Fred Fox TW "freerange" article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred Fox TW "freerange" article

What a treasure Stude folks have with Fred Fox's articles in TW. The latest about the freerange old Studes around Turlock is no exception. I've always had a warm spot for the Central Valley, probably because it was (and still is) such a fine depository of old cars.
    I used to trek north to the Turlock Swap Meet annually, so I know a bit about the area. My "old car" observations, as a SoCal resident visiting the Cental Valley/Turlock area;
    The foggy winter climate produces "mossy" cars and one can fairly well tell where north is on a long sitting hulk.
    Black-plate cars of the area were issued with an "E" as the first letter...the state must have sent them all to the DMV up there and they issued them for years, wheras down my way, the series ran up the alphabet thru the "Z" series as the sixties progressed. There are at least two "E" plates in Mr. Fox's article.
    Whenever I see an old car down here with an "E" series black plate, I'll casually ask the owner if the car came from the Central Valley. They're usually surprised and ask how I knew.

The 57 Packard in the article is sitting on a 56-7 Rambler, and there's an Ambassador and American in the background, in what is described as a junkyard. Does anyone else remember "Glenn's Used Cars" in Selma? It was a combination used car lot/ junkyard that appeared to have been abandoned in the early sixties and remained frozen in time until the nineties. We usually drove past it on the Turlock run. At some point I understand they auctioned off all the cars.
    There was another ranch home along Hwy. 99 that had dozens of postwar Packards and Buicks all parked around the house. He must have been a collector of note up there- anyone know?
    Autocrat
    SoCal

Agreed. I e-mailed Fred and told him that [u]Free-Range Studebakers</u> may go down as the most interesting piece he's ever done for Turning Wheels; a genius idea cooked up in the Fred & Art Experimental Editorial Kitchen.

An angle I especially appreciated was Fred's discourse on the various reasons for a marque's popularity in a given area. People tend to look at a given year/make/model car and assume the car's sales reflect public acceptance. [^] While that is generally true, it discounts dealer strength and factors beyond the control of even those dealers.

For example, Studebaker would likely have again sold over 100,000 cars in the 1962 model year had it not been for the union's ill-advised strike [xx(] at a critical time that crippled production when the cars were selling well. The best dealers in the world can't sell air. [:0]

Materials shortages and production delays are other factors. The Avanti might well have bought Studebaker more years than it did had they been able to produce them in a timely manner...but the Avanti's target audience of professional people are not used to waiting more than a reasonable time for what they want, so Avanti sales ultimately became a problem. By the time the cars were available, the doctor/lawyer types had already bought an all-new Buick Riviera or Corvette Sting Ray. [V]

Fred did a nice job weaving all that material together in a genuinely interesting article. [8D] BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Agreed. I e-mailed Fred and told him that [u]Free-Range Studebakers</u> may go down as the most interesting piece he's ever done for Turning Wheels; a genius idea cooked up in the Fred & Art Experimental Editorial Kitchen.

An angle I especially appreciated was Fred's discourse on the various reasons for a marque's popularity in a given area. People tend to look at a given year/make/model car and assume the car's sales reflect public acceptance. [^] While that is generally true, it discounts dealer strength and factors beyond the control of even those dealers.

For example, Studebaker would likely have again sold over 100,000 cars in the 1962 model year had it not been for the union's ill-advised strike [xx(] at a critical time that crippled production when the cars were selling well. The best dealers in the world can't sell air. [:0]

Materials shortages and production delays are other factors. The Avanti might well have bought Studebaker more years than it did had they been able to produce them in a timely manner...but the Avanti's target audience of professional people are not used to waiting more than a reasonable time for what they want, so Avanti sales ultimately became a problem. By the time the cars were available, the doctor/lawyer types had already bought an all-new Buick Riviera or Corvette Sting Ray. [V]

Fred did a nice job weaving all that material together in a genuinely interesting article. [8D] BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Living not too far south of where Fred lives, I've enjoyed Stude-spotting since we moved to this valley in late '89. Heh - I had 5 Studes spotted locally before we were even moved in![}] I eventually ended up with 4 of them.

I know of the place in Selma - it was cleared out about 5 or 6 years ago. Fact is, there might STILL be a car or two left there. The other place you mention is shown in a forum thread that started here just last week. The title of the thread was "towing with a Studebaker?" or something like that. There's a pic of my Transtar hauling off a Cruiser I found there and led a friend to. that fella passed on maybe 10 - 12 years ago and all the cars are gone now.[V]

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Living not too far south of where Fred lives, I've enjoyed Stude-spotting since we moved to this valley in late '89. Heh - I had 5 Studes spotted locally before we were even moved in![}] I eventually ended up with 4 of them.

I know of the place in Selma - it was cleared out about 5 or 6 years ago. Fact is, there might STILL be a car or two left there. The other place you mention is shown in a forum thread that started here just last week. The title of the thread was "towing with a Studebaker?" or something like that. There's a pic of my Transtar hauling off a Cruiser I found there and led a friend to. that fella passed on maybe 10 - 12 years ago and all the cars are gone now.[V]

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I want to add my voice in praise of Fred's article. That was a fascinating piece that could easily have stretched for more pages. The historical data was fascinating, and so were the photos. My humble thanks to all involved with this wonderful article.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
            '63 F2/Lark Standard
            http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
            Clark in San Diego
            '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"

Comment

I want to add my voice in praise of Fred's article. That was a fascinating piece that could easily have stretched for more pages. The historical data was fascinating, and so were the photos. My humble thanks to all involved with this wonderful article.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
              '63 F2/Lark Standard
              Clark in San Diego
              '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"

Comment

Yeah! What Clark said.[^] I really enjoyed the freerange article.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                Lotsa Larks!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Yeah! What Clark said.[^] I really enjoyed the freerange article.

Lotsa Larks!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

sigpic
                    Ross.