No announcement yet.

51 Champ Cylinder Head ID From Numbers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 Champ Cylinder Head ID From Numbers?

Good evening, folks. I bought an NOS, still wrapped in the box cylinder head for my 51 Champion, and want to confirm it is a correct fit. A riveted plate has the numbers 1544290, which are also printed on the end of the Studbaker-Packard box. The only numbers I see cast into it are L9 23, no other numbers on the box.

I went to Johnston's page, but the cylinder head ID info did not go back that far. Any ideas?

Regards,
    Clarence

Google gives:

1544290 - CYLINDER HEAD CHAMP 6 1949-160 CHAMPION FLAT HEAD 6 I'm guessing 1949-1960 with a typo ? (From old SASCO listing)
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Aha, I figured it would be correct, since I got it from a guy who is very reliable, but given the aggravation if it were wrong, figured it best to ask before taking off the old one. Many thanks.

Comment

The chassis parts book shows it as the low compression (7 to 1) head for a 1958 185. While it will certainly fit and work, it will deliver less than 7 to 1 on the smaller 170 engine.

Comment

6.5 to One?

Sounds like a good candidate for some SERIOUS milling!

Maybe with 8.5 to 1, you could get er up to 87.5 H.P. !
          Last edited by StudeRich; 05-27-2010, 10:04 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Dwain and Rich, thanks for the help. If it fits and works, great, I'm not looking for a speed demon anyway. But would it damage anything, or hurt drivability to use this head on the 170. And thanks, my 51-54 chassis parts book didn't list it, I guess because if was from a later year production.
            My alternative is to take my old head to the shop for a good cleaning, and get it trued up of necessary. It seemed easier to bolt on a new, clean one, but maybe not a good idea in this case?

Regards,
            Clarence

Comment

Good afternoon, all. I decided to get the old head cleaned and keep the original fit/compression. Thanks to Dwain and Rich for the adivce.

Regards,
              Clarence

Comment

Working...
              X