Long-lost Lark (PIX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long-lost Lark (PIX)

Giving this a second try...timed out on me before...

At a cruise a week ago Sunday, was told about a Lark showing up on King Street in Dundas. Checked into it on Monday and found this:

'59 Lark VIII Regal 4dr, dropped off for servicing the previous Saturday at Eccles Automotive in Dundas. No one at the garage either time I dropped by knew much history on the car, just that the owner had dropped it off somewhat out of the blue on the weekend. It is a Hamilton car; under all that dirt the paint's decent, but the lower body is "going". Interior is superb for a car reportedly stored since the seventies!

More to follow...going to post one or two pix at a time to circumvent the timeout...

S.

OK, that worked...Here's the very tidy Regal interior of this '59.

And here's the engine, seen the second time I visited (by which time the car had been washed off, and a brake inspection was in progress)...

Maker's plate confirms this as a Hamilton car.

Couple more shots to follow.

S.

Comment

Rear view of the '59

The '90 Corvette alongside was for sale; no one knew whether or not the Lark would be, or whether the owner intends reactivating it for him/herself!

Another shot of the dash. The interior is really nice for such a long-inactive car...much nicer than the interior of my own '62.

S.

Comment

All you have to do to PERMANENTLY stay logged in forever, is click the "Remember me" box on log in!

That is an interesting and nice car to be in that condition IN ONTARIO after this many years!!!!!!!!!

Nice RED Interior!

It's a '59 Regal all right, it does have '60 Tail Light Lenses, and does that look like a Lark VI emblem to you on the rear panel? That would be odd.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 06-28-2010, 02:20 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Wow, just talking about this on another thread... My '50 Starlight came from Dundas!
          Sonny
          http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Wow, bet that car could turn into a very nice-looking driver with one solid weekend's work!

Out of curiosity, Steve- any idea the asking price on the Vette? Not interested, just wondered if you know.

Comment

You're right. That interior is really nice. The 4-door Lark bodies seem to be proportioned correctly. I wonder how much work is really needed to make it "right".
              Rog
              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Rich--

Does kinda look like "Lark VI" from that angle, but it's "Lark VIII".

Sonny--

How long ago, and from whom? (Incidentally I saw a new-to-me beige '50 Champion 4dr on the road en route through Dundas to look for this Lark; tried to turn around and follow the '50 but lost him because of traffic.)

Bob--

There was indeed a price on the Vette...I forget what it was though. Will have another look if the Vette is still there next time I go by. I think it was around $10K.

S.

Comment

If ever there was a car that needed a "LARKSHINE"!!!...this has to be IT !
                  StudeRich

Comment

Rich--

It would respond well to that: what almost looks like paint faded right down to primer in the exterior pix is actually an awful lot of dried dirt that hadn't been washed off yet. Here's the car after being hosed-off, a couple days later...

The paint's actually not too bad. The car's main visible problems are all in the lower body, which, as I noted at the top of the thread, is "going". Like the Alley Cat GT in the other thread, though, I'm quite sure this Lark is a viable car, way too good to be given up on.

S.

Comment

Thanks for the pics Steve, I like it's stance! It is just the way it should be, without sagging springs, for a V-8 that is saying something.

Not like some lowrider's best dream!
                      StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
                        Rich--

Sonny--

How long ago, and from whom? (Incidentally I saw a new-to-me beige '50 Champion 4dr on the road en route through Dundas to look for this Lark; tried to turn around and follow the '50 but lost him because of traffic.)

S.
                        It was an older fella who had a little car lot in Dundas, Steve. I'll be danged if I can remember his name, but I can look it up. It sat in the back of his little ramshackle, wooden garage at his car lot. I met a friend of his at a great, annual car show, not too many miles from where the car was. I got his phone number & address, called him right there, stopped on the way home, bought the car. He is, or was, a pretty well known guy, I'll have to find his info. Oh! It was about 10 years ago.
                        Sonny
                        http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Oh my, it even still has glas-belted tires on it! My Bess had Phillips 66 tires on her when she got picked up.

Nice car. I hope you get it.
                          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

If I'm not mistaken , Sonny bought Ernie Pressie's red '50 Bulletnose
                            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Ron--

I'm between jobs now with nothing in sight, so I shan't be getting this '59 even if it is for sale...more likely that someone else will end up with my own '62 instead...I think Eric Harnett should have this '59, which is a top-of-the-line V8/auto 4dr in black with a red interior, since his current Stude is a '66 V8/auto Cruiser in black with red interior...Lark-type "bookends"! However the '59 may not even be for sale. I may stop by Eccles again today sometime and try to get an update...

Sonny/Bob--

I wondered if Ernie Preece might have been involved somehow, as he lived in Dundas. His '59 Hawk was used in my brother's wedding in 1999. Red bulletnose Starlight? I know SDCer Gene Madjanovich had one of those (along with a Rio Green '51 4dr) about 25 years past...same car maybe??

The car dealership might have been Hayes Auto (not 100% sure on the name) on Cootes Drive in Dundas; that place specialized in classics and I'm sure a Stude or two passed through. Dealership isn't there anymore but the little showroom building is. I'll get a pic of it en route to Eccles if I drop by there.

The annual car show may have been one of the Waterdown swap/show events at Joe Sams Park...that's actually twice a year (spring/fall) and has been running for many years. Eric got his '66 there actually, after seeing it for sale several times.

Small world.

S.

Comment

Working...
                              X