June Turning Wheels - Avanti Metal Concepts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June Turning Wheels - Avanti Metal Concepts

Checkout the latest Turning Wheels. Outstanding article and photos of lost METAL 1962 Avanti Prototypes found and now headed to the Studebaker Museum.

This was a great find and look foward to seeing them someday.

Comment

The cars are now a part of the Museum.

Can't wait to get my TW.

Comment

Matthew,
        Doesn't the Museum require white cotton gloves when fondling the only one of these that does or ever will exist?;O
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I don't know who that guy is. He got in the way of the picture I took.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
            I don't know who that guy is. He got in the way of the picture I took.

Hey! I took that picture! lol
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Being an owner of a 1963 Avanti ..... all I can say is .... I'm sure glad that front end didn't make it beyond the prototype stage.
              sigpic
              John
              63R-2386
              Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

I keep noticing how the front fender of the gold car has a striking resemblance to the rear quarter panel of a production Avanti. Izzit comin' or goin'?

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                Hey! I took that picture! lol
                Well that mysterious, unknown guy is still in the way.

Hey, you must be the one that stole my camera.
                Last edited by mbstude; 05-25-2010, 07:32 PM. Reason: 'Cause it's fun.

Comment

Lots of people like to touch them, I guess. Could Bill Pressler's grin be any more on the big side?

The elusive red wires..

Original tires..

Interesting dash..

Some people just want parts while in South Bend, though..

Last edited by barnlark; 05-25-2010, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Folks lets set the record straight. These are Studebaker prototypes. THEY ARE NOT AVANTI PROTOTYPES!!!! If you wish to read the real story you can find it it in several places. First the truth can be found in the 06/03/10 issue of OLD CARS WEEKLY, the most recent issue of AVANTI MAGAZINE now in the mail to members and on the following website: http://www.sdckeystoneregion.com/member_don_jones3.html If you have questions ask the one who knows and has done the research to verify the these cars.
                    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

I've skimmed the article, I think Avantidon is saying the Avanti was already made and these concepts were made to conceptualize the idea of a 4 door to go along with the 2 dr???
                      61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 4961Studebaker View Post
                        I've skimmed the article, I think Avantidon is saying the Avanti was already made and these concepts were made to conceptualize the idea of a 4 door to go along with the 2 dr???
                        Makes sense to me...
                        Look at the photos in TWs...they sure seem to have Avanti tail lights. If they were Avanti prototypes, I don't think they'd have them unless the taillights were finalized first.
                        Rather unlikely if they were still deciding on basic body style.
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I wrote about the cars and the story I knew, which was what has happened over the last couple of years with my good friend Dave Arnold (AKA Barnlark). I clearly stated that I didn't want misinformation out there so I steered away from saying too much about the (sketchy) history of the cars. Once the early history of the cars is for-sure pinned down, there can always be a follow up article..
                          Last edited by mbstude; 05-26-2010, 08:30 AM. Reason: So I could type inside the "Reason for Editing" box

Comment

JB, Loewy used some of the Avanti parts that were available when he had these cars built by Pinchon-Parat in France. The only Avanti aspects are the taillights and the rear window design of the fastback. His direction to Ebstien and Andrews was clear design a family type car that would be moderately priced and design it as both a two-door and four-door model. My research has indicated tht was the direction he received from SHE when he signed the design contract for the next generation of Studebaker cars in 04/61. That was also the direction that Brooks Stevens received at the same time along with the redesign of the 61 Hawks.
                            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Don has a very nice two page article on these cars in the June 3 "Special Issue" of Old Cars Weekly that I received yesterday.

I consider these cars to be Studebaker sedan proposals, or possibly prototypes, with design cues from the Avanti.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X