This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another e-Bay critique

Why is it that the interesting cars with possibilities only have 2-4 poor quality pictures and this mislabeled, totally trashed bullet nose has 23? Given the garden growing in the trunk, the rear bumper looks surprisingly good. With this thing priced at $500, the $700 '64 Lark is looking better all the time!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1947-...QQcmdZViewItem

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.

The seller either is off his meds...........or needs to get back them, I am not sure?!

Comment

either that or try something new...[8D]

Glen Brose
      Chino Valley, AZ
      Home of "Charlene"
      53 Champion Tudr Sedan

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

Why is it that the interesting cars with possibilities only have 2-4 poor quality pictures and this mislabeled, totally trashed bullet nose has 23? Given the garden growing in the trunk, the rear bumper looks surprisingly good. With this thing priced at $500, the $700 '64 Lark is looking better all the time!
        Speaking of values, I don't think this one has been posted yet...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

'64 4 door Daytona. V8 auto.

No rust western car. V8. Last of the Studebaker powered Studebakers. No PS or PB to go wrong. I'm not sure what it will actually sell for, but even paying twice the current bid AND $1000 to get it back east, it is a great value.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

These cars are both cases of RSS...

From time to time I come across a Stude around here, in local papers, or referred due to the fact that I am just about the only Stude guy around here... usually it's a severely rusted and/or partially stripped car... invariably, the seller thinks because Studebaker is not in business anymore, their car is some kind of gold mine! Also invariably, they end up offended when I tell them the truth about what it's worth...[xx(] If told about a car nowadays, I try to sneak a peek alone at it, and try to feel out the seller's attitude; and if necessary, politely convey my regrets... I always will save any Stude from the crusher- when I find a realistic seller...

As for the Daytona, I watched this one when it was listed this Spring; believe it did about $1200-1400... looks pretty nice from the pics...

When you do an eBay listing, you can list 23 pics FREE- yet still so many don't bother...[}]

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Comment

My 64 Daytona four door I sold last year had the identical interior as this one on ebay. My seats were actually nicer than this one on Ebay, and the door panels just as good. My car had very dull old paint and a little rust in a couple doors. The floor was very solid (it was from California). My headliner had split, the engine ran OK but was due for rebuild, and it had good disc brakes, power steering, four barrel and dual exhaust. I sold it for $1000. I was hoping for $1200, but that's the way it went. I had gone as low as $850 at one point a few years earlier and no-one was interested!
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Just curious Scott- where are you located?

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I'm in Minnesota BAMS50, almost in the prairie, but not quite. DId you give Dave T. a call about a gas tank sending unit?
                "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I have devised a new "towbar" rating system for these type of EBay barn and grove Studebakers. A 1-^ towbar rating sez pass on this one; 2-^^ towbars signifies that you should drive out there in a rented Xmpala and just strip off what you need; and 3-^^^ towbars says git 'er and drag 'er back, by any means posssible! This '50 is borderline between ^ and ^^, from what I can tell.

Comment

Yes, Scott, I called right away! Got ans. machine, though; will call tomorrow.

Thanks for the lead!

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

ok I fell for it again I clicked on the ad. and for $500 dollars you to can have a rusted old Bullet noseed Stude WITH TREE tracks across the front fender hood and roof, not to mention the busted glass and the miles of surface rust. I closed the window long before I got thru the 23 different photos of it going from bad to worse. That was a bad one. and I'm no expert[xx(]

Randy_G

www.automotivehistoryonline.com

Comment

If I were 300 miles closer, I'd haul it away if he gave me $100 plus gas money.

Brad Johnson
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        33 Rockne 10
                        51 Commander Starlight
                        53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
                        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

And the best part is that the snakes and mice are free!

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond & Louisa, Va.
                          Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Scott your post is interesting because just about the same thing happened to me. I sold a really decent 1964 Cruiser for $2,400 two years ago on eBay to a guy who was one of those "can't do a little and can't do enough for" type. I sold it because I didn't have garage space for it. I really struggled with "drive it and enjoy it because it isn't worth much" versus save it from the elements even if you get nothing for it." I still don't know the answer. At about the same time I sold a 1965 Commander sedan for about $1,500 that was in very good condition but a plain jane for the same reason...no inside storage. Two years later I saw it on a side street close to here in terrible shape with its passenger side doors caved in. THAT ONE I should have kept. It would have been better off outside with me. Live and learn I guess.

Studedude1961
                            --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Fortunately I sold the Daytona to an older fellow who wanted to finish the restoration and he keeps it inside. I had indoor storage for it most of the time while I had it in Minnesota, but I think it did go through two winters in the elements. One of those it was driven.

Now I've decided to sell my Cruiser.[V] I've posted pictures of it here before. I'm hoping to get about $2000, but that includes new front fenders and valance, as well as lots of smaller parts - some NOS. I'll probably post a new topic and give all the particulars.

Comment

Working...
                              X