Finally got a Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got a Hawk

This is DWard----I finally bought a Hawk---1957 Silver Hawk with a flathead 6 & auto transmission. It was a 3 hour drive home but made it ok. Now to the question:
    A 57 Hawk normally has a trim piece between the rear fender and the trunk. I noticed when I bought the car that it had been filled in with body putty---does'nt look good to me, but I have seen other cars done like this before. Scares me to think about what's under there. However, the body panels are in pretty decent shape otherwise. I will eventually dig all the putty out and try to restore it to original. Anybody seen this before?? Anybody prefer this for some reason??? I can't see any reason to do this other than to cover rust or seal out water or perhaps some people like the look?? Anyway--fun car to drive & I have a million questions, but for now ---Regards---Dan

Before you dig out the putty, make sure you *have* the trim strips. They were just painted steel, and did not weather well - used ones in usable shape are hard to find. CE did have repros but they are apparently hard to fit and they are just selling off the last of the stock that they have - if you think you want 'em, better call them up if they haven't sold the last of them already.

I believe that the studs to mount those are the same as the ones to mount the GT Hawk trunk overlay, but I won't swear to it.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Before you dig out the putty, make sure you *have* the trim strips. They were just painted steel, and did not weather well - used ones in usable shape are hard to find. CE did have repros but they are apparently hard to fit and they are just selling off the last of the stock that they have - if you think you want 'em, better call them up if they haven't sold the last of them already.

I believe that the studs to mount those are the same as the ones to mount the GT Hawk trunk overlay, but I won't swear to it.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      --
      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Before you go any further, pull both back wheels off, and get under there with a bright light. If the fins do have "bondo" on them, there is an excellent chance there is no car under the fins.

Been there along time ago.

Comment

Before you go any further, pull both back wheels off, and get under there with a bright light. If the fins do have "bondo" on them, there is an excellent chance there is no car under the fins.

Been there along time ago.

Comment

The screws to hold the fins in place are also sold by Classic, BUT the first four screws go into speed nuts, not until you get under rear glass are there any nuts that you can unscrew.

BG

Comment

The screws to hold the fins in place are also sold by Classic, BUT the first four screws go into speed nuts, not until you get under rear glass are there any nuts that you can unscrew.

BG

Comment

Here's what you want:
                http://ncsdc.com/TechnicalPages/FinsTech/index.htm

Lee

Comment

Here's what you want:
                  http://ncsdc.com/TechnicalPages/FinsTech/index.htm

Lee

Comment

I realize it's not "original", but I like the molded in look...

I think it's how Studebaker INTENDED it to look.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Uhhhhhhh...
                        I like the inside.......
                        (But I like the trim break on the outside...)
                        Heaven help him when the Bondo cracks appear on the light housing to body seam)
                        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Uhhhhhhh...
                          I like the inside.......
                          (But I like the trim break on the outside...)
                          Heaven help him when the Bondo cracks appear on the light housing to body seam)
                          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:[i]
                            That is exactly what they had in mind, see the book on the 53's and the chapter on Hawks. Problem is, they could not do it. Not for the lack of talent, ability, but because of money.

When we took the fins off the Hawk, which had it's fins "bondo'd" to the body side, there was no car underneath the fins.

I really don't think my Hawk was the ONLY one to suffer such a fate.

Bill

Comment

quote:[i]
                              That is exactly what they had in mind, see the book on the 53's and the chapter on Hawks. Problem is, they could not do it. Not for the lack of talent, ability, but because of money.

When we took the fins off the Hawk, which had it's fins "bondo'd" to the body side, there was no car underneath the fins.

I really don't think my Hawk was the ONLY one to suffer such a fate.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X