This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think I have F.O.M. problems.

My 60 Hawk has a Flight-O-Matic,but Im not sure if its the 1960 one that came in the car or was swapped with the engine when some previous owner installed a 63 259. How can I tell,and does it make any difference?
    I told you guys last yeat how the tranny seemed to slip when under hard acceleration.This year its been making a weird howling noise when you shift it into neutral. This morning I parked it facing down a steep incline,when I put it in reverse to back out,I felt it slip definitley. I won't dare drive it hard anymore. The transmission is full,hot in drive,after going through all the gears.
    Do you think this is something I could fix with a fluid change(tourque convertor too),a filter cleaning,and a band adjustment? Im not sure I could even adjust the bands,as Ive never actually done it before,and might make things worse, but the procedure dosen't seem that complicated in the shop manual.
    When on the road in drive at highway speeds there are no apparent problems. Am I in danger of having the unit fail suddenly,or will it gradually get worse?
    Whats the usual cost to rebuild one,and where would you get it done at? I doubt if "Mr Transmission" would be the right sort of place.
    I love this car and will definitly be getting it fixed,just wondering what to expect.

Transtar56: Well first off, the fact that your Trans. may be a '63 instead of a '60 or 259 VS 289 IS NOT going to cause the problems you are having.
    John Metzger is our SDC Auto Trans, Pro. but he might say something like: "it sounds like the clutch drums are losing oil pressure causing the slippage. That is very common in worn units needing new soft seals as the current ones are hard as a rock from heat and age."
    My personal opinion, from experence only. The Flight-O is a good strong tranny when working right. Definetely DO NOT go to AMMCO or any chain store, look for a shop with the owner's name on the sign, hopefully a "work in" owner! AND, ask if they are familiar with Ford-O-Matics, when did they do one? I don't think new fluid will help.
    Hope this helps, Rich.

quote:Originally posted by Transtar56

My 60 Hawk has a Flight-O-Matic,but Im not sure if its the 1960 one that came in the car or was swapped with the engine when some previous owner installed a 63 259. How can I tell,and does it make any difference?
    I told you guys last yeat how the tranny seemed to slip when under hard acceleration.This year its been making a weird howling noise when you shift it into neutral. This morning I parked it facing down a steep incline,when I put it in reverse to back out,I felt it slip definitley. I won't dare drive it hard anymore. The transmission is full,hot in drive,after going through all the gears.
    Do you think this is something I could fix with a fluid change(tourque convertor too),a filter cleaning,and a band adjustment? Im not sure I could even adjust the bands,as Ive never actually done it before,and might make things worse, but the procedure dosen't seem that complicated in the shop manual.
    When on the road in drive at highway speeds there are no apparent problems. Am I in danger of having the unit fail suddenly,or will it gradually get worse?
    Whats the usual cost to rebuild one,and where would you get it done at? I doubt if "Mr Transmission" would be the right sort of place.
    I love this car and will definitly be getting it fixed,just wondering what to expect.
    StudeRich
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

If I take it real easy on it,do you guys think I can get by through the summer and have it re-built over winter,or should I stop driving it now?

Comment

Sometimes we forget the Borg-Warner is one of the most widely used automatic transmissions ever built. Any transmission shop with a mechanic over forty has rebuilt many of them in Jaguars, Fords, Mercurys, Lincolns, all the various AMCs, Jeeps and many other cars and trucks.

Talk to whomever you take it to and get them past Studebaker. When they understand it is just the very common Borg-Warner, they should be fine with it. It used to be the standard automatic all shops and schols used to train guys on because it was so widely used and functionally straight-forward. Parts are still in the catalogues.

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

Working...
        X