This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S nonD C

I have to wonder if I am on my way to some sort of record. Joined the SDC in 1997 and in June 97 bought my Studebaker. It was non-running at the time and remains non-running to this day 9 years later.
    I've been a faithful Studebaker guy, but have never actually driven one. Or even rode in one. Unless you count pushing mine in and out of the barn.
    I've sure got a lot of time invested working on a Studebaker, so I suppsoe that keeps me linked to the group here. But I feel I am in a very odd minority in the SDC. Of course... I sure didn't figure I'd be 9 years plus working on the thing.

Dan
    52 hardtop

Its takes some longer than others. To some the reward is in getting there to others there is the place to be. The last catagory usually buy the finished product for about half the price that the car took to restore.

Comment

Don't feel too bad...
      I too joined SDC before driving a Studebaker. I bought mine long-distance without ever driving the car. The closest I had come was driving an Avanti II...(actually a 87 after they dropped the "II" moniker).

It's great you have something that interests you and that you're still working on it.
      As Malcom Forbes said "Those who don't get carried away occasionally....ought to be."

63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

My 52 HT hasn't ben driven by anyone in 30 years or more. I've done nothing to it and don't intend to. It's ROUGH and I don't want to spend MUCHO $$$ for something I wouldn't enjoy as much as a truck or 56-61 Hawk. I REALLY like the 61's with 4 speeds, but then again who doesn't? I'm not a fanatic about the 52 HT's but mine was there for the taking. Mine doesn't even have a steering column installed. However, I drive my 63 Daytona EVERYDAY and it drives better the more I drive it. Go figure! Next stop on it is to install the A frame bushings and then paint the thing. THEN my all new interior gets to be put in. But, at least you have a Stude, a pretty rare one as well. Is yours a Commander or Champion?
        Another thing is that my uncle (the Mopar guy who I got it from) installed a Chrysler sub frame under the car, so IF I was to do anything with it I would have to use another frame, as I like "all Stude" cars, even if they are modified. The floors are there, what's left of them. The front clip is perfect. Even the grille I have for it has NO cracks and is 100% there. Where are you located and maybe we can work a trade. My 52 for whatever... Here's pics.: http://community.webshots.com/user/studestarliner
        Sorry so long...

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
        South Georgia Chapter Newsletter Editor
        63 Daytona HT (project)
        51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
        52 Commander Starliner (basket case)
        MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars.
        Click my name and check out "Links".

Comment

hey mb what ya wanna trade for?or what amt of cash?

Comment

I don't care, I'd like to have another Stude, as long as it ain't a 52. What have you got to trade? Where are you located? mbstude at yahoo dot com

63 Daytona HT (project)
            51 2R16 dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
            52 Commander Starliner (basket case)

Comment

Dan,

You are certainly not alone. I bought my 53 Starliner in 1984, joined SDC, and began to go to swap meets, to SDC Internationals (the years I could get time off work), and visit every Stude parts dealer I came across while traveling on business for my real job. Over several years, I accumulated what I believed was everything I needed to complete a resto-rod version of the most beautiful car ever designed and built.

During my life (as someone said "life is what happens [u]

Comment

Oh yeah, my uncle got his 51 coupe when he was 14, and it took him 11 years to redo it. 8 days after he drove it out of the interior shop someone hit him and smushed the front of the car all up. 2 years later it was finished again. Now he's lost interest[V], he got married and is building a house. I still take the 51 out and clean it up and exercise it for him every now and then... He also has a 52 Champ, and a 79 Dodge Lil' Red Express, which is all took apart and laying behing the shop. Sure wish he's gain his interest again.

63 Daytona HT (project)
                52 Commander Starliner (basket case)(will trade for another Stude <g&gt

Comment

I drug (literally) my '53 out of its 30yr resting spot in 1992. Joined SDC in 1994. From '92 to '97, the '53 was moved 5 times while I went through 3 jobs and 3 moves. I finally drove it the fall of '02. Still the only Stude I've ever driven, and I've put about 14k on it.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Rookie Rookie Rookie!
                    Last time I seriously worked on my '61 Hawk was 1976[:0]
                    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Michidan

I have to wonder if I am on my way to some sort of record. Joined the SDC in 1997 and in June 97 bought my Studebaker. It was non-running at the time and remains non-running to this day 9 years later.
                    I've been a faithful Studebaker guy, but have never actually driven one. Or even rode in one. Unless you count pushing mine in and out of the barn.
                    I've sure got a lot of time invested working on a Studebaker, so I suppsoe that keeps me linked to the group here. But I feel I am in a very odd minority in the SDC. Of course... I sure didn't figure I'd be 9 years plus working on the thing.

Dan
                    52 hardtop
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

You promised me some pix of that car Mr. Jeff. Got any you can send me via email?

63 Daytona HT (project)
                      52 Commander Starliner (basket case)(will trade for another Stude <g&gt

Comment

Here you go Matthew...
                        A couple pic's are quite old...
                        Jeff[8D]

An original Big Daddy Ed Roth T-Shirt circa 1970 Chicago Navy Pier Car Show...

1970/1 Chicago snotty NW suburbs....

Snot nosed NW suburban kid and his dog...(about 1962)

"Blizzard of '67 outside Chicago"

1976 Bicentennial pic (still have the license plate)

Pic taken in Roselle, Il. About a 1/4 mile from the dealer it was delivered to...
                        I'll look for some more...
                        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

You promised me some pix of that car Mr. Jeff. Got any you can send me via email?
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I no linger feel so bad. I grew up with Studes. But my grandfathers truck (videos and story of which are on the Studebaker truck page site) sat many years while I waited on money and time. I traded my old 79 Corolla for it from my dad in 86. The next year he rolled the Corolla and was killed... I still love the truck though, I learned to drive in it.

Norm
                          58 Transtar 1 ton dually PU
                          58 2 door wagon
                          Davenport, Fl
                          Norm
                          58 Transtar 1 ton dually PU
                          58 2 door wagon
                          Davenport, Fl

Comment

Deepnhock,

Just a side note, I lived in Des Plaines in 1967 working for UAL and spent 3 days at the airport during that storm. Could not get back to the apartment.
                            Jim
                            sigpic
                            Jim

Comment

Not to worry, michidan; as my father used to say, "It ain't eatin' nuthin"...

Do what you can to it, when you can; just save it from the evil crusher [}]

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Comment

Working...
                              X