This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floor replacement Pictures are up!

Ken Glowacky replaced his wagon floors and posted the following description but couldn't show pictures. He sent them to me, I forwarded them to mbstude who will post them here (below).

Ken's description...

I just finished replacing my 56 2 dr wagon complete floors back to the rear seats. I purchased my floor from CE. First make sure you order all 4 pieces if you need them. The back two are not that much more they are really worth it if you need them. I did do the 1/2-3/4 lap and hole punched the interior side and welded in the holes, then went under and welded the seams. The top of the front floor I hole punched and welded in the holes to attach to the firewall.It looks real good. One thing I did that must be done to get a good fit is to make sure you remove the old floor that goes under the door post and the hidge post. DO NOT CUT AROUND THEM unless you are sure the metal is perfect. In every case I have seen if the floors are rusted under the piller are also. Remove all the bracing under floors that are bolted to the frame. Leave the doors on and when the floor is removed (one side at a time, you may leave the other door latched for support if you have a good fit and the door gaps are good, you'll have to play this by sight)Depending on how bad the body is you may have to weld bracing in the door jams but most sedans are rigid enough that it isn't nessassary. The door will be a used as a alignment tool. Make sure to remove the door latch so the door can open and close freely on the replacing side. If you try to latch it could force the body into a bind. If you would like pictures of my before and after send me an email and I will be happy to send them to you. I would not object to sharing these with everyone but I can not figure out how to get them on this page and my patience are gone. Good Luck and just remember the job gets easier on the second side as you know all the sortcuts. The rockers are real simple and they are also good alignment tools as the floors are being replaced.

Enjoy,
    Bob (stude53)

Just added - until Matt can get these resized are the large pictures:
    http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53//

Ok, maybe this'll work. This looks really great!

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
    South Georgia Chapter Newsletter Editor
    63 Daytona HT (project)
    51 2R16 dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
    52 Commander Starliner (basket case)(will trade for another Stude <g&gt
    MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars.
    Click my name and check out "Links".

Comment

Thanks, Just wanted to add that my floors were so rusted that I had to fab pieces from the replacement panels to the tunnel and these floors are for a sedan not a wagon so the pattern is different. The body has been dipped and primered and boy does it look good.

Comment

Is that the radio cutout on the passenger side of the dash? Our 56 Champ two door has the radio in the middle, with the speaker on the passenger side. What model (Prez, Commander, Champ) is your wagon?

63 Daytona HT (project)

Comment

Yes it is a radio cutout, BUT WAIT, it is a back yard 196??? addition to this champion model. The radio belongs in the middle of the dash. My has the delete plate.

Comment

Hey, Ken

It took me a few trys to get your pics to Matt, but I'm sure there are quite a few that will revisit this and benefit from your hard, great looking work.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
            Bob (stude53)

Comment

quote:Yes it is a radio cutout, BUT WAIT, it is a back yard 196??? addition to this champion model. The radio belongs in the middle of the dash. My has the delete plate.
              OK, I was just making sure. Ours (56 Champion two door sedanette) has the radio in the middle.

You can barely make it out on this pic:

Here's a bigger version: http://community.webshots.com/photo/...74401068xPqzgG

63 Daytona HT (project)

Comment

Thanks for the pictures.

I've gotta do my 54 Conestoga one of these days! I did buy the wagon floors...don't know what difference that'll make. My current floor is in a little better shape...but not good enough to leave it as is!
                I'll probably tackle it after the engine swap later this year.

Mike

Comment

I did not know the wagon floors are available. The differences are as follows. The pattern is different, the big diff. is the raised cross section that intersects the rear tunnel that covers the split drivesaft support. In my pic's I cut the cross section out and capped them. I might have to add the remaining cross section back. If it doesn't clear but right now it clears OK. I thought I can put a little thicker ruuber spacer between the body and frame. One more thing, My wagon came with a under the seat heater which requires a box(hole) to be added under the pass seat. I am going to run a new AC/Heater system so I did not need to do this. Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
                  X