• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Pickers Looking For A Studebaker Expert

Well......Went looking....

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...es_a_deal.html

(See link for complete story)
    (copy)
    The duo are heading to the Carolinas in the van because the weather's a bit cold in Iowa. In North Carolina, a lead comes from Danielle for a bunch of old cars in a five acre junk yard that's "supervised" by Pippen and his twin brother on behalf of their grandfather. Frank Fritz finds many Gulf Oil horseshoes and some old oil cans (picked for $35, valued at $300). After some back and forth negotiating, the "No-Nox" gas pump was picked for $200 (valued at $450) and a 1950 Studebaker "Bullet Nose" was picked for $2,200, plus $700 to ship to Iowa) which especially thrilled Mike Wolfe. The History Channel stars also snatched up railroad lantern shades (picked for $25, valued at $240) and a Pepsi menu sign (picked for $50, valued at $100).

Danielle was charged with finding a Studebaker expert. The expert came by and called it "pretty complete" and a "solid car", and valued the relic at $3,200-$3,500 on Season 2, Episode 1 of American Pickers.
    Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 06-08-2010, 04:28 AM.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

So..... Who was this 'expert'?
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

It also said that Studebaker switched from building wagons to cars in 1912, which was incorrect....
      1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
        So..... Who was this 'expert'?

Most certainly it would have to be:

Comment

Do you think they paid too much for the car? For the most part on TV, it looked solid. My dad bought a similar car two years ago completely restored and drove it home for $3000. I guess it depends on how much one wants to spend. Frank and Mike have a history of buying high and selling low when it comes to cars.

Comment

I thought the initial excitement shown upon finding the car was a bit much. Those guys would surely look one over more carefully than we saw on the episode before making a firm bid.(I hope!) Still.... they got burned on the Plymouth last season.
            I would have wanted to look closely at the floors and other trouble spots before bidding. The interior looked like it might have been in decent shape.
            Some Lark shine and tires that hold air might make a huge difference, but if I was buying the car to resell, like they do, I would not have bought it at that price.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Did you guys notice that when the Stude was pulled from the barn that the left front wheel wasn't turning? Then when it was being pulled through their yard in Iowa it was turning....
                1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

Nothing against the "expert" used by the show, but he said if was a "50 or 51".
                  Sorry guys, a real expert would have said one or the other.

I think I know the differences, but then again, I don't claim to be an "expert" on bulletnoses.
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Listen, they never figured in the transportation charge on their cost. North Carolina to Idaho can't be free. Or wherever. I may have the state wrong, but someone hauled it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chucks Stude View Post
                      Listen, they never figured in the transportation charge on their cost. North Carolina to Idaho can't be free. Or wherever. I may have the state wrong, but someone hauled it.

They said $700 to transport it. Steve
                      sigpic

Comment

2400 plus 700 is 3100. Barely profitable.

Comment

Now this is funny.

Originally posted by Welcome View Post

Most certainly it would have to be:

1) Someone who was born with “Studebaker Red & Blue” blood flowing through their veins
                          2) Someone who has been involved with Studebakers their entire life
                          3) Someone who restores & DRIVES Studebakers
                          4) Someone who buys & sells Studebakers, Parts & Accessories
                          5) Someone who owns a Studebaker business
                          6) Someone who is recognized at every Studebaker venue they appear at
                          7) Someone who is so highly thought of, their regular column appears in the #1 Studebaker publication read by more than any other around the world!

That someone has to be none other than: MATTHEW BURNETTE!!!

Am I right???

Comment

Originally posted by Chucks Stude View Post
                            They're from Iowa....a bit chaeper than sending something to Idaho.

Seriously, I had trouble getting a big national shipper to bring my Avanti to me here in Washington....if it's not on the way to Arizona or California, it's a detour for the big guys.
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Its just more reality TV or not for real.

Tom
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X