An alternator for a '63 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An alternator for a '63 Lark

Anyone have any ideas where I can find an alternator for a '63 Lark? Mine is original and its about worn out - we measured the output and its not so good. I know I can probably get one from SI, I was just wondering if anyone carried one in the mainstream.

While it dosn't look "correct", I used a alternator for a late sixties (68-9) mopar with the double grove pulley. It hooked up the same and used the regulator. I did have to file on the lower mounting tab on my alt to get it into the bracket, but all in all it was a bolt on, and on the shelf at my local parts store.
    Brad
    KD0FRQ

1950 Champion
    1964 Cruiser
    1946 M16

Comment

You need to read this article about the Honda alternator, it's a perfect fit, low price and easy to find. Here's the link for you.
      http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/.../hondaalt.html Although I think he has the part numbers backwards you will want the 35amp (the one for no A/C) It's part number 14184 at rockauto.com

Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Joe
      irishnra@cox.net
      Last edited by irish; 06-01-2010, 03:12 PM.
      sigpic

1962 Daytona
      1964 Cruiser
      And a few others

Comment

I bought mine from Dave Thibeault at the Iowa Intl Meet last summer.
        Attached Files

Comment

Give the manufacturers part number to an auto parts place and see if they can get one.

Comment

Has anyone had a Prestolite alternator rebuilt recently? And if so, how much did it cost for this service?
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

ebay sells the brushes for 10 bucks. A bearing & bushing shouldn't be too much either. If yours isn't full of crud or something, it should be easy to spruce up. I plan to rebuild one for the '66 I'm working on before i'm done with the car.
              Mike Sal

Comment

A good auto electric shop should be able to check it out and tell you what it needs, it may not be that much to fix it!

Comment

Originally posted by irish View Post
                  You need to read this article about the Honda alternator, it's a perfect fit, low price and easy to find. Here's the link for you.
                  http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/.../hondaalt.html Although I think he has the part numbers backwards you will want the 35amp (the one for no A/C) It's part number 14184 at rockauto.com

Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Joe
                  irishnra@cox.net
                  this also works on 6 bangers too, but its not a true bolt on.

To make it work the alternator bracket under the motor mount has to be slid back 1/8", I removed it and slotted the holes, bolted it back up and that part was lined up.

However the upper adjustment bracket will hit a bump on the alt case. I put a little more bend in it and flipped it to the front side of alt and everything was hunky-dory there.

And the last problem is easy fix, the fan hit the water pump pulley so I used a 1" longer belt. (part number 11a1030)

It charges very well, and was less than 45 bucks from O'Reily's with paying the core charge. Part number 14131, (79 civic cvcc 1.5 liter with ac) 45 amps too!
                  Last edited by Da Tinman; 06-03-2010, 10:25 PM.
                  http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

Did this conversion on a 1964 Wagonaire six cylinder and did NOT need to modify the bracket only changes were to replace the bolts that hold the alternator to the lower bracket and use a metric bolt at the top adjustment bracket got everything to line up properly and used the original fan belt. Alternator now works fine and electrical system charges normally. Bill J.
                    Bill Jackameit
                    1964 Challenger Wagonaire
                    1964 Daytona Sedan
                    Total of 10 Studebakers owned since 1961
                    Bill Jackameit's Studebaker Page online since October 1995
                    https://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/studpg.htm

sigpic

Comment

I have a Delco from a previous incarnation of my Lark, I had an electrical shop install an alternator after tiring of the generator's quirks. After that Lark died I had no idea on how to repeat the process

So, how do you install an alternator where a generator once resided?

Jeff T.
                      \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
                      The Replacements.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff T. View Post
                        I have a Delco from a previous incarnation of my Lark, I had an electrical shop install an alternator after tiring of the generator's quirks. After that Lark died I had no idea on how to repeat the process

So, how do you install an alternator where a generator once resided?

Jeff T.
                        Using my 1962 Lark (generator) as a guide: I used a 1970's GM alternator with integral regulator to facilitate the swap.

At least a 10 gauge (or larger) wire from the 'Batt' terminal on the alt to the 'Batt' terminal on the starter relay or directly to the '+' post on the battery.
                        Connected an 18 gauge jumper between the #2 small terminal on the alt to the Batt terminal.
                        Connected another 18 gauge wire from the #1 terminal to the lead that feeds the Gen light on the dash. And removed said Gen connector from the original Stude regulator.
                        Hit the ignition key and everything works fine.
                        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Go to the longest established, best reputation auto electric shop in your area. I've never had any problem getting a Prestolite alternator rebuilt. Parts are still available, at least a few years ago they were.

Russ Farris
                          1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                          1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Agree with Russ - I got my Prestolite rebuilt last year at the local auto electric shop - found 'em through the local chapter of the Little Guys. $150 later, I had a "new" alternator ready to bolt in.

Also: Wilson Auto Electric sells a direct, bolt-in replacement. It's p/n 90-06-1001, and you can get one online at http://www.apartsdepot.com/catalog/i...ucts_id=147799 for $175.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

What BRUCESTUDE said. Why not see about fixing what you have? Any good auto electric shop should be able to repair it and it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

Dave Bonn
                              '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Working...
                              X