No announcement yet.

Black behind GT Hawk Center Grille

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eastwood sells a "cad" paint, looks nice.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
    64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert-63
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Eastwood sells a "cad" paint, looks nice.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
      64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
      63 Avanti R1
      63 Daytona convert-63
      63 Lark 2 door
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Lark HT-60Hawk
      59 3E truck
      52 & 53 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr

Dick, I'm just in the process of setting up my bead-blasting cabinet. I could take the hood latch off my GT, bead-blast it, and then swap you for the one in your car when I come down for the Portland swap, if you'd care to have a "shiny" one. A little gold VHT wheel center paint on the bead-blasted metal should make it look like gold-iridite cad plating.
        Thanks, Gord, but I'll just clean mine up if it bugs me too much.

Speaking of Gold iridite cad plating...when I did my Starliner, I took a whole box of parts (lower hood latch, safety catch, hood latch spring and pin, hood hinges, underbody brackets, etc)and specialized fastners that were visible when installed, down to the platers and had them gold iridate cad plated. It gives a nice OEM sort of look, protects them from rust and cost about $60 for the whole shooting match.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr

Dick, I'm just in the process of setting up my bead-blasting cabinet. I could take the hood latch off my GT, bead-blast it, and then swap you for the one in your car when I come down for the Portland swap, if you'd care to have a "shiny" one. A little gold VHT wheel center paint on the bead-blasted metal should make it look like gold-iridite cad plating.
          Thanks, Gord, but I'll just clean mine up if it bugs me too much.

Speaking of Gold iridite cad plating...when I did my Starliner, I took a whole box of parts (lower hood latch, safety catch, hood latch spring and pin, hood hinges, underbody brackets, etc)and specialized fastners that were visible when installed, down to the platers and had them gold iridate cad plated. It gives a nice OEM sort of look, protects them from rust and cost about $60 for the whole shooting match.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'm glad you took the time to paint that area, Dick. Too many people just ignore it and leave it body color back there. But how can anyone ignore it? It looks like (*&% if you don't make it black. It drives me nuts when I see that area non-black.
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I'm glad you took the time to paint that area, Dick. Too many people just ignore it and leave it body color back there. But how can anyone ignore it? It looks like (*&% if you don't make it black. It drives me nuts when I see that area non-black.
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

When you've got 300 hours into a paint job, another 45 minutes doesn't seem like much extra time .

BTW, it was Terry Stinehelfer that alerted me to the need for this. Thanks, Terry.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

When you've got 300 hours into a paint job, another 45 minutes doesn't seem like much extra time .

BTW, it was Terry Stinehelfer that alerted me to the need for this. Thanks, Terry.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Curiosity question on this topic....

Did Studebaker spray paint this black area on GT's or was it possibly brushed?? Reason I ask is when I dismantled my '53 hardtop, I found that the flat area behind the grill bars that is part of the fender/apron had been brush painted black over the light green body color. It makes sense that it was blacked out since it would be visible if a person looked directly into the grill. My car was "junked" in '61 and I never found any evidence of a repaint or other custom mods on it elsewhere so I assumed the brush job was factory.... I used to have a '63 lark 4dr parts car out back and the one remaining front fender had black brushed-on paint on the front behind the headlights. In both cases the brush job was pretty slapped on.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Curiosity question on this topic....

Did Studebaker spray paint this black area on GT's or was it possibly brushed?? Reason I ask is when I dismantled my '53 hardtop, I found that the flat area behind the grill bars that is part of the fender/apron had been brush painted black over the light green body color. It makes sense that it was blacked out since it would be visible if a person looked directly into the grill. My car was "junked" in '61 and I never found any evidence of a repaint or other custom mods on it elsewhere so I assumed the brush job was factory.... I used to have a '63 lark 4dr parts car out back and the one remaining front fender had black brushed-on paint on the front behind the headlights. In both cases the brush job was pretty slapped on.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

There is a Hawk hood on eBay now that looks like it might have the original paint and black around the grille.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...QQcmdZViewItem

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

There is a Hawk hood on eBay now that looks like it might have the original paint and black around the grille.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...QQcmdZViewItem

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

THANK YOU for this. My later production# '62 'survivor' has the blackout behind the grill, though my earlier one (not original paint) didn't. It got the treatment anyway, since it looks better.

I figure Brooks Stevens was trying to make the GT distinctly different from the '61 and a shot of black paint behind the new grill shell was a quick and easy way to further disguise the same hood panel.

"Obsolete" is a highly subjective term.
                            Andy
                            62 GT

Comment

THANK YOU for this. My later production# '62 'survivor' has the blackout behind the grill, though my earlier one (not original paint) didn't. It got the treatment anyway, since it looks better.

I figure Brooks Stevens was trying to make the GT distinctly different from the '61 and a shot of black paint behind the new grill shell was a quick and easy way to further disguise the same hood panel.

"Obsolete" is a highly subjective term.
                              Andy
                              62 GT

Comment

Working...
                              X