fire extinguisher survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fire extinguisher survey

Jumped in the 53 pu to go to market yesterday and smelled gasoline. Carb had developed a leak.
    This was my reminder to get a fire extinguisher on board.
    What kind, what size, and where do you guys mount them. I've got a flush fitting pickup tool box that sits right behind the cab in the bed. Its easy to access if I remember to unlock it. Or maybe mount a small one on the drivers side kick panel?

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

I have two in the Yellow POS.
    A chrome one in between the seats, and a second (painted) one just behind the seat.
    One is an ABC powder, and one is a Halon.
    IIRC Halon is outgoing, or gone now.
    Some of the best high end shows have a fire extinguisher by each car.
    My suggestion would be to lock a big extinguisher in the tool box and keep a smaller one in the cab.
    Jeff

Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 06-13-2010, 07:17 AM.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Probably not the most professional looking thing to do, but we have small ones that either fit between the seats, or lay right under the front or back of the seat, and leave the mount bracket on them so they don't roll. Watched a Vette burn one time, and driving an Avanti at the time, noticed that fiberglass burns quite nicely, so that, and gas spraying out of the fuel pump onto our Pantera's headers, a carb leaking and igniting in our Ranchero, and some clubs show rules requirements made us VERY sure we keep one handy to grab QUICK, with no unfastening, or unlocking. On the other hand, if you have a car you hate, well- - - - Ha !! John

Comment

I have one under the front seat of each of my Studebakers.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

With all the carburetor troubles that I have had of late with pin holes in one of the floats and fuel spilling over the carburetor, I took the kitchen fire extinguisher and put it between the drivers seat and the centre console of my Hawk. It's a good idea to have one on board and better to be safe than sorry. It makes me nervous every time I am in the car and smell gas while driving around.
          1964 GT Hawk
          PSMCDR 2014
          Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
          PSMCDR 2013
          Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

One under the driver's seat.
            One (larger) in the trunk.

They're inexpensive enough, we keep one in each of our "modern" Brand X cars, as well.
            I'd rather help extinguish one on the car next to me to keep it from reaching mine!
            Andy
            62 GT

Comment

I mount small one on the driver side inside 1/4 panel. Easily accessable when you exit car. Larger one in trunk.
              Bob
              Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

We have them laying on the floorboard right behind the front seat on the GoldenHawk with mounting bracket attached so they don't roll also. they are right there when you exit the car. Another thing check to make sure they are still charged too. Some have a date on them. Someone will bring this up soon.
                Mabel 1949 Champion
                Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                Gus 1958 Transtar
                The Prez 1955 President State
                Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                Fresno,Ca

Comment

I carry one even in my new car. Its cheap insurance so you don't have your pride and joy turn into this....
                  [URL="http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m190/63larkcustom/lolaburn/046.jpg"]

Comment

Halon is the way to go...Bought my on ebay....nothing to clean up if you have to use it....

"Halon is a colorless, odorless, nontoxic, gas.

Halon is fast acting - it cools the surface and chemically interferes with the combustion process.

This nontoxic gas is attracted to heat, moves around barriers and tracks to a fire.

Halon blankets the fire area and reduces the risk of flashback.

Halon is clean and evaporates completely, it's non-staining, non-corrosive and nonconductive.

Halon will not damage any surface, including electronics, fabrics and painted surfaces.

Halon is effective for A, B, and C type fires.

Effective on chemical fires & flammable liquids

Comment

One in each car. Right under the seat.
                      1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

I mounted this First Alert on the passenger side kick panel since I still have the original bench seat. It's out of the way but can be grabbed quickly if needed.
                        Rick
                        Kingman, AZ

Comment

From a web search:
                          Halon: a compound consisting of bromine, fluorine, and carbon

Halons are used as fire extinguishing agents, both in built-in systems and in handheld portable fire extinguishers. Halon production in the U.S. ended on December 31, 1993, because they contribute to ozone depletion. They cause ozone depletion because they contain bromine. Bromine is many times more effective at destroying ozone than chlorine. At the time the current U.S. tax code was adopted, the ozone depletion potentials of halon 1301 and halon 1211 were observed to be 10 and 3, respectively. These values are used for tax calculations. Recent scientific studies, however, indicate that the ODPs are at least 12 and 6, respectively. Note: technically, all compounds containing carbon and fluorine and/or chlorine are halons, but in the context of the Clean Air Act, "halon" means a fire extinguishing agent as described above. A table of class I substances shows their ODPs, GWPs, and CAS numbers. Halons are numbered according to a standard scheme.

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                          [B][COLOR=navy]
                          <snip>
                          IIRC Halon is outgoing, or gone now.
                          <snip>
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I carry one in all my cars, The one in the Stude is fastened on the floorboard right behind the driver seat (no foot wells in my 53). I have only had to use one once, and not on my car. Was driving to the commuter bus one morning and saw a fellow on the side of the highway with flames coming out from under the hood. I stopped about 25 yards in front of him, jumped out of my truck with the fire extinguisher. By the time I got to his car he had the hood up and was trying to beat the fire out with a rag. I nailed the base of the flames around the carb with a couple bursts and the fire was out. I waited a 1/2 minute to make sure it did not restart, then ran back to my truck. He was trying to thank me, but I told him I had to catch a bus and kept going. Hope I never need to use the one in the Stude!
                            Attached Files
                            Pat Dilling
                            Olivehurst, CA
                            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Kind of hard to see in this picture, but a fire extinguisher is clipped below the glove box.
                              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                              X