Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found another business coupe (47 Champion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BBStude View Post
    I'm currently restoring one of these. They are rare and it's nice to see one all together. Not too fond of the white top though. I'd sure like to get my hands on a lot of detailed pictures of the interior as mine was completely trashed by a rat on steroids and growth hormones. As someone already said, these cars were prone to a lot of rust at the bottom of the door pilars where the body mounts connects. I've had to completely rebuild mine. Good luck.
    Here's the interior, as found. What's right or wrong, is up to the experts.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I agree, and seeing it in the weeds like this, just made it more unusual.BTW, it must have been there for awhile, the dry rotted, flat tires tread actually peeled off where they stuck to the ground.
        Last edited by JDP; 06-07-2010, 08:19 AM.
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Mr. Clary, the "Doctor's Buggy," as we call it today was originally offered as a, "Runabout." This vehicle was wildly popular throughout the country as it was easy to turn out with a single horse. They were often very sturdy and in some cases (the Concord model for instance) were specifically designed to ford rivers safely. They were relatively cheap (Sears and Roebuck sold them for fifty dollars in 1901), and cheap to turn out with just one horse. Hence, our limitation of this vehicle to just a 'Doctor's ' vehicle is a bit of a misnomer. They really weren't a Professional's vehicle as much as the 'econobubble' of their time.

John, Sal, I'm dying to know where this car was hiding. C'mon, give here! Where did you find this old jewell?
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
            Mr. Clary, the "Doctor's Buggy," as we call it today was originally offered as a, "Runabout." This vehicle was wildly popular throughout the country as it was easy to turn out with a single horse. They were often very sturdy and in some cases (the Concord model for instance) were specifically designed to ford rivers safely. They were relatively cheap (Sears and Roebuck sold them for fifty dollars in 1901), and cheap to turn out with just one horse. Hence, our limitation of this vehicle to just a 'Doctor's ' vehicle is a bit of a misnomer. They really weren't a Professional's vehicle as much as the 'econobubble' of their time.

John, Sal, I'm dying to know where this car was hiding. C'mon, give here! Where did you find this old jewell?

I checked with Sal, he hauled it from Plymouth Ca.
            JDP Maryland

Comment

Yes, it did come from Plymouth. I already talked to Roy about it. He's disappointed that he didn't get it. Sorry Roy.
              sals54

Comment

Working...
              X