• 51 Commander Convert.

This is just silly:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors//400021960450
    JDP Maryland

Nice mulch bin.

Comment

Man. Hard to believe people sometimes.

Comment

I noticed he was from NY, probably less than an hour from me, so I looked at his "me" page. That lead to his other listings, some real dandies! Seems like a friendly cuss. Check out the Q & A at the bottom of this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=150071283834

Comment

Originally posted by bams50 View Post
          I noticed he was from NY, probably less than an hour from me, so I looked at his "me" page. That lead to his other listings, some real dandies! Seems like a friendly cuss. Check out the Q & A at the bottom of this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=150071283834
          That Imperial does have some valueble parts i.e.: grille, bumper, tail lights, glass.
          Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
          Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
          Lizella, GA

Comment

Originally posted by Nelsen Motorsports View Post
            That Imperial does have some valueble parts i.e.: grille, bumper, tail lights, glass.
            LOL Alex! Must be you didn't read the listing or questions at the bottom. He says: I have removed just about everything worth taking except the grille and the dashboard, and they are not included with this deal.

Took a quick look through all his 69 listings and found he has plenty of entertaining Q & A. Below is my favorite:

Q: does have a nice day really mean F off ?
            A: You're welcome to interpet it however you wish - and have a nice day!

Comment

Kinda looks like my daily driver..:}

Comment

It isn't the Volo Museum, but he has a sense of humour, alright. Read a lot of the items, but the 51 Studebaker convertible still tickles me. Read the "How to pay" <g>

Comment

Originally posted by bams50 View Post
                  LOL Alex! Must be you didn't read the listing or questions at the bottom. He says: I have removed just about everything worth taking except the grille and the dashboard, and they are not included with this deal.

Took a quick look through all his 69 listings and found he has plenty of entertaining Q & A. Below is my favorite:

Q: does have a nice day really mean F off ?
                  A: You're welcome to interpet it however you wish - and have a nice day!
                  Wow! Didn't see that. Hey he'd get $500 from the scrap yard. After all it is a 4,000 lb car if it had the engine.
                  Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
                  Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
                  Lizella, GA

Comment

Eye Cabbage? lol.
                    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Nelsen Motorsports View Post
                      Hey he'd get $500 from the scrap yard. After all it is a 4,000 lb car if it had the engine.

Comment

If OCPG says a #6 is a parts car, I'd call that a #10.
                        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I don't think he cares for Paypal!

How to pay: eBay in their infinite (lack of) wisdom has chosen to make Paypal, in person payment, and other credit processing the only acceptable payments on most items. Although regular vehicle listings are exempt, they forgot to exempt this category. So be aware that to use Paypal to pay for this item, it will need to be taken apart into pieces small enough they can be shipped via FedEx or UPS. I can't imagine what the expense of that would be, given some parts would have to literally be destroyed to be small enough for them to accept and ship, and it would require easily hundreds of packages. Any questions, just let me know.
                          Jeff DeWitt
                          http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Well, today we've learned yet another make of car to no longer bring into stock and to crush first when we need to make space for something better. Not that I'm surprised, of the three Studebakers we've had, only one has attracted anything and that's been a couple of internet trolls. Apparently no Studebaker guy will take a car down to pieces that the factory welded together to build his own ragtop, even though a suitable donor for that project is usually pretty cheap and if you have the skills and do most of the labor yourself, the result is a car that the last nice one I saw for sale the asking was around $33,000. They apparently do not value parts that are not and will never be reproduced, either. Price guides? Meaningless to them. And the '62 Lark Daytona I was contemplating bringing in? I'll pull what I want personally and send it to the crusher, even if it's a lot nicer than the basically parts car I'm told it is. Supposedly it has a factory sunroof, I haven't even looked in my books to see if that's a possible thing or not.

But that's okay, it makes my life easier when I only have cash for one and I have to pick between a GM, Mopar, or Stude or Ford. Every GM or Mopar ragtop we've had hasn't lasted but a few weeks in our stock and sells for a good price with a minimum of hassle. Heck, I even sold a Hudson this year, and a Nash last year. And I can be amused watching the same guys who complain about overpriced cars, then complain the same cars got scrapped when no one even made an offer on them. I got into this because I liked old cars, but the more I try to deal with them, the less I like the people who are into old cars. For instance, it's greedy to ask a high price for a car and be willing to come down, but it's not greedy to expect to buy it cheap yourself? When I do sell a car at a price I'm happy with, the buyer is happy with, and everyone moves on in life, somehow I'm ripping them off because I didn't sell it for the price someone else thinks it's worth? I get tired of that nonsense. Don't like the price, don't buy, someone else will - or no one will, it makes no real difference to me, the listings are cheap and we sell enough to make it worthwhile.

The Imperial was junk from day one, but like the Stude would be Chinese rebar if I hadn't bought it. Guys like those enough for demo cars, they weld tops from their old ones onto the convertibles to run them, they'll spend $500 just in gas to go get one and bring back home to wreck. Gutting it just saves them some work. In any case once scrap gets back up to $200 or so a ton, it's gone. It's tempting now at around $160. I can easily fill it with enough stuff to make up for the missing Hemi.

As for the Q&A, I see no reason to be polite to obvious trolls, nor to be polite to people who ignore the biggest type on the page and are so absurd as to want to buy the right rear hubcap off a drivable car. Don't like what I have to say, then go away, it's not a hard concept to grasp. Real buyers don't give me BS, they ask specifics and make their offer, or come see it in person. I only want to do business with those people, people who get it, the rest I'm not interested in dealing with.

eBay is a general site, so a lot of non-car people find those listings and they have no clue, they think people just inherit these old cars in nice shape, or that you can buy any old car in nice shape on every block for less than $1000. There's no car on that lot that has been there more than about 10 years, every one was bought outright or swapped for and hauled in one at a time.

I thought everyone knew this, but if you sell and ship without a tracking number of some sort, a buyer can tell Paypal he didn't get the item and they refund the money every time - you have no recourse. Many PayPal accounts are funded by credit card, so six months later a guy could do a chargeback and you get hit for it then, too. You can't send a complete car via FedEx - I don't want to risk more than $100 or so on the whim of PayPal policy.

Comment

I'm afraid I totally agree with this vendor, and I am ashamed that there is still car bashing going on.

Yes, the car is very tough, but it is pictured, fairly described, and if the vendor thinks he can get $1,500 for it, then more power to him.

We have been very spoiled in the past. We have been extremely lucky to have vendors sell parts for next to nothing. We have been lucky because persons took major risks with purchasing NOS parts for sale, but there are still ignorant persons within the club that beat down the price. What especially gets my goat are the persons who beat down a price, and shortly after the item appears on their table at your original asking price.

I look at the time and effort it takes me to strip a rusty car down when somone wants a small part and it frankly does not really pay for itself. Our cars are now at least 60 years old. If this were stored inside, storage costs alone would be worth huge $$. As it is, the person has respected the make enough to get the car (time and money), slug it on to a trailer (I'll bet most of you have never done this!), and then try to sell it. The last time I put something on a trailer, it took three of us close to five hours, and that was with the use of a front end loader! The wasps were also not very happy with us.

Another example: I took off a carburetor. 1/2 hour. Travel time 3 hours. Skinned knuckles: 1. Tools: costly. Carb looked excellent. Butterfly frozen. Bought acetone and brake fluid: $15. (SDC suggested soak) Soaked for week. Still not moving. Bought some more: $15. Still not moving, need to tap some more. Selling price: not worth it.

Everyone complains that Studes are worth less than comparable other makes: Perhaps it is because we have been spoiled by cheap parts.

Thank you krcar-farm for the paypal lesson - this rule doesn't make any sense on used parts.

So: $1,500? A BARGAIN if you want it and need it. You are always open to inspect the car. If you don't want it, then keep quiet.
                              Last edited by 55s; 07-31-2010, 02:36 PM. Reason: brake fluid, not transmission oil

Comment

Working...
                              X