No announcement yet.

SELLING A CAR ON EBAY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And to add to what Paul said, if you wash the car on pavement move it to a different spot before you take a picture and let it dry. My first impression when I see a wet vehicle is that the paint is crap and the owner is trying to hide it.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

And to add to what Paul said, if you wash the car on pavement move it to a different spot before you take a picture and let it dry. My first impression when I see a wet vehicle is that the paint is crap and the owner is trying to hide it.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
      Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Thanks for the input. Yes the car does have issues. I do however feel it has some redeeming features, I will post some pictures here to get some more input. Like Dick said, maybe ebay is not the place for this particular car, I do not know.
        1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Thanks for the input. Yes the car does have issues. I do however feel it has some redeeming features, I will post some pictures here to get some more input. Like Dick said, maybe ebay is not the place for this particular car, I do not know.
          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

[u]Here is rule #1:</u>

PLEASE watch eBay for a while for comparables to determine a REALISTIC VALUE for your car! This seems obvious- yet there's always one or two listings for $2-300 cars with an opening bid of $2500 and a reserve of $5000 (or some such nonsense[xx(]). Any car, in any condition, is worth what it's worth at the time it's offered- nothing more, nothing less. To think any different is wasting everyone's time- and the eBay fee.

If you'll be honest with yourself about value, present it as well as possible, and set a low opening bid and reserve (did I mention realistic?) you'll do just fine, and you'll get the car gone to a new home!

Good luck- and BTW, where is the car located?

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Comment

PLEASE watch eBay for a while for comparables to determine a REALISTIC VALUE for your car! This seems obvious- yet there's always one or two listings for $2-300 cars with an opening bid of $2500 and a reserve of $5000 (or some such nonsense[xx(]). Any car, in any condition, is worth what it's worth at the time it's offered- nothing more, nothing less. To think any different is wasting everyone's time- and the eBay fee.

If you'll be honest with yourself about value, present it as well as possible, and set a low opening bid and reserve (did I mention realistic?) you'll do just fine, and you'll get the car gone to a new home!

Good luck- and BTW, where is the car located?

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

In my barn Sorry, no one likes a smart @$$, Central Illinois. Lots of tractors here, but not many Stude's[V]
                1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

In my barn Sorry, no one likes a smart @$$, Central Illinois. Lots of tractors here, but not many Stude's[V]
                  1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

A car that has been cleaned will bring more than one that has not; make it look as good as possible but, don't neglect any problems it may have in the description. The goal is for both you and the winning bidder to be satisfied.

Brad Johnson
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

A car that has been cleaned will bring more than one that has not; make it look as good as possible but, don't neglect any problems it may have in the description. The goal is for both you and the winning bidder to be satisfied.

Brad Johnson
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Kurt, to give you an idea of how to honestly and clearly create an Ebay listing, look at the following one by 53K (Paul Johnson).

The Wagon is battered, but with work it'll come up fine. You can see all the issues - dirty interior, rust, missing parts etc so a buyer knows what he or she will get - and will be happy with their purchase, otherwise they may get really angry with a deceptive listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=230112210320

John Clements
                        Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                        Lockleys South Australia
                        John Clements
                        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Kurt, to give you an idea of how to honestly and clearly create an Ebay listing, look at the following one by 53K (Paul Johnson).

The Wagon is battered, but with work it'll come up fine. You can see all the issues - dirty interior, rust, missing parts etc so a buyer knows what he or she will get - and will be happy with their purchase, otherwise they may get really angry with a deceptive listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=230112210320

John Clements
                          Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                          Lockleys South Australia
                          John Clements
                          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Kurt,I'm about 75 miles from you,in LaSalle. i could be interested in the car. Waiting for pictures and more info!

LaSalle,Il
                            61Hawk
                            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Kurt,I'm about 75 miles from you,in LaSalle. i could be interested in the car. Waiting for pictures and more info!

LaSalle,Il
                              61Hawk
                              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

PLEASE watch eBay for a while for comparables to determine a REALISTIC VALUE for your car! This seems obvious- yet there's always one or two listings for $2-300 cars with an opening bid of $2500 and a reserve of $5000 (or some such nonsense[xx(]).
                                Interestingly, I was just looking at eBay, and found a perfect example of what I was saying:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1958-...QQcmdZViewItem

Great waste of an eBay fee...[|)]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                                X