Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any advice?

Hello, everyone.

I am about to be a new Studebaker owner on Saturday. Tomorrow we head out to Wisconsin to pick up a 1949 Studebaker 1/2 ton truck to drive back to Kansas (about 500 miles). The truck is reported to be in good driving condition, with everything working, etc. It has modern rims and tires, but appears to be original everything else, to include the column-shifting 3-speed.

I plan to drive the side roads and keep off the interstates after determining that these old Studes weren't geared for modern highway speeds. I'll also have a support vehicle with me capable of towing it in a pinch.

I'd appreciate any advice anyone can offer for my maiden voyage.

A little background on me: I'm an old car nut from a very early age. I also own a 1960 Chevy Bel Air 4-dr that I restored, daily drove, and took on the 2005 Hot Rod Power Tour.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Having driven a ton and half Studebaker truck 800 miles, I know it can be done, but you won't stop vibrating for a few days after the trip. Even with overdrive 50 MPH is about all you'll be comfortable with the factory brakes.

64 Commander 2 dr.
    64 GT Hawk R2 clone
    64 Daytona HT
    63 Cruiser
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black)
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    63 Lark 2 door #2
    62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT
    60 Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Having driven a ton and half Studebaker truck 800 miles, I know it can be done, but you won't stop vibrating for a few days after the trip. Even with overdrive 50 MPH is about all you'll be comfortable with the factory brakes.

64 Commander 2 dr.
      64 GT Hawk R2 clone
      64 Daytona HT
      63 Cruiser
      63 Avanti R1
      63 Daytona convert
      63 Lark 2 door
      63 Lark 2 door #2
      62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Lark HT
      60 Hawk
      59 3E truck
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Keep Mr. MasterCard and Mrs. Visa close by...just in case.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Keep Mr. MasterCard and Mrs. Visa close by...just in case.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Don't worry, Mike. Your plan sounds good.
            With overdrive, you can even do some dual lane stuff after the merging challenge. Without overdrive you will just have time to enjoy the "side road" scenery.
            Of course, there is a ton of difference between traveling in the 1/2 ton and a 1 1/2 ton.

Lark Parker aka Trim Trader
            sigpic
            Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Don't worry, Mike. Your plan sounds good.
              With overdrive, you can even do some dual lane stuff after the merging challenge. Without overdrive you will just have time to enjoy the "side road" scenery.
              Of course, there is a ton of difference between traveling in the 1/2 ton and a 1 1/2 ton.

Lark Parker aka Trim Trader
              sigpic
              Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Mike.I dont know a lot about studebaker trucks
                but some of others do and i am sure they will help you.Try this
                i think its the studebaker truck site.
                www.network54.com/forum/23881/

Lenny

Comment

Welcome to the forum Mike.I dont know a lot about studebaker trucks
                  but some of others do and i am sure they will help you.Try this
                  i think its the studebaker truck site.
                  www.network54.com/forum/23881/

Lenny

Comment

My advice would be to rent a trailer and bring it home that way. Get to know the truck before you attempt to drive it that far. No need to start out your new relationship on the wrong foot. The 2R5 I owned (3spd without od) was pushing the little six (rpms)at speeds over 45 mph. That makes a 500 mile trip on back roads a 12 hour venture.

Dan Peterson
                    Montpelier, VT
                    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)
                    1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible
                    Dan Peterson
                    Montpelier, VT

Comment

My advice would be to rent a trailer and bring it home that way. Get to know the truck before you attempt to drive it that far. No need to start out your new relationship on the wrong foot. The 2R5 I owned (3spd without od) was pushing the little six (rpms)at speeds over 45 mph. That makes a 500 mile trip on back roads a 12 hour venture.

Dan Peterson
                      Montpelier, VT
                      1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible
                      Dan Peterson
                      Montpelier, VT

Comment

I owned a '53 1/2 ton for several years starting in about '92. I rebuilt everything, rewired for 12 volts, installed an OD, redid the interior, and drove the heck out of it! It was excellent around town as you sit up high, and contrary to popular belief, the brakes are excellent! I even took it on a 500 mile trip, mostly on 2-lane roads, with OD it topped out at about 65. The seats are a little upright, so you need a lot of rest stops.
                        These trucks are easy to work on, and they made quite a few of them, so parts trucks are still out there.
                        I hauled a lot of stuff; lumber, cabinets, dump runs, new lawn tractor, etc. with no problem (which is why trucks are geared lower and have oversized brake drums).
                        Anyway, good luck and have fun![]

Comment

I owned a '53 1/2 ton for several years starting in about '92. I rebuilt everything, rewired for 12 volts, installed an OD, redid the interior, and drove the heck out of it! It was excellent around town as you sit up high, and contrary to popular belief, the brakes are excellent! I even took it on a 500 mile trip, mostly on 2-lane roads, with OD it topped out at about 65. The seats are a little upright, so you need a lot of rest stops.
                          These trucks are easy to work on, and they made quite a few of them, so parts trucks are still out there.
                          I hauled a lot of stuff; lumber, cabinets, dump runs, new lawn tractor, etc. with no problem (which is why trucks are geared lower and have oversized brake drums).
                          Anyway, good luck and have fun![]

Comment

Those that think the brakes are excellent are much younger them I am. Since they are not self energizing, they take a lot more pedal pressure then I'm comfortable with. At 70 MPH if a BMW with four wheel disks stands on the brakes in front of me, I would not be able to stop a C cab in time, but that may just be me. I found until I upgraded to disks, I was not comfortable in bumper to bumper beltway traffic.

64 Commander 2 dr.
                            64 GT Hawk R2 clone
                            64 Daytona HT
                            63 Cruiser
                            63 Avanti R1
                            63 Daytona convert
                            63 Lark 2 door
                            63 Lark 2 door #2
                            62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
                            62 Lark 2 door
                            60 Lark HT
                            60 Hawk
                            59 3E truck
                            52 Starliner
                            51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Those that think the brakes are excellent are much younger them I am. Since they are not self energizing, they take a lot more pedal pressure then I'm comfortable with. At 70 MPH if a BMW with four wheel disks stands on the brakes in front of me, I would not be able to stop a C cab in time, but that may just be me. I found until I upgraded to disks, I was not comfortable in bumper to bumper beltway traffic.

64 Commander 2 dr.
                              64 GT Hawk R2 clone
                              64 Daytona HT
                              63 Cruiser
                              63 Avanti R1
                              63 Daytona convert
                              63 Lark 2 door
                              63 Lark 2 door #2
                              62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
                              62 Lark 2 door
                              60 Lark HT