SELLING A CAR ON EBAY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SELLING A CAR ON EBAY

I have a 66 Studebaker Commander 2 dr that I am thinking of selling on Ebay. I don't have the first clue on how to do it right. I was looking for some input here from the forum as to what things are the most important. If I go to the trouble of digging it out of the barn to prep and take pictures I would like to be successfull. What about pricing? Reserves? What about pictures? How many? Should I include a phone number in my ad for interested parties to call? I know I am asking some very general questions when you know nothing about my car, I'm looking mainly for guidelines.
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Kurt,

Before you get started I think you need to think about what you need to get out of the car and then objectively evaluate whether it will bring that on the open market. From what you describe, the car has been sitting and will likely need some work to be a daily driver.

There are multitudes of vehicles that are partially completed "projects" or "rare" barn finds listed on e-Bay all the time. You need to be able to distinguish your car from the others by investing some time (and potentially some money) to make it presentable and appealing.

Personally, I find it irritating that people do not even attempt to clean a vehicle or use something other than a cheap camera to take a couple of dark and blurry pictures. You need to present the vehicle in the best possible light, give a lot of good pictures, write an accurate assessment of the vehicle (listing the good and the bad), have a low opening bid and a resonable reserve.

Anything less and you are wasting your time and trouble and you will certainly get critiqued here. You may try viewing a couple of JDP's auctions on e-Bay for guidance.

Lastly, post some information and pictures on the car and the good folks here can give you some guidance.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Kurt,

Before you get started I think you need to think about what you need to get out of the car and then objectively evaluate whether it will bring that on the open market. From what you describe, the car has been sitting and will likely need some work to be a daily driver.

There are multitudes of vehicles that are partially completed "projects" or "rare" barn finds listed on e-Bay all the time. You need to be able to distinguish your car from the others by investing some time (and potentially some money) to make it presentable and appealing.

Personally, I find it irritating that people do not even attempt to clean a vehicle or use something other than a cheap camera to take a couple of dark and blurry pictures. You need to present the vehicle in the best possible light, give a lot of good pictures, write an accurate assessment of the vehicle (listing the good and the bad), have a low opening bid and a resonable reserve.

Anything less and you are wasting your time and trouble and you will certainly get critiqued here. You may try viewing a couple of JDP's auctions on e-Bay for guidance.

Lastly, post some information and pictures on the car and the good folks here can give you some guidance.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
      Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Thanks Bob, Unfortunately the little red stude that appeared in the cooperator years ago does not quite look the same. It was involved in an unfortunate accident that did considerable damage[V] The upside is I do have all the parts including a rust free frame to make it better than it ever was while I was driving it. My wife says I can Have a Stude Truck if I move this,. So I am striking while the iron is hot
        1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Thanks Bob, Unfortunately the little red stude that appeared in the cooperator years ago does not quite look the same. It was involved in an unfortunate accident that did considerable damage[V] The upside is I do have all the parts including a rust free frame to make it better than it ever was while I was driving it. My wife says I can Have a Stude Truck if I move this,. So I am striking while the iron is hot
          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

The documented appearance in Turning Wheels adds at least one per cent to the value, Kurt. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The documented appearance in Turning Wheels adds at least one per cent to the value, Kurt. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

One idea is to think like a buyer. If you were looking to buy a car on eBay, what would you like to see in an ad? Probably lots of pictures (plenty in the ad itself and a link to a bunch more...some shots that make the car look good with a nice background, and shots of specific details...undercarriage, engine compartment, trunk, interior, etc.), a COMPLETE description including all the "warts" would be nice...you can fill in the rest from what YOU would want as a buyer.

Find some ads on eBay you like as a buyer (don't have to be Studebakers). If you like them, chances are YOUR potential buyers will too. Emulate them.

Start the bidding low. If you have what you think is a $5000 car, start the bidding at $500. You'll get folks "watching" and bidding and hopefully some "auction fever" going.

For a reserve, set it to be the absolute lowest you would take for the car. If you say $5,000...give it some more thought. If someone came up to you and offered $4,900, would you take it? If so, THAT should be your reserve (get it?). It shouldn't be what you (or anyone else) THINKS the car might be worth...it should be what YOU would be satisfied with getting for the car.

Write your ad in WORD and send it to a few friends that will be critical enough to evaluate it for you and give you suggestions. You don't have to take their suggestions, but there might be a few gems there.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

One idea is to think like a buyer. If you were looking to buy a car on eBay, what would you like to see in an ad? Probably lots of pictures (plenty in the ad itself and a link to a bunch more...some shots that make the car look good with a nice background, and shots of specific details...undercarriage, engine compartment, trunk, interior, etc.), a COMPLETE description including all the "warts" would be nice...you can fill in the rest from what YOU would want as a buyer.

Find some ads on eBay you like as a buyer (don't have to be Studebakers). If you like them, chances are YOUR potential buyers will too. Emulate them.

Start the bidding low. If you have what you think is a $5000 car, start the bidding at $500. You'll get folks "watching" and bidding and hopefully some "auction fever" going.

For a reserve, set it to be the absolute lowest you would take for the car. If you say $5,000...give it some more thought. If someone came up to you and offered $4,900, would you take it? If so, THAT should be your reserve (get it?). It shouldn't be what you (or anyone else) THINKS the car might be worth...it should be what YOU would be satisfied with getting for the car.

Write your ad in WORD and send it to a few friends that will be critical enough to evaluate it for you and give you suggestions. You don't have to take their suggestions, but there might be a few gems there.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Yes, the car is a project. Yes I know what you mean about prep. I too am annoyed by the bad adds. That is what I am trying to avoid. The car was junk when I bought it 13 years ago and some people would still view it that way today.But when i bought it I was a very young Stude nut with very little money and lots of ambition. I have had a ton of fun with this car and learned even more. Maybe someone else can have that same chance.
                    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Yes, the car is a project. Yes I know what you mean about prep. I too am annoyed by the bad adds. That is what I am trying to avoid. The car was junk when I bought it 13 years ago and some people would still view it that way today.But when i bought it I was a very young Stude nut with very little money and lots of ambition. I have had a ton of fun with this car and learned even more. Maybe someone else can have that same chance.
                      1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Kurt

Kurt, if you have a car with "considerable damage", that also has a rusted frame, #1, it isn't worth much (maybe a give away), #2 eBay might not be your best way to sell it. EBay works because you have a world wide audience for your product. Quite frankly, nobody is going to drive more than a couple of hours to haul off a beat up, rusty Studebaker. Your audience is probably as big as your local SDC chapter (maybe a few surrounding chapters).

If I misjudged your car from the description above, I apologize.

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Kurt

Kurt, if you have a car with "considerable damage", that also has a rusted frame, #1, it isn't worth much (maybe a give away), #2 eBay might not be your best way to sell it. EBay works because you have a world wide audience for your product. Quite frankly, nobody is going to drive more than a couple of hours to haul off a beat up, rusty Studebaker. Your audience is probably as big as your local SDC chapter (maybe a few surrounding chapters).

If I misjudged your car from the description above, I apologize.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

What they said- LOW opening bid. I have sold several cars on eBay with no reserve and have done very well. That may not be for everyone, but I thinks it encourages a buyer knowing that it will be sold no matter what. Definitely spend some time cleaning it. To me a big turn off is seeing trash in the pictures of the car, I even went to the trouble of putting Portawalls and beauty rings on my '47 that needed complete restoration- really sharpened its appearance.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
                            '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                            '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                            Museum R-4 engine
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

What they said- LOW opening bid. I have sold several cars on eBay with no reserve and have done very well. That may not be for everyone, but I thinks it encourages a buyer knowing that it will be sold no matter what. Definitely spend some time cleaning it. To me a big turn off is seeing trash in the pictures of the car, I even went to the trouble of putting Portawalls and beauty rings on my '47 that needed complete restoration- really sharpened its appearance.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
                              '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                              '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                              Museum R-4 engine
                              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                              X