Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

August Hemmings Classic Car - Lotsa Studes!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott
    replied
    Besides, there are lots of magazines that focus only on major brands, like Corvette Quarterly, or any number of magzines with "Chevy" in the title. Collectible Automobile does a very balanced job covering different makes and years. Hemmings is just one magazine and if Hemmings likes the orphan makes, more power to them.

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    Fact is, the "independents and orphans" made interesting, unusual cars with features and designs that the big boyz didn't have. (You notice even thought the convertible issue had a F*rd on the cover, it was a '58! Not your "mainstream" Sunliner.)

I love those guys!

---------------------------
    Clark in San Diego:

Proud new owner of a '63 Lark!

Leave a comment:

• JBOYLE
    replied
    [quote]quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

Originally posted by jcarmichael

they seem to be the only magazine that trys to include off beat makes.

1961 Lark
    They seem [u]Obsessed</u> with independents and orphans.
    Not that I'm complaining, but there has been a lot of articles and columns on Ranblers (Nash, Hudson, AMC, etc.) amd Studebakers. I've subscribed since the first issue and if I were a huge fan of the "big 3", I'd probably feel a bit slighted.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Leave a comment:

• JBOYLE
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by jcarmichael

I guess they changed ponys enough times to finally make it to the Northwest Territory so I finally got my issue. What a nice write up even if it's not always accurate they seem to be the only magazine that trys to include off beat makes.

1961 Lark
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I guess they changed ponys enough times to finally make it to the Northwest Territory so I finally got my issue. What a nice write up even if it's not always accurate they seem to be the only magazine that trys to include off beat makes.

1961 Lark

Leave a comment:

• 2R5
    replied
    Well I see there is one showed up on ebay for anyone that can't buy one else where

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Got my copy this weekend. Wow! A LOT of great stuff in there.

Leave a comment:

• bonehead007
    replied
    I like the fact that when you go to a show or a meet, unless its Studebaker specific, your the only one with one there. Everyone else has a Corvette or Rustang.. Their different and fun to drive..

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied
    I think a big attraction to Studes is this: If you'd like to have an old car to tinker with and enjoy, but aren't a millionaire, Studes are perfect: Good cars, lots of resto and NOS stuff available, styling that was stodgy or frumpy 40 years ago is really cool looking in todays world; and best of all, they're comparatively cheap to buy!!

Plus, as I've said before, what car name's more fun to say than, "Studebaker"?

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Leave a comment:

• bondobilly
    replied
    Has anyone else noticed a possible awakening of the collectable Studebaker? [/quote]

This interest in Studebaker started about three years ago. I believe it is because the are really very few entry level collectible cars out there, and Studebaker meets the need. Once the newbies got their hands on one word spread about them. Along with this a number of motion pictures started using Studebakers, and the biggest boost was toy companies, and model makers, both diecast and plastic discovered there were no licensing issues, trademark infrigments or intellectual property to worry about.
    AMT/ERTL announced at the 1999 Toy Fair in NY a 1/24 1/25 1950 Bullet Nose kit. I pre-ordered 4 cases, but the market at that point would not support the full tooling costs. I suspect that at this coming Toy Fair in NY it will be added to the line and released in 2007. However, with all this interest in Studebakers, current owners are not bringing them to local cruise nights, and major car shows. We need more participation from current owners to get the car fully known.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• Guido
    replied
    I guess folk's Matthew's age never had to send out a bill payment or a thank you note to grandma. Thanks for setting him straight.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
    1948 M-16 grain truck
    1949 2R16A grain truck
    1949 2R17A fire truck
    1955 E-38 grain truck
    1957 3E-40 flatbed
    1961 6E-28 grain truck
    1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
    1962 Champ pickup
    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
    1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
    1964 Cruiser
    And various other "treasures"

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Rockne10, thanks a lot! My address is mbstude at yahoo dot com.

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
    Come on, Matthew &lt;G&gt;. How is he going to send you an issue/copy of the magazine with your e-mail address? Provide the guy with your mailing (snail mail/USPS) mailing address. You should do this off the forum.

Gary L.
    1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
    1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    Rockne10, thanks a lot! My address is mbstude at yahoo dot com.

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
    South Georgia Chapter Newsletter Editor
    63 Daytona HT (project)
    51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
    52 Commander Starliner (basket case)
    MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars.
    Click my name and check out "Links".

Leave a comment:

• ddub
    replied
    Gee, I just got the July issue last week. They must send it out here by Pony Express.

quote:Gee...I wonder what it would be like to make money on a car?

I've heard of people doing it, never done it myself...(kinda like seeing a UFO...)

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)
    Me too I even lost money on a Mustang convert. I look at it as money spent on entertainment.

Don Wilson
    53 Commander Hardtop
    64 Champ 1/2 ton
    WA state

Leave a comment:

• 56H-Y6
    replied
    Hi
    I just received my copy yesterday and have read all the Studebaker coverage already, very well done and worth buying a copy if you aren't a subscriber.
    HCC is doing a good job of including independent makes each issue as well as the popular cars. It is heartening to see that, after all, they have to sell magazines, volume goes to those to who serve up the reinforcement to the masses hooked on the recognized popular big three models. Many those masses will read the articles on the independents as well.
    HCC also advocates a more realistic, interest-in-the-cars-not-just-their-value-reasons-to-collect. Their dismay with the overheated prices many cars bring at auction is evident, appeals to my sense as well. They encourage inclusion of makes and models frequently dismissed as unworthy of collecting, and feature original, driver condition cars as worthwhile for there usable enjoyable qualities.
    It is a publication worth your yearly subscription.
    Regards
    Steve

Leave a comment:

Working...
X