X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 GT Hawk Prototype

Is this for real?

http://tinyurl.com/3ao8epx

I don't know but it does tick a few boxes.
    If it is the case then a very historical car.
    pb

Comment

Yes, it's for real. Built by O'Chapp's Body Works and commissioned by Studebaker. The guy selling it bought a Packard 352 engine from my Granddad a year or so ago.

It's a lot like the Avanti-inspired prototypes. Absolutely hideous but it does have historical significance.
      Last edited by mbstude; 06-22-2010, 06:32 PM. Reason: speeling

Comment

I know this car has been discussed before, as I remember the name O'Chapp's Body Works. I believe it is legit. I'm sure Matthew knew about this car.

It's pretty rough, but if any car would be worth a ground-up resto, this would be it- right up there with the Frua Larks!

Comment

LOL! You beat me, Matthew

Comment

These are the best photos we've seen of it yet! Previously all we had were the pix from the barn. Boy, there's a lot of interesting stuff here.

- I sure am glad they didn't go with that deck treatment. It makes the rear look lopped off - not in harmony with the front of the car at all.
            - I didn't see or notice the Nash-style fresh air intake above the hood before. Wow - that was at least 3 years out of date, stylistically, when the project was undertaken.
            - What's with that roof seam? They couldn't have welded the two halves together instead of screwing that big strip down the middle of the roof?

It's obvious the person who has it now isn't a Stude enthusiast, although he knows what he has. It'll be interesting to see what the car goes for.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I saw this car probably 25 years ago in Ball Ground GA and it was rough then.
              Owned by Sammy Howell, I believe.
              David

Comment

I remember this. I posted this same car as eye cabbage a few months ago and Ed Reynolds told me that this was in no way a prototype. Heck, I don't care, it's cool!
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

Looks like all from a 53-64 put together. Brooks Stevens does not mix well with Bob Bourke.
                  Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
                  Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
                  Lizella, GA

Comment

The prototype Hawk I remember seeing in magazines back in the day had a grille shell that had the name Studebaker across the front upper edge of the shell. Among many other things this one looks to have a regular production shell with a 62 Lark mesh insert. Also in Brooks Stevens original drawings, it is shown without fins, which was noted as a cost savings right off the bat.
                    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

It would seem strange that the factory would not have used a later Hawk a starting point. The deck lid/rear treatment is horrible and probably the result of someone having some parts laying around.
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Is it just me or does the rear quarter panel (as seen from the rear quarter view) look very early 60s Rambler-ish?
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Kind of a strange, crude, and awkward prototype, Wonder if it can be documented as to just when it was completed? Would it have been before Brooks Steven's oft shown 'cardboard' mock-up for the '62 GT restyle?
                          Could this have served as his 'inspiration'? As is, it certainly falls far short of the clean style and execution that are the hallmark of Stevens work, or that of any professional automotive designer.
                          Last edited by Jessie J.; 06-23-2010, 10:54 AM.

Comment

He lists the serial number as starting with "4H-K". This is probably from the body tag. If so, the car started as a 1953 Commander Starliner.
                            This car was built in a South Bend body shop and I do not consider it to be a prototype. It is an interesting car.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I need to figure out how to add "smilies" within a message, I need to add "puke."

Comment

Working...
                              X