Gary Ash Indy Race Car Clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Ash Indy Race Car Clone

So Gary asks the weekly question "What wheels will fit on my Stude race car?"
    The forum does it's normal thing, and the suggestions kick into high gear.
    The car needs a head start to help the clutch...
    The small size will roll easier...
    The center of balance is off by 3.5"
    The ZDDP was from AutoZone instead of NAPA
    And so it goes...
    But Gary perservered...until the first test run in the neighborhood......

Attached Files
    Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 06-13-2010, 11:49 AM.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

at what point do you think he realized that was a bad idea?
    http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

Appears a little tail heavy. Does the driver need to go on a diet?

Comment

Has he come down yet?
        sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

That's one of the funniest things you have EVER posted, Jeff! And it really does look like Gary.

Comment

Yeah, you guys think the picture is funny - but it isn't funny enough! Here's is a real picture of me from 1959-1960 with one of my go-cart creations. I was into race cars even then! I had a little more hair, though it was cropped into a genuine flat-top. Note that the car was painted in official Studebaker "Flamingo". As a comment on the times of the '50s, can you believe that my mother drove me down to the Airco welding store so that I could rent a gas welder outfit to weld the angle iron frame together? I was 15 and she signed for the rental. She also took me to the steel yard to buy the angle iron and we brought it all home in our 1955 Plymouth station wagon. Would you turn your 15-year old kid loose in the garage these days with a welding outfit? I was safety conscious, so you can see the roll bar made from the back of an aluminum lawn chair. Lot of good it might have done, but I never rolled the cart. It even had a WWII aircraft seat belt from the local surplus store.

P.S. Note the Clark's Desert Boots on my feet - I loved those shoes!

Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard
            web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

.....Somewhere a Maytag Washing Machine, among a number of it's gas powered brethren, is missing it's gas motor as well ......
              1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

And at the same time on the opposite side of the planet....Someone will be stripping this car to make a washing machine!

china-shanghai-car1.jpg

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Great picture, Gary. For the rest of my life I will always deeply regret not taking more pictures over the years. Never took very many till my son was born. How I wish I had pictures of the race cars, people, and situations from the years. Looking back I have had a pretty full life, lots of fun and adventures, but I didn't realize it at the time; we just thought we were living an everyday life. Now when I come across one of those few pictures from the past it always makes me grin remembering.

With the advent of cheap, quality, easy-to-use digital cameras, I wonder how many millions of pictures people will have in their files 50 yeard from now

Comment

Thzt motor is a C-5 Briggs, and was mounted on a lot of early reel type lawnmowers also, it is the first engine I ever rebuilt........unsucessfully.

Comment

My first three mini-bikes were powered by one of those...
                      First 'milled head' I ever did was on one...
                      Chucked up the head by the spark plug in the lathe and took some meat off of it..
                      Went from 2.5 HP to 2.6 HP..
                      You could tell the difference, too...Especially with no brakes
                      Jeff

Originally posted by Chucks Stude View Post
                      Thzt motor is a C-5 Briggs, and was mounted on a lot of early reel type lawnmowers also, it is the first engine I ever rebuilt........unsucessfully.

Jeff

Comment

As long as were talking about old pictures, I think I've shown this one before, but here's me in 1947 driving my pedal car in Seattle. I think this was a Pontiac model before they made the Champion pedal cars.

That's my sister in the middle, but I forget who the other little girl was. The pedal car survived until about 1952 after being moved (along with the family) to Baltimore in 1948.

So, I was very happy when my grandson Leo decided he liked cars, too. There may be hope for another generation fo Studebaker drivers!

Gary Ash
                        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                        '48 M5
                        '65 Wagonaire Commander
                        '63 Wagonaire Standard
                        web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Gary , those old pics are great ! Love those pedal cars ....I have one of me in one , think it was a Buick , it had portholes ....I'll see if I can find it .
                          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

When I was a kid...there was a time I thought I must have been adopted. I did not think that "Real Parents" would make you use a tractor like this. I still have the original 1950 (less than two horse power) tractor. Now I own 3 of them. This one is more powerful and newer (1960). It even has a recoil starter. I just wonder where Gary kept the "Crank rope" for engine on his cart. Unfortunately, this was about as close as I got to having something like a go-cart.

David bradley tractor.jpg
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I had a go cart exactly like that when I was a kid. The part about no brakes rings very true.

Comment

Working...
                              X