OCW article on a GH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCW article on a GH

Gorgeous car. Anyone know the car, and owner Mr. Ladroga?

Originally posted by bams50 View Post
    Gorgeous car. Anyone know the car, and owner Mr. Ladroga?

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/article...r_Golden_Hawk/
    Yes and yes. I did not wait out the link provided. It is a nice Hawk. The Hawk and owner used to reside in New England and I recall the car from Zone Meets. They are both now in Florida.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary, how do you feel about the 'new' OCW? I am now glad I didn't renew. I used to love that paper.

Comment

That GH is bee-YOU-tiful! I don't burn with a white hot desire to have a Hawk someday but dang if that one ain't pretty.

Gary, how do you feel about the 'new' OCW? I am now glad I didn't renew. I used to love that paper.
        I'm not Gary, but I'll give you my two cents iffen you want to hear about it.

A few years back when OCW started offering a subscription discount to AACA members I decided to take the plunge after hearing for years from some longtime subscribers that this rag was the greatest thing since beer in bottles. I wasn't impressed. The marque and model "features" are scanty and with the exception of Kit Foster's Q&A don't tell you anything that you can't find in a decent general reference on the subject or a few minutes on the Interwebs. The classifieds aren't that hot either; it's the same few dozen ads, over and over and over again. Hemmings has more variety and is a much better read. As for their other feature articles, they've fallen prey to the same trap as Car Collector Magazine. The technical articles are puff pieces for whatever advertiser is on the facing page, while the auction articles aren't much at all. Both Hemmings and Automobile Magazine do a much better job of writing capsule summaries of auction highlights.

I wasn't impressed-the renewal notice went into the trash right behind my last issue. Like my Pennsylvania Dutch grandmother says, "for free take, for buy waste time." I'll pick up the free issues they hand out at Hershey and Carlisle (don't get me started on Carlisle; that's another rant). For about two bucks more than what they're asking for OCW you can get subscriptions to Hemmings Classic Car *and* Hemmings Muscle Machines, which are actually worth the money IMHO. They got my $30 for one year but they'll never get it again.

Comment

Originally posted by WannaDaytona View Post
          The marque and model "features" are scanty and with the exception of Kit Foster's Q&A don't tell you anything that you can't find in a decent general reference on the subject or a few minutes on the Interwebs. The classifieds aren't that hot either; it's the same few dozen ads, over and over and over again. Hemmings has more variety and is a much better read. As for their other feature articles, they've fallen prey to the same trap as Car Collector Magazine. The technical articles are puff pieces for whatever advertiser is on the facing page, while the auction articles aren't much at all. For about two bucks more than what they're asking for OCW you can get subscriptions to Hemmings Classic Car *and* Hemmings Muscle Machines, which are actually worth the money IMHO.

I used to love OCW, but tired of it for mostly the same reasons you list. I felt the quality kept sliding downhill, especially the quality- and lack of- color. Now it's the size of a regular magazine, only low-quality paper. Wish I could enjoy it like I used to, but I'm spoiled by Hemmings Collector Car magazine.

Comment

I liked the old format better, but I still enjoy OCW. I have subscribed to OCW since the beginning (1971, IIRC). OCW has a disproportionate (high) coverage of Studebaker and always in a favorable light. The Editor is open to comments and corrections. I see that you read some of the content online. The delivery of OCW by the USPS appears to have improved with the new size/format.

I think some try to measure it to a standard that they are not trying to fulfill.

The classifieds have just about gone away, but that is not just them. Even my local daily paper has very few cassifieds now. Most everyone is using eBay or CL. I purchased a Packard through a Motor Trend classified. I don't think that MT has had classifieds in years. The recent OCW has a classified ad by someone looking for a 1964 Daytona hardtop or convertible.

I have been dropping my subscriptions to many other car magazines. I just received my last issue of Motor Trend. I have subscribed to MT since 1964 and have issues back to 1949. I still subscribe to Automobile, Car and Driver, Road & Track, etc. The coverage in these general car magazines seems to be redundant (with each other) now. Subscriptions to these magazines are now $10-$12 per year. I remember paying that much in 1960s dollars.

The new (July) R&T has a lot of coverage on the new and old Gull Wings, including the one that Sam Posey bought when he was 14 and still owns. This interests me. They also have 2/3 page on the new 2010 BMW 550i Gran Turismo. Its base price is $63K and as tested $74K. This interested me because I have an appointment to spend an afternoon with one later this month.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
            X