Does anyone know what this is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know what this is?

Does anyone know what this may be from? Given it is brass and somewhat substantial, my guess might be a lathe or machine tool. The inscription reads: "South Bend Studebaker Model Manufactured by Municipal Supply Company, South Bend, Indiana, U.S.A."

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

It's off of a South Bend Lathe. I used to have one. 9X36. Good little lathe. It was worn out when I got it and I wore it out a little further.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
    As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

It's off of a South Bend Lathe. I used to have one. 9X36. Good little lathe. It was worn out when I got it and I wore it out a little further.

Comment

The word "Studebaker" somehow in my mind, does not fit! Does that mean this machine was made exclusively FOR Studebaker? South Bend Lathe was not a division of Stude. was it?

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The word "Studebaker" somehow in my mind, does not fit! Does that mean this machine was made exclusively FOR Studebaker? South Bend Lathe was not a division of Stude. was it?

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Studebaker didn't own them. It was made for Studebaker. The one I had said Douglas Aircraft.

Comment

Studebaker didn't own them. It was made for Studebaker. The one I had said Douglas Aircraft.

Comment

The plaque was originally used on a Studebaker Street Flusher. Studebaker held the patent (1905) on this device but in the teens they sold it to the Minicipal Supply Company of South Bend who manufactured it. I believe they were still producing these into the 1920's. I have an original copy of the 20 page color catalog showing the street flushers as well as the history of the product. It is from the teens. Digital images available on request. rtq11@aol.com

R. Quinn
                Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

The plaque was originally used on a Studebaker Street Flusher. Studebaker held the patent (1905) on this device but in the teens they sold it to the Minicipal Supply Company of South Bend who manufactured it. I believe they were still producing these into the 1920's. I have an original copy of the 20 page color catalog showing the street flushers as well as the history of the product. It is from the teens. Digital images available on request. rtq11@aol.com

R. Quinn
                  Richard Quinn
                  Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Working...
                  X