This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Someone's been eating my porridge."

After 74 years the Rockne decided it wouldn't start. After investigating all probabilities it was determined the points in the Startix (a late twenties early thirties non-serviceable feature) were coroded and would not let power flow to the starter. The culprit was humidity.

Well, I figured out how to service the internals and have the car back in service which brings me to my question.

Too damp, too dry, just right. Any recommendations on the ideal temperature and humidity for a car that may sit for months but you would still like to turn the key on a moments' notice and cast the everyday world behind you?

The heat of a regularly driven engine compartment is an ounce of prevention but there are often months when, for whatever reasons, she must sit, desiring a greater level of comfort than I have obviously provided.

I can't tell you the exact humidity...but companies make humidity controlled storage bags.

Drive the car in, switch it on and it inflates, and keeps a set humidity. They are popular (and nesessary) in England where all cars rust.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

My pickup was in a humidity controlled garage in central Texas for the past 15 years, but I don't know what level the humidity was controlled to. My garage, in NY, does not have humidity control, but the temperature is 65-75 degrees F, year round.

Gary L.
      1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
      1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
      X