This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M5 parts needed

Correct tail lights assemblies,gas tank sending unit,correct bumper bolts, grill guard. Would like NOS if possible or excellent used.
    Please email with availibility, cost and condition. This is beautifully restored truck that I've been asked to work on. Thanks for your help.
    Kim
    hudsonbaker@myexcel.com
    also would like to find a Nos vintage 6volt turn signal assembly

Finding this stuff in ANY condition will be a fantastic stroke of luck. Gary Ash (of this forum) may be able to say with certainty, but I'm pretty sure turn signals weren't even a factory option on M-series trucks. That means you'll need to find an aftermarket setup, which isn't that hard. Look on ebay. Of course, integrating them with this truck's existing lighting system will be a bit of a challenge. Especially the front signals.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The tail light assemblies, fuel sending unit, and correct bumper bolts are available from Studebaker International. Gary Ash has produced beautiful reproductions of the bumper guards. The tall accessory grill guard is tough to find. If you have one on any condition on the truck, have it straightened and replated.

You can install a right tail light assembly to get the rear turn signals. The fronts are usually done by ploping a big ol' round light on top of each front fender. Doesn't look that great (IMHO). There were some period fender mounted lights with arrow shaped lenses that are more attractive but still detract from the truck (again IMHO). You could use the parking lights as the front turn signals, but they aren't very visible. You'll also have to strap an aftermarket control unit on the steering column. If this truck is going to be used as a daily driver, turn signals are a good idea. If it's a show/parade truck with limited actual driving, they probably wouldn't be necessary.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Those front turn signals were the ones I was alluding to. While they did have those tiny parking lites, it would be tough to get much visibility from them if converted to dual-filament bulbs. What I'd be tempted to do would be to hide a BIG yellow lite just behind the grilles on the left and right. They'd surely show off when blinking, but practically invisible when not.
        Neat to know that proper taillights are available. Bumper bolts too!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
        X