X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1951 Commander State

Any guesses on what this V8 beauty will sell for? Only 7421 miles![]

http://tinyurl.com/37pzfx

My guess is that the reserve is somewhere between $30,000 and $40,000, but I doubt it will be bid that high.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

My guess is that the reserve is somewhere between $30,000 and $40,000, but I doubt it will be bid that high.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

I'm gonna say $18K - and WILL sell.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'm gonna say $18K - and WILL sell.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'm with Len. I think it will bid low to mid 20's and not reach reserve.

What a beautiful car! Great color combo. Pretty special with those low miles.

What was the diff between a Commander Regal and a Commander State that year?

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'm with Len. I think it will bid low to mid 20's and not reach reserve.

What a beautiful car! Great color combo. Pretty special with those low miles.

What was the diff between a Commander Regal and a Commander State that year?

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

State models had the fender ornaments above the headlights, Dave. Fancier interior trim, too. Regals were C3; States were C5 on the body tag. There was no Commander Custom cheapie, and Regal dropped a notch from '50 to become the base model, squeezing out the DeLuxe at the bottom of the Commander food chain. (And you thought Chevrolet did that first with Bel Air trim in 1958, right? Maybe another Studebaker first? Probably not; that game is as old as the industry.)

This car is relatively close to me on the south side of Indianapolis; we live in the bedroom community of Brownsburg about 12 miles northwest of The Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Dale "Lark Parker/Trim Trader" McPhearson lives up the road in Frankfort IN and thought he had a lead on this car several years ago but could not track it down for sure. Apparently, it was real.

It is being offered by Ray Skillman Classic Cars, a division of Ray Skillman Ford and Ray Skillman Olds-GMC dealerships on Indianapolis' south side. I'm not sure where all the money is coming from for this venture, but they have advertised heavily in central Indiana for several months now, seeking to buy collector cars. [}] They've been doing pretty well at it (judging from their inventory), so they must be paying up for them.

If you remember, they had a 1955 President Regal Coupe (C-Body, not K) a couple months ago for $35,000. It was nice but I didn't see it in person so don't know how nice it was. It has been sold. [:0]

Not to disagree, StudeBob, but I think you're a tad low. I'll betcha this Commander crosses 20 biggies...and who knows if they'll even sell it then. This type of car (condition and preservation; even the fact that it exists!) is a whole lot more rare around here than it would be in drier California...where such things aren't common per se, but I think more frequently encountered than around here in the rust belt. [xx(] BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

State models had the fender ornaments above the headlights, Dave. Fancier interior trim, too. Regals were C3; States were C5 on the body tag. There was no Commander Custom cheapie, and Regal dropped a notch from '50 to become the base model, squeezing out the DeLuxe at the bottom of the Commander food chain. (And you thought Chevrolet did that first with Bel Air trim in 1958, right? Maybe another Studebaker first? Probably not; that game is as old as the industry.)

This car is relatively close to me on the south side of Indianapolis; we live in the bedroom community of Brownsburg about 12 miles northwest of The Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Dale "Lark Parker/Trim Trader" McPhearson lives up the road in Frankfort IN and thought he had a lead on this car several years ago but could not track it down for sure. Apparently, it was real.

It is being offered by Ray Skillman Classic Cars, a division of Ray Skillman Ford and Ray Skillman Olds-GMC dealerships on Indianapolis' south side. I'm not sure where all the money is coming from for this venture, but they have advertised heavily in central Indiana for several months now, seeking to buy collector cars. [}] They've been doing pretty well at it (judging from their inventory), so they must be paying up for them.

If you remember, they had a 1955 President Regal Coupe (C-Body, not K) a couple months ago for $35,000. It was nice but I didn't see it in person so don't know how nice it was. It has been sold. [:0]

Not to disagree, StudeBob, but I think you're a tad low. I'll betcha this Commander crosses 20 biggies...and who knows if they'll even sell it then. This type of car (condition and preservation; even the fact that it exists!) is a whole lot more rare around here than it would be in drier California...where such things aren't common per se, but I think more frequently encountered than around here in the rust belt. [xx(] BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks, Bob.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks, Bob.

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'll be watching this one with interest, not that my '51 State will be appearing at auction for the foreseeable decade. It was rescued from oblivion for $450 and, after a little investment...er, make that substantial time, money, sweat and a little bit of blood, I've added 25,000 to the odometer. It now reads 77,255. Nice part is, I only had to replace a little sheetmetal at the bottom of the doors. HC-5 #8562

too much fun!

Brad Johnson
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I'll be watching this one with interest, not that my '51 State will be appearing at auction for the foreseeable decade. It was rescued from oblivion for $450 and, after a little investment...er, make that substantial time, money, sweat and a little bit of blood, I've added 25,000 to the odometer. It now reads 77,255. Nice part is, I only had to replace a little sheetmetal at the bottom of the doors. HC-5 #8562

too much fun!

Brad Johnson
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

It just occurred to me: If this Commander is "all original," I wonder if the ding toward the top of the drivers front fender was put there by the mechanic replacing the original camshaft under warranty! That would make a good story, and who could disprove it? Heh, heh... BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

It just occurred to me: If this Commander is "all original," I wonder if the ding toward the top of the drivers front fender was put there by the mechanic replacing the original camshaft under warranty! That would make a good story, and who could disprove it? Heh, heh... BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                              X