This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great timing

I went to the local metal recyclers today. I was looking for some scrap steel channel or rods or tubing - something that I could use to make a project for our usual huge garden.

So I'm walking around amongst towering piles of scrap metal - Engine pieces, old lawn mowers, shelving, mashed appliances, etc., etc., etc., when my gaze wanders about 20 feet to my left, along the edge of one big pile. My eyes first passed over what they saw and then they refocused on one spot. There was a mound of brand new chrome, and steel and specialty lug nuts! Thousands of them - brand spanking new! Then I realize there's a BUNCH of brand new custom steel wheels, all sorts of brand new shoock absorbers, lowering blocks, U-bolts, helper springs and even some stripped axle housings that all were brand new!
    Geez, it was just 3 weeks ago that I paid about a buck-forty apiece for chromed nuts to install my AMC alloy wheels on the Provincial.[V] Here I could have bought them for 20 cents a pound.[}]
    I forced myself to just walk away from the stuff. I finally found some steel channel, paid for it and left.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

Bob; which part was a Dream, the finding all that good stuff or the part about walking away??!!! [:0][}][^] Rich.

[quote]Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I went to the local metal recyclers today. I was looking for some scrap steel channel or rods or tubing - something that I could use to make a project for are usual huge garden.

So I'm walking around amongst towering piles of scrap metal - Engine pieces, old lawn mowers, shelving, mashed appliances, etc., etc., etc., when my gaze wanders about 20 feet to my left, along the edge of one big pile. My eyes first passed over what they saw and then they refocused on one spot. There was a mound of brand new chrome, and steel and specialty lug nuts! Thousands of them - brand spanking new! Then I realize there's a BUNCH of brand new custom steel wheels, all sorts of brand new shoock absorbers, lowering blocks, U-bolts, helper springs and even some stripped axle housings that all were brand new!
    Geez, it was just 3 weeks ago that I paid about a buck-forty apiece for chromed nuts to install my AMC alloy wheels on the Provincial.[V] Here I could have bought them for 20 cents a pound.[}]
    I forced myself to just walk away from the stuff. I finally found some steel channel, paid for it and left.
    Miscreant at large.

StudeRich
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I had a similar experience last year, but I pulled about ten pounds of stuff out and went to check out. The guy there told me that that stuff was all scrapped because it had hidden defectrs in the metal and failed in service.
      Perhaps your walking away was the prudent thing to do..
      Jeff[8D]
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Might have been the case but I sorta doubt it. Nothing like that is made anywhere near this part of the state. I picked up some lug studs and spun a few nuts on and off and debated for a minute. It was about a hundred degrees at that point (got to 103 here today.[xx(]). I just wanted to complete my "mission" and get goin'.

In one corner of the place, I saw some aluminum manual transmissions. At least externally, they looked fine. I didn't recognize them at a glance and didn't feel like dragging them off the pile to try and discern what they might be.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
        X