Decoding a V-8 Engine Stamping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decoding a V-8 Engine Stamping

OK, recruits, here's a brain-teaser [xx(]: A newbie called from Oklahoma this morning, seeking to decode this number he found stamped on the Studebaker V-8 engine transplanted into the 2R-series pickup he just bought: VL 7I74 [:0]

It is a legitimate stamped ID number for a regular-production Studebaker V-8, but it's the first one I'd ever heard of. Anybody care to figure out what it is? ([}] 'No fair pulling the trigger right away, StudeBob/Mr. Biggs: You know you're physically closer to the answer than most forum members! ) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

259 cu.in made in Sept. 63. I think they skip the "I" in the month code.

64 Commander 2 dr.
    64 GT Hawk R2 clone
    64 Daytona HT
    63 Cruiser
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black)
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    63 Lark 2 door #2
    62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT
    60 Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

259 cu.in made in Sept. 63. I think they skip the "I" in the month code.

64 Commander 2 dr.
      64 GT Hawk R2 clone
      64 Daytona HT
      63 Cruiser
      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black)
      63 Avanti R1
      63 Daytona convert
      63 Lark 2 door
      63 Lark 2 door #2
      62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Lark HT
      60 Hawk
      59 3E truck
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

[V] Nope, John; that's the direction I initially took, too! BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

[V] Nope, John; that's the direction I initially took, too! BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

That's EASY. OH! OK.... I've edited my answer so those of different locales can have a shot at it.[8D]

Geeeeezzz... Why didn't I remember this when I was reflecting on the "L" being left out of the '64 engine serial numbers! It would have been misleading had "L" been used! I've got a couple of these engines lyin' about out here.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That's EASY. OH! OK.... I've edited my answer so those of different locales can have a shot at it.[8D]

Geeeeezzz... Why didn't I remember this when I was reflecting on the "L" being left out of the '64 engine serial numbers! It would have been misleading had "L" been used! I've got a couple of these engines lyin' about out here.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

V = 259
                L = Los Angeles
                7174 = just engine number = in this case from 1956.

And
                In 63-64 engine number the did skip bouth "I" and "L" letters.

Lennart...
                Lennart...
                -63 Avanti R1
                -61 Champ 6E5 122\"
                -57 Transtar 3E5/7 112\"
                -58 Golden Hawk

Comment

V = 259
                  L = Los Angeles

And

Lennart...
                  Lennart...
                  -63 Avanti R1
                  -61 Champ 6E5 122\"
                  -57 Transtar 3E5/7 112\"
                  -58 Golden Hawk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Aspalen

V = 259
                    L = Los Angeles

And

Lennart...
                    BINGO! Those engines don't often make their way back here to the midwest, so I had to do some skull-scratching at first! Let's face it: 1956 Commander engines from the Vernon Assy plant just aren't all that common. (Well, I suppose StudeBob would have several of them, but still...thanks for holding off, StudeBob.) BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Aspalen

V = 259
                      L = Los Angeles

And

Lennart...
                      BINGO! Those engines don't often make their way back here to the midwest, so I had to do some skull-scratching at first! Let's face it: 1956 Commander engines from the Vernon Assy plant just aren't all that common. (Well, I suppose StudeBob would have several of them, but still...thanks for holding off, StudeBob.) BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Hey Bob; how about some multi-state trivia questions? Bob & I and I guess several other West Coasters had to hold-off on that one!! Way too easy! [:0]

Like maybe: What is the first year model Hawks had the Bendix type power steering?

What year model did Larks change to the new ("0" Caster alignment) King Pins?

Please post your guesses on the new posts: "Trivia Question One" & Two.

StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Hey Bob; how about some multi-state trivia questions? Bob & I and I guess several other West Coasters had to hold-off on that one!! Way too easy! [:0]

Like maybe: What is the first year model Hawks had the Bendix type power steering?

Please post your guesses on the new posts: "Trivia Question One" & Two.

StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            Good Idea! OK, recruits, StudeRich has thrown down the gauntlet: What are the answers to his questions? (I'm not about to answer them right away; let's give others a chance to jump in.) BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

StudeRich
                              Studebakers Northwest
                              Ferndale, WA
                              Good Idea! OK, recruits, StudeRich has thrown down the gauntlet: What are the answers to his questions? (I'm not about to answer them right away; let's give others a chance to jump in.) BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                              X