Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did this happen and why wasn't I told?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did this happen and why wasn't I told?

A great quote from an Ebay seller:

"RESTORATION PARTS FOR STUDEBAKERS ARE EXPENSIVE. MANY PARTS ARE NEARLY UNAVAILABLE, AND WHEN YOU LOCATE THEM, BE PREPARED TO PAY MORE THAN A FAIR PRICE."

It IS a nice M5 though:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...98355653QQrdZ1

I wonder if the obscene Barrett-Jackson M-5 truck sale has framed the seller's Opening Bid for this nice truck? Or motivation for selling it....hmmmm....[:0] BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I wonder if the obscene Barrett-Jackson M-5 truck sale has framed the seller's Opening Bid for this nice truck? Or motivation for selling it....hmmmm....[:0] BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Well, his crying about how much it cost to do, was/is borne of his ignorance of what farmed out work costs nowdays - coupled with - that in his lexicon - one "restores" a vehicle by acquiring it and applying your checkbook. Not to say that approach can't work (although, personally, I'd be wondering WHAT QUALITY of work was beneath the "gloss"[}]), but "cheap" it ain't![:0] He's got a really pretty, custom Stude truck now. Now it's up to fate to see if anyone else shares his vision of "cool".

OF COURSE..... as Bob's mentioned - there's that outrageous sale at B-J of a few weeks ago. This guy goes on about how life can throw you a curve to derail your dreams. As well, I'd bet a WIFE could throw you an elbow if she got wind of that B-J sale and knew that a similar gold mine was sittin' in the garage![][:X][:X][:X]

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Well, his crying about how much it cost to do, was/is borne of his ignorance of what farmed out work costs nowdays - coupled with - that in his lexicon - one "restores" a vehicle by acquiring it and applying your checkbook. Not to say that approach can't work (although, personally, I'd be wondering WHAT QUALITY of work was beneath the "gloss"[}]), but "cheap" it ain't![:0] He's got a really pretty, custom Stude truck now. Now it's up to fate to see if anyone else shares his vision of "cool".

OF COURSE..... as Bob's mentioned - there's that outrageous sale at B-J of a few weeks ago. This guy goes on about how life can throw you a curve to derail your dreams. As well, I'd bet a WIFE could throw you an elbow if she got wind of that B-J sale and knew that a similar gold mine was sittin' in the garage![][:X][:X][:X]

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

With the exception of the interior, the truck appears almost as nice as the one that sold for $70k at BJ. Unfortunately (for the seller), eBay isn't BJ. Also, the BJ truck was dark green which most likely appeals to all. The color combo on this truck (although nicely done) will limit the buyer pool. (BTW, he states he spent $7000 on body and paint, done by pro shops. Seems real low to me. With $40,000 spent on the truck, I'd expect close to half that on body and paint. The paint job on my Hawk was 300 hours...and that was on a rust free, dent free body. A lot of that labor is mine, but at a $50/hour shop rate, that would be $15,000 for a relatively simple pro paint job...I'm sure this truck was tougher).

A better write up, more and bigger pictures (including some of the "hot rod" Cathcart engine), and a low opening bid just might get him the $18k he's looking for.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

With the exception of the interior, the truck appears almost as nice as the one that sold for $70k at BJ. Unfortunately (for the seller), eBay isn't BJ. Also, the BJ truck was dark green which most likely appeals to all. The color combo on this truck (although nicely done) will limit the buyer pool. (BTW, he states he spent $7000 on body and paint, done by pro shops. Seems real low to me. With $40,000 spent on the truck, I'd expect close to half that on body and paint. The paint job on my Hawk was 300 hours...and that was on a rust free, dent free body. A lot of that labor is mine, but at a $50/hour shop rate, that would be $15,000 for a relatively simple pro paint job...I'm sure this truck was tougher).

A better write up, more and bigger pictures (including some of the "hot rod" Cathcart engine), and a low opening bid just might get him the $18k he's looking for.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

I agree with everything you've said, Dick (amazing, eh???) Too bad he didn't haul this thing to Arid-zona a couple months ago. After that M went to 76, there had to be AT LEAST some enthusiasim for another one! And this wild paint scheme might have actually been a PLUS at BJ.

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

Comment

I agree with everything you've said, Dick (amazing, eh???) Too bad he didn't haul this thing to Arid-zona a couple months ago. After that M went to 76, there had to be AT LEAST some enthusiasim for another one! And this wild paint scheme might have actually been a PLUS at BJ.

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I agree with everything you've said, Dick (amazing, eh???)
                    Made my day [8D]

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I agree with everything you've said, Dick (amazing, eh???)
                      Made my day [8D]

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                      X