Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found another business coupe (47 Champion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found another business coupe (47 Champion)

Sal wanted to see how the old, black paint cleaned up right off the trailer. We'll try to make it a driver, toss some new tires on her and maybe call it done. Question: Can we live with the white roof for resale ? It's growing on us a bit, a sort of convertible/coupe thing going on.
    JDP Maryland

I'd say it cleaned up pretty good.

Comment

That's a cool car. With a white roof like that, a star on the door would be fitting.

Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
        I'd say it cleaned up pretty good.
        When we bought it, it was literally stuck to the ground on flat tires. I never understood not taking a day or two to prep a car for sale, but then, that's what we do. If the front clip cleaned up like that in a few minutes, just think what Sal can do in a week or so. Cute little car.
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Wow! Thats a pretty neat looking car! I'd get the star like LaughinLark said, and get a old light for the top!
          Dylan Wills
          Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
          1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
          1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
          1914 Ford Model T

Comment

There was a 50 Champ Business coupe for sale at Glendale in the Swap meet area. The seller wanted $5k for it. Pretty steep I thought, since it did not have a front seat/interior and the trunk was bumgie corded on. Could not see the engine area, but it did come with some kind of extra parts. This 47 looks alot better!

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Bullet View Post
              There was a 50 Champ Business coupe for sale at Glendale in the Swap meet area. The seller wanted $5k for it. Pretty steep I thought, since it did not have a front seat/interior and the trunk was bumgie corded on. Could not see the engine area, but it did come with some kind of extra parts. This 47 looks alot better!

Mark
              If we got 5K for this one, we'd be doing cart wheels, but who knows ?
              JDP Maryland

Comment

I'll trade you a 62 GT with rebuilt motor, power brake boaster, carb (T-bow), rust free body (some surface rust), new upholstery, carpet (needs finish install).
                Bo

Comment

As in "life is like a box of chocolates"...

Speaking from experience, (a six-year project), on one of these cars you really don't know what you have until you do the following.
                  Remove all floor covering
                  Remove all kick panels (front and the ones along the side behind the doors)
                  Separate the fenders from the front firewall and door post.
                  Separate the rear finders and check inside the "mud baffle" areas.
                  Remove the gravel guards and see if any fender is left behind them.
                  Check all body mounts, especially the boxes under the door pillar posts.
                  Take all clamps loose that hold the steel fuel line to the frame and make sure there is an actual intact fuel passage under the clamps.
                  Once this is done you only have to worry about the frame and mechanics. Engine, transmission, how much springs are remaining inside those jacketed springs, wiring, and all those other little incidental things that make these things so much fun!
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Did you get Bus. Coupe out of Plymouth, Ca?

Comment

Yeah, Sal, John, just where did you find this old treasure?
                      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

RE: Question about the white top.
                        I think it takes away from the lines that are admired today on this body style. The long lines are broken up by the "highlighted" cabin area. But I don't think it will keep it from selling. People that want this body style know what they really look like. Painting over the white doesn't seem like it fits with your "business model." What would you do to try to match the present condition of the paint? My opinion.

Now---about those dreadful stainless gravelshields and front fender ornaments. No way will it ever sell with those parts mucking up the works! You must remove them immediately. In fact send them to me and I'll dispose of them for you. (Smilie) Besides, the stainless gravelshields aren't factory equipment on this bodystyle. I'm just helping you out!
                        Last edited by kurtruk; 06-06-2010, 09:08 PM. Reason: More sarcasm needed
                        KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                          I think it takes away from the lines that are admired today on this body style. The long lines are broken up by the "highlighted" cabin area. But I don't think it will keep it from selling. People that want this body style know what they really look like. Painting over the white doesn't seem like it fits with your "business model." What would you do to try to match the present condition of the paint? My opinion.

Now---about those dreadful stainless gravelshields and front fender ornaments. No way will it ever sell with those parts mucking up the works! You must remove them immediately. In fact send them to me and I'll dispose of them for you. (Smilie) Besides, the stainless gravelshields aren't factory equipment on this bodystyle. I'm just helping you out!

I had forgotten about those little fender ornaments, and I'll keep the shields, but thanks for the offer. We got the car near Sal in Ca. I don't recall exactly where.
                          JDP Maryland

Comment

Here's one answer...
                            Think salesman from 1947, and not car collector.
                            A white top makes the car cooler inside (remember....no a/c)..
                            A darker body hides road grime (think less car washes)
                            Only things that car is missing are a sun visor, a swamp coller, and a load of Watkins (or Fuller) literature and samples.
                            Quite a nice example...
                            Jeff

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I'm currently restoring one of these. They are rare and it's nice to see one all together. Not too fond of the white top though. I'd sure like to get my hands on a lot of detailed pictures of the interior as mine was completely trashed by a rat on steroids and growth hormones. As someone already said, these cars were prone to a lot of rust at the bottom of the door pilars where the body mounts connects. I've had to completely rebuild mine. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X