Black behind GT Hawk Center Grille

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black behind GT Hawk Center Grille

The Oct '92 TW issue on GT Hawks raises the question about body color or flat black on the hood, behind the grill.

The June '93 issue resolves this.

It looks like ALL (62-64) GT Hawks had the hood area behind the grill painted flat black (like the area behind the lower air scoop). The area to be painted is pictured from an original '63.

I did mine today...

masked and scuffed

painted (that hood prop rod is Stude PN 1582764

The biggest impact seems to be the lower part. It doesn't stand out like a sore thumb now with the hood closed.

So, like the hood locking mechanism (paint vs leave natural), I'm going by the DOCUMENTED method in TW. I know someone will have seen an original painted body color, but if this car is ever shown by a future owner (certainly not by me ), I'd like them to have something besides anecdotal evidence of these type of things. If judges ever do start discussing authenticity deductions with the owner, showing TW documentation should save the points. Anecdotes probably won't.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

I've never seen a latch painted in any fashion, nor have I ever had a deduction for a unpainted one.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
    64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert-63
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I've never seen a latch painted in any fashion, nor have I ever had a deduction for a unpainted one.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
      64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
      63 Avanti R1
      63 Daytona convert-63
      63 Lark 2 door
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Lark HT-60Hawk
      59 3E truck
      52 & 53 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Dick,
        Thanks for posting those pictures. That is exactly the
        information I need to paint my hood. Your Hawk is awesome!!
        Terry Stinehelfer
        Bucyrus, OH

Comment

Dick,
          Thanks for posting those pictures. That is exactly the
          information I need to paint my hood. Your Hawk is awesome!!
          Terry Stinehelfer
          Bucyrus, OH

Comment

Were these sections actually painted, or just masked off during the paint process. I would think that those parts had a black e-coat and that painting and masking would have made more sense. Or am I just being anal over process [8]?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Were these sections actually painted, or just masked off during the paint process. I would think that those parts had a black e-coat and that painting and masking would have made more sense. Or am I just being anal over process [8]?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Maybe someone can respond here on the forum for the record, I thought the '62 GT's were body color behind the grill. Are we saying that all GT's had black behind the grill?

Tim K.
                '64 R2 GT Hawk
                Tim K.
                \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Maybe someone can respond here on the forum for the record, I thought the '62 GT's were body color behind the grill. Are we saying that all GT's had black behind the grill?

Tim K.
                  '64 R2 GT Hawk
                  Tim K.
                  \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

GT Hawks are painted simi-gloss black behind the grill except on black cars.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
                    64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
                    63 Avanti R1
                    63 Daytona convert-63
                    63 Lark 2 door
                    62 Lark 2 door
                    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                    59 3E truck
                    52 & 53 Starliner
                    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

GT Hawks are painted simi-gloss black behind the grill except on black cars.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
                      64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
                      63 Avanti R1
                      63 Daytona convert-63
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      62 Lark 2 door
                      60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                      59 3E truck
                      52 & 53 Starliner
                      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by GTtim

Maybe someone can respond here on the forum for the record,
                        In that article in the June '93 TW page 16 Fred Fox says...

"Several more members have written in about the paint color used behind the center grille of GT Hawks. All agree that all 1963 and 1964 GT Hawks were painted flat black behind the center grille. For 1962s, we have conflicting reports. Possibly on 62's the early ones were painted body color and the later ones flat black."

What follows are several letters and a picture of a supposedly original '62 with the flat black behind the grille.

One writer says that every '62 he has seen had the flat black behind the grill. Another says "all factory painted cars (62's) I've seen have had BODY color behind the grille".

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by GTtim

Maybe someone can respond here on the forum for the record,
                          In that article in the June '93 TW page 16 Fred Fox says...

"Several more members have written in about the paint color used behind the center grille of GT Hawks. All agree that all 1963 and 1964 GT Hawks were painted flat black behind the center grille. For 1962s, we have conflicting reports. Possibly on 62's the early ones were painted body color and the later ones flat black."

What follows are several letters and a picture of a supposedly original '62 with the flat black behind the grille.

One writer says that every '62 he has seen had the flat black behind the grill. Another says "all factory painted cars (62's) I've seen have had BODY color behind the grille".

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick, I'm just in the process of setting up my bead-blasting cabinet. I could take the hood latch off my GT, bead-blast it, and then swap you for the one in your car when I come down for the Portland swap, if you'd care to have a "shiny" one. A little gold VHT wheel center paint on the bead-blasted metal should make it look like gold-iridite cad plating.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Dick, I'm just in the process of setting up my bead-blasting cabinet. I could take the hood latch off my GT, bead-blast it, and then swap you for the one in your car when I come down for the Portland swap, if you'd care to have a "shiny" one. A little gold VHT wheel center paint on the bead-blasted metal should make it look like gold-iridite cad plating.

Comment

Working...
                              X