Pat's garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pat's garage

If you'll recall, I recently wrote a little whimsical thing about a guy's encounter with a service station in the desert.
    Part of my inspiration for giving a description of the gas station's office was based on my recollection of gas stations of the 50s & 60s. That sorta place no longer exists as far as I know. BUT... I recently visited Pat O'connell's place in Three Rivers and even tho I'd been there numerous times before, I was struck by the vintage tone of Pat's office and how much richer I could have fleshed out the station I described in my little, fanciful bit.
    Here's a couple pics of the place - one even showing 80-year old Pat looking up an article on his Muntz Jet to share with me. Pat's a legend in his own time in Three rivers. At one time he drove Studebakers exclusively - told me he had as many as 7 at one time! There was that '54 Conestoga that his wife fell for after initially resisting even driving the thing. Anyway.....

[img] http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/.../28/Pat_s5.jpg [/img]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

[)]I just love old stations like that! I can just imagine a cold Nehi Grape Soda coming out of that Coke box![)]

steve blake
    http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt
    http://tinyurl.com/l7oqh
    steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup

Comment

[)]I just love old stations like that! I can just imagine a cold Nehi Grape Soda coming out of that Coke box![)]

steve blake
      http://tinyurl.com/l7oqh
      steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup

Comment

Looks amazingly like my desk.

(AFTER I cleaned it up)

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Looks amazingly like my desk.

(AFTER I cleaned it up)

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

When was the last time you saw a cigarette machine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

When was the last time you saw a cigarette machine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Remember the smell of an old fashioned small town garage? The oils and grease formulations of the day, mixed with years of built-up greasy dirt on the floors to get it just right. Oh the floors were swept fairly regularly, but never washed. Todays' sanitary shops so necessary to attract and hold a customer base can never give that great old smell!

Dwain G.

Comment

Remember the smell of an old fashioned small town garage? The oils and grease formulations of the day, mixed with years of built-up greasy dirt on the floors to get it just right. Oh the floors were swept fairly regularly, but never washed. Todays' sanitary shops so necessary to attract and hold a customer base can never give that great old smell!

Dwain G.

Comment

Boy, that's a fact, Dwain! Even the gas smelled different. Old linoleum flooring in the office, with the stuff worn half thru where the doors to the pumps and the bays were. The multi-paned windows all around and the old lettering, high up on the wall at the front of the various bays: TUNE-UP LUBE ALIGNMENT

BTW, Pat was a Mobile dealer for years. He had a Mobile station in the LA area and then found and bought this operation in Three Rivers in 1964! I don't know when he quit selling gas. He gave up mechanicing maybe 10 or 15 years ago. Now he still operates his tow service and as far as any work, he'll fix the occassional flat tire. That's the extent of his doings nowdays. He lost his wife last year and he'd downright lonely at this point.
                    Pat's got a sense of humor to be sure. Here's a custom tow truck he used for years. Now, it and several others he wore out, just sit awaiting their fate.[|)]

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Boy, that's a fact, Dwain! Even the gas smelled different. Old linoleum flooring in the office, with the stuff worn half thru where the doors to the pumps and the bays were. The multi-paned windows all around and the old lettering, high up on the wall at the front of the various bays: TUNE-UP LUBE ALIGNMENT

BTW, Pat was a Mobile dealer for years. He had a Mobile station in the LA area and then found and bought this operation in Three Rivers in 1964! I don't know when he quit selling gas. He gave up mechanicing maybe 10 or 15 years ago. Now he still operates his tow service and as far as any work, he'll fix the occassional flat tire. That's the extent of his doings nowdays. He lost his wife last year and he'd downright lonely at this point.
                      Pat's got a sense of humor to be sure. Here's a custom tow truck he used for years. Now, it and several others he wore out, just sit awaiting their fate.[|)]

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Great work Bob, thanks for a trip back home.I never been to that station but i been there many times .Our youth revisited.Isn't that a continental grille on that big chevy?

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

Comment

Great work Bob, thanks for a trip back home.I never been to that station but i been there many times .Our youth revisited.Isn't that a continental grille on that big chevy?

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

Comment

Looks more organized than my workbench.

Comment

Looks more organized than my workbench.

Comment

Working...
                              X