This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of this ODDBALL? 53 Studebaker

The guy I am trying to buy those two Studebakers from the 50 Commander and 57 Transtar truck, sent me this pic. He wants to sell this Studebaker. He said its a 53 with 'HAWK FINS". Its a custom with cheapo paint and crappy flames. He says it runs/ drives.

Thought I would post a pic and see what you guys thought. He wants 6K fot it.

By the way, I think I have a deal on the 50 Bullet nose car. He says he waiting to hear from a guy with first shot on the transtar truck but I should know in a couple of days. I hope to go get the bullet nose on Friday of it all works out.

Dave
    here is the 53????? what do you think.

those are '56 Golden HAwk fins, someone might want those, they are fiberglass and therefore can be damaged beyond repair...

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

those are '56 Golden HAwk fins, someone might want those, they are fiberglass and therefore can be damaged beyond repair...

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      62 Daytona hardtop
      http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
      SO how do you think he installed them if they are glass???? Do you think they can be removed and reused or do they bolt on in some way????? I learn somethign new everyday.

LAWFISH

Comment

The fins just bolt on the rear quarter panel. We've removed/installed several Hawk fins before. This car also has Avanti hubcaps and 54 Stude grille bars. I really do like the look of the car; a 53-54 with 56J fins. AS far as the color scheme, well...

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
        South Georgia Chapter Newsletter Editor
        63 Daytona HT (project)
        51 2R16 dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
        52 Commander Starliner (basket case)(will trade for another Stude <g&gt
        MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars.
        Click my name and check out "Links".

Comment

I kinda like it, I am willing to bet that its a 56, with a 53 front
          end, but then its got Avanti hub caps? The mirrors are a nice change,
          but I never cared for flames.

Tom
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

56 - 54 - who cares! I think it's COOL! I don't like the flames tho. They simply detract from the gorgeous lines.[8D]

BTW, $6K for a hardtop that runs and drives??? No-brainer![:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:I am willing to bet that its a 56, with a 53 front
              end,
              It's been done before. We're currently putting together a 56 Power Hawk (started life as a Flight Hawk, but had a 259 with OD when we got it) to make it look like a 54 Commander coupe. It even has the 50's style floor shifter conversion in it. The car is virtually rust free, and runs great. We have considered 57 Silver Hawk fins, but decided against it.

63 Daytona HT (project)

Comment

If it isn't real rusty, $6k is a good deal.

I like the combo. In fact IMHO, any modified C/K that looks good without a '53-54 front end...looks better with one [8D]

I even like the flames (maybe could do without the ones on top of the fender and door).

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

I am willing to bet that its a 56, with a 53 front
                  end
                  If it was a '56 with a '53 clip, that'd be a kinda sweet deal If it has a Packard engine in it...

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

It even has the 50's style floor shifter conversion in it.
                  I'm curious: what's a "50's style" floor shifter?

---------------------------
                  Clark in San Diego:

Proud new owner of a '63 Lark!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I just meant that it has a floor shifter conversion that looks like it might have been done in the 50's. I've heard of them being called that before. I don't know if it's really 50's or not, but it's an older type. Sorry...

63 Daytona HT (project)

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by mbstude

The fins just bolt on the rear quarter panel. We've removed/installed several Hawk fins before. This car also has Avanti hubcaps and 54 Stude grille bars. I really do like the look of the car; a 53-54 with 56J fins. AS far as the color scheme, well...[quote]

Are those Avanti wheel covers or 53 "Tri-spoke" covers? It's hard to tell in the picture on my screen.
                      sigpic
                      Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

The owner emailed me, the 53,it has a 289 automatic, its rust free.

It does kinda grow on ya. I will see it in person and maybe if the price stay 6K I can afford it if for nothign else to get it out of there and sell it. Hes changed the price on the truck and bullet nose twice since I first asked. I dont think he does it to be a jerk, he seems older and I think he shoots from the hip!!!

Dave

Comment

I will reserve judgement on the flames, because I probably couldn't do them any better. The cleaner-looking 53 front and the 56 GH-style fins is a interesting mix, there. If the body is solid and the engine is a really good 289, then it might be a deal at that price.

Comment

The car reminds me of Bob Bourke's personal car. It was/is a '54 Commander Starliner that Bob put hand made (by him) small vertical fins on. His prototype fins became the '56 Golden Hawk fins (with some modification in style and material - from cast metal to fiberglass).

Gary L.
                            1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                            1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hey Lark Parker, those are definitely Avanti wheel covers.

63 Daytona HT (project)

Comment

Working...
                              X