'64 Daytona Raccoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '64 Daytona Raccoon

I often wondered how a '64 would look with the headlight rims blacked out. To satisfy this morbid curiosity, I picked up a pair of used rims at York and powder coated them in a charcoal semi-gloss. You can see the results. To tell the truth, I wasn't crazy about the look, so I put the stock rims back on. Maybe it just doesn't work right with a black car.

However, I figured that someone out there might actually like the effect, and want to become the proud owner of this pair of rims. I would be willing to pass them along for my total investment of $5, plus shipping. If interested, drop me an email.

Jim Bradley
    '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
    Jim Bradley
    Lake Monticello, VA
    '78 Avanti II
    sigpic

I think somebody needs to pull the inboard headlights out and run cold air tubes to the aircleaner from the openings...ala some early 60's FX cars [].

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I think somebody needs to pull the inboard headlights out and run cold air tubes to the aircleaner from the openings...ala some early 60's FX cars [].

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Rerun

I often wondered how a '64 would look with the headlight rims blacked out.

There are some 1965 proposals where the headlight rims were only partially painted matte black in certain areas, in addition to the vertical bridges on the gille mesh ala '64 G.T. Hawk grille. It didn't really improve the look at all as the '64's were already attractive, but was one of those requirements at the time where the public expected drastic changes from the previous year.

Craig.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Rerun

I often wondered how a '64 would look with the headlight rims blacked out.

There are some 1965 proposals where the headlight rims were only partially painted matte black in certain areas, in addition to the vertical bridges on the gille mesh ala '64 G.T. Hawk grille. It didn't really improve the look at all as the '64's were already attractive, but was one of those requirements at the time where the public expected drastic changes from the previous year.

Craig.

Comment

It looks like it has two black-eyes to me.

Comment

It looks like it has two black-eyes to me.

Comment

Dick has it right, I think that would be NEAT!

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                57 SH (project)
                60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                57 SH (project)

Comment

Dick has it right, I think that would be NEAT!

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                  57 SH (project)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                  53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                  57 SH (project)

Comment

You have a beautiful Daytona, Jim, but I think it looks better without the blackout.

I blacked out the headlight rims on the 61 Lark I had in college, but I wouldn't do it today.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

You have a beautiful Daytona, Jim, but I think it looks better without the blackout.

I blacked out the headlight rims on the 61 Lark I had in college, but I wouldn't do it today.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

I did that to my "Youkon Gold" '65 Cruiser way back in 1968, only I masked them off and only blacked out that flat area directly around the headlights, I also had a pair of black "Rally Stripes" off-set to the drivers side, going all the way from the front valance, up over the roof and trunk to the rear bumper. (Avanti "gun-sight inspired.)
                        I really way it looked, but I agree, the total black-out, as pictured above,seems to be just a tad too much.

Comment

I did that to my "Youkon Gold" '65 Cruiser way back in 1968, only I masked them off and only blacked out that flat area directly around the headlights, I also had a pair of black "Rally Stripes" off-set to the drivers side, going all the way from the front valance, up over the roof and trunk to the rear bumper. (Avanti "gun-sight inspired.)
                          I really way it looked, but I agree, the total black-out, as pictured above,seems to be just a tad too much.

Comment

Jim; Nice looking Daytona, are those Chrysler or Ford wheels that push the tires way out in the fender?

StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Jim; Nice looking Daytona, are those Chrysler or Ford wheels that push the tires way out in the fender?

StudeRich
                              Studebakers Northwest
                              Ferndale, WA
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                              X