize they are probably very low from the history already provide on this thread.
                Thanks Again!
                Brian
                Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Thanks Jim & Gary
                  I think my question has been answered and I am straight on this now! Production #'s would be the next thing I would love to know, but I do realize they are probably very low from the history already provide on this thread.
                  Thanks Again!
                  Brian
                  Look down the thread. I gave the production number breakdown on June 29th (our 47th anniversary).
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    1957 Silver Hawk hardtop (K body) - 120 six cylinder and 248 259 V8.
                    1958 Silver hawk hardtop (K body) - 56 259 V8.
                    Thanks again Gary. That is what I was looking for when I started the thread, but I missed the numbers the first time I read it??
                    Good Roads
                    Brian
                    Brian Woods
                    woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Working...
                    X