This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Post..Just Bought a 55 Stude Truck

This is my first post on the site...just bought a 1955 Studebaker Truck today (owned a 64 Avanti once a few years back). Very solid little truck, been sitting a couple years, need to do the brakes and other typical revival stuff. Looking for some tips and tricks and general information on whatever it is I just dragged home...it's all new to me...Im usually wrenching on VWs.

In any case...excited to be here and to learn more about my new purchase.

Welcome! If you have any specific technical questions, try asking them in the tech section, I have found Studebakers from this era to be pretty much as simple to work on as a VW, and I have owned both. The only thing that is beyond me on the Studebakers are automatic transmissions, and you shouldn't have to wory about that with a truck.

Comment

Congrats Bugnbox, I used to own a 56 Transtar (nearly the same as yours) and I restored it so I can tell you if your used to wrenching you won't run into anything on it that will have you up a tree, with the possible exception of the overdrive unit, if so equipped. Your in luck by finding this forum, we have experts here on everything,including the OD, so just get down and get dirty. You say "pretty solid",meaning I assume no, or little rust. Thats a HUGE bonus,most of these trucks get rusty in the cab corners, the floors, even the dash. Take the seat out,take the hood and box off(only four bolts) and then after you do some cleaning and scraping you'll find if shes got any nasty secrets.
      Is your truck a V-8?, if so this is the first year it was available.If you need any parts I have a few left overs around,but as I might buy another one,Im not sure I should sell them. But Ill help you out if you need it,Ive got a perfect hood,tough to ship, but hard to find too.
      Good luck!

Comment

Welcome, Bug!

I'll say what everybody's thinking:

Got any pictures?

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Comment

Thanks for the warm greetings!
          The internet is a great way to reach others with the same interest...it's hard to imagine not having it.

In any case, by solid I am referring to rust...it really looks good in that regard. It was restored once by the previous owner (who was an ex Studebaker employee) and he had stripped it down to bare metal at the time. The bed is phenomenally straight..never hauled anything heavy I guess...tailgate is super clean too. It does have the V8 and a three speed trans with overdrive. The rear differential has been swapped out with a Ford unit so it has taller gearing for the highway which should be nice. Its painted School Bus Yellow to match the Steerman Biplane he is restoring (now there's a project!). Doesnt look like it's missing anything but maybe the side view mirrors...there are couple boxes of parts I havent dug through yet though...so maybe they are there.

Im just getting ready to go out and pop a battery in it and give it a crank...I will post my results and some photos soon.

Comment

welcome Bug,I just joined SDC in oct of last.I can tll ya straight up if there anything you can find you need help with there will be more help here than you can get at any auto shop anywhere.Great bunch of gearheads to be sure.I just wish we all lived close enought together so we could ice down a keg or two n chew the fat face-to-face.Now join SDC and get started recieving your TW magazine.

Comment

Bug,
              Congratulations on your new gem. If you haven't joined the Studebaker Drivers Club as yet, you really should. As previously stated there's a lot of good info and advice in each issue of "Turning Wheels" magazine, especially in the Cooperator section. You can join the club on this website. Good luck.
              Rog
              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

A V-8 and 3 over,man did you luck out! Thats the nicest possible combination in these trucks. Don't know what F*%d rear you have,but I bet its done well and will give you a good cruising speed since it was done by a Stude dude.
                Is it short wheelbase too?

Comment

Welcome aboard bug-man.[}] Sounds like a neat truck. There's some folks around here that like 'em bright yellow. V8 3spd OD, you got the optimum combo there! I wonder what gears that F*rd rear has in it? I don't have any complaints with my 57 that sports 4.27s in it. With the OD, it cruises right nice.
                  Also, seems to me the lug pattern would be different than the front wheels but maybe he meant he installed a set of GEARS from a F*rd rear. I took a set of 3.73 gears out of an old F*rd rear some years ago and installed them in a Stude truck rear.
                  BTW 5859, one could get an automatic in a Stude truck.[^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The rear end is from a 65 F*rd Station Wagon...
                    I think it's the short wheelbase...how can I tell?

I gave it the first try this morning to fire up the old gal and she wouldnt go. The big cable from the starter to the switch was disconnected so I jumped it straight over to the positive terminal and the motor turned but only super slowly...it also got the terminals red hot in a second. Fisrt stupid question (perhaps this should be in the tech section?) is...the car is Negative Ground correct?. Also...do you think the starter might be bad? I pulled the plugs and it turned over fine...but still a little slow.

Oh...and I have joined the club and am looking forward to the newsletter and all your help and friendship.

Comment

Welcome!
                      The V-8, 3 speed, OD is a great combination. I have a 58 with the 259 V-8, 3sp, OD, 4:27.1 rear end, and it is a good combination of gearing, good grunt off the line with a load, and still able to keep up with the traffic on the freeway (if you have driven the So-Cal freeways, that means 70+ MPH)
                      Again, welcome. I hope you feel at home here, I sure do.

Ross.
                      Riverside, Ca.
                      1957 Provincial X2
                      1958 Transtar
                      1963 Lark. Temp storage?
                      sigpic
                      Ross.
                      Riverside, Ca.
                      1957 Provincial X2
                      1958 Transtar

Comment

Bug, NO,its not neg ground, its positive ground if its still the stock 6-volt system.That cable getting hot is a warning you better try some new,heavy(OO) cables,clean up all your connections.
                        If its a short wheelbase the Vin plate will end in"112",as in 112 inch wheelbase. Its located on the door sill,drivers side.

Comment

Transtar56 is right to warn you about the positive ground. You had best examine it closely to see if it still is pos. ground 6v or if anyone has changed it to neg. ground 12v yet. Use a voltmeter across the terminals to determine pos and neg, then see which one connects to the chassis as the ground.

Also, the short wheel base model numbers end in "12", not "112", because my 55 1/2 ton with 6 cylinder is an "E5-12". If yours was stock with an 8 cylinder, it is likely going to say "E7-12". You can look here to see if your engine's serial number is correct for your year truck: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tech_v8data.asp

The above link is a page in the Tech Tips section of this SDC website.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                          The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                          "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                          The Red-Headed Amazon
                          Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Short wheelbase carries a 6ft long box. Long carries an 8ft box.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President 2-dr
                            1955 President State
                            1951 Champion Biz cpe
                            1963 Daytona project FS
                            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

What? The short wheelbase only has a 6 ft. long box? And I thought mine was 6 1/2 ft. I've been shorted six inches!!!

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                              The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                              "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                              The Red-Headed Amazon
                              Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X