Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well Dave, it looks and sounds like it was a fun thing. Almost a slap at the poor folks that labored to vie for one of whatever prizes they were offering at this meet. But I'm sure it was outwardly recieved as a fun thing. Thanks for sharing![]

I've NEVER endeavored to make a show-winning Stude. I don't like stress and stress is the difference between ENJOYING your Studes ("Enjoyment" defined as driving it casually and often) and having it be an anchor around your neck! Of course, that's just MY opinion[:I] Your opinion(s) may vary.

In a world (the tropy-chasing circuit) where cars have to be WAY nicer than they were when new (to compete) it's lunacy to try and achieve AND maintain that level of perfection. I can appreciate the bucks and sweat that get spent in pursuit of such - I just don't see myself expending either of those outlays. Not to achieve what I want out of my Studes anyway.
    I know I risk wearing it out, but I'll state once again that having a guy or gal - in traffic - flash me a thumbs up is better than a whole showcase fulla totally useless trophies. That's totally useless as in "totally useless".
    Having a young gal in a Miata chase me around a parking lot - so she can tell her dad about seeing a REAL Studebaker on the road that day - is more rewarding than having our resident 16-year old Studebaker lover pull up and dump a 2R16-load of trophies on my lawn!
    Of course, I'd love the visit of the young fella and his truck. The trophies would be a pain tho.[}]

My Transtar's paint has really gone dead. It actually lasted longer than I'd have predicted, given I used cheap paint back in '96.
    For "care", it gets hosed off when the notion strikes me (and the hose is handy[xx(]). I can't remember EVER waxing it in 10 years - although my paint guy DID buff and detail it just before my aborted drive to South Bend in '02. He managed to make it LOOK better than it had when freshly painted - and I was right proud of it. But I knew that the run to SB was gonna take it's toll on it.
    Anyway, the paint's fading fast now. And yet.... I was pulling out onto the main drag the other day, when along comes two guys in a big, new, Ram monster-truck. In spite of the sun's glare off their windshileld, I can easily see the two thumbs up they're gesturing towards me. Would I rather have that or a trophy? What do you think?

Sorry for the rant, Dave. I didn't mean to diminish the levity of your post. But we're a society that's hell-bent for competition. And in my view, that gets in the way of having fun.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Like my uncle James has always said since he finished his 51 coupe. "Going to shows is fun, I really enjoy having a good time a driving one of my Studes. But I DON'T like showing them, I display only. I don't see the point in spending bunches of $$$ on a car, driving 100+ miles to a show, spend hours cleaning and detailing, just to have someone come around and tell you what's wrong with your car, maybe to win a $15.00 trophy." He's right, and NONE of our cars are show cars. We DRIVE the wheels off our cars! And if it gets a scratch or a little ding, who cares! We still enjoy them the way they were meant to be enjoyed. Yes, we go to many shows every year, but we haven't 'shown' a car in years. We drive them and enjoy them. We have FUN!!! Also, my grandad lives on a dirt road so cleaning every little nook and cranny isn't really worth that $15.00 trophy...

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
      South Georgia Chapter
      63 Daytona HT (project)
      51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
      52 Commander Starliner (basket case)

MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars

And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo
      And here too: http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Comment

When I go back into retirement, I think I just might relieve myself of a couple of PITAs, and build me a new Studebaker show vehicle. It breaks my heart that that won't happen before Omaha. <G> I'm ready to lighten up!

Studedude, we have a truck just like this in Omaha that's a Model A and will likely show up at the International anyway Studebaker or no. In certain parts of the country, this being one of them, you can have a 10 point Studebaker and still lose out to a 5 point Chevy or Ford because this is Chevy and Ford country but I won't go any further on that subject as some bird in here accused me of whining last time I brought up the subject. It's more fun to own a car for fun and not for profit (trophies).

Studedude1961
        --1963 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Would I rather have that or a trophy? What do you think?
          I've enjoyed both.

quote:Sorry for the rant, Dave. I didn't mean to diminish the levity of your post.
          No apology required, Mr B! Matter of fact, I thought of you several times as I drafted last night's post. We have exchanged views many times over the years about the different ways we go about doing things, and I have to admit that your approach has its appeal. The vehicle that this thread started out about made me grin, partially because it got me to wondering how you would react if I showed up at a meet with such a rig. It would be worth it, just to see your reaction to me and my ride being more "casual" than you and yours!

As Dick has so often stated, we all have different ways of enjoying the same thing. Some times, folks make, or consider making a shift in how they approach things. I think I may be experiencing a case of burn-out, which is usually a temporary condition. This condition causes one to take inventory from time to time, and I think that is what is happening here. Upon such reflection, I think the truck may have been a mistake, in that it represents one more toy than I can do justice to. I SURE don't feel that way when I'm driving it, but there are times that just too many things need too much attention at the same time. My condition is further complicated by my inability to remain unemployed. [8] The irony of that has not escaped me, as I know several folks that would trade problems with me.

Anyway, I reckon all of these conditions being in place at the same time I viewed this rig caused me to pause, ponder, and enjoy it more than I would have otherwise.

All that aside, I still plan to make Omaha with both Studes, and certainly NOT a third, in ANY condition! During the interview process for the interim position, I made it clear that I did have plans for the last week of September, and that anything that would interfere with those plans would not be considered. The interview panel, in unison, asked, "Where is the Studebaker show?" "Omaha," I told 'em. They indicated that even if they did not find a candidate to fill the position on a more permanent basis by then, things would be in good enough order for me to go to Omaha. That said, I took the position. Now, the issue of getting the list of things I have to do, now that I have less time than before will have to be addressed. [xx(]

Since Studedude1961 reports that there will be a similar vehicle there, I look forward to enjoying a few chuckles with some Stude friends as we "judge" it.

sigpic
          Dave Lester

Comment

What the hell is that?

Frank Starr

Comment

I had a great day! I drove 135 miles one way to the show, took a bunch of small two lanes to get there. Got there, washed some of the bugs off, put the signs on the windows, got a little lunch and then jawboned the rest of the day. Drove the 135 back home and when I pulled in the garage my dog jumped on the side of the car! It was a perfect day.

Tim K.
              '64 R2 GT Hawk
              Tim K.
              \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Having Grandparents and photos that confirm their departures from Neb and Okla. I loved the story about the car, Very Steinbeck like, ya know grapes of wrath. Display vs show very pertinent too. There is a car drivers museum in West LA that practices the philosophy of why don't you sit behind the wheel, or go ahead and start the car never been in a rumble seat , heres your chance, plus once a month lets all comers go for rides in the collection ( mostly Studes and Packards 1912 - 1958 range) I had a smile for weeks.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52hawk

I don't think the rubber chickens were 'correct' for that year of car.

LaSalle,Il
                  61Hawk
                  60Lark
                  If it was Colonel Sander's staff car it would be okay.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Last weekend drove the 60 Hamilton Hawk to a show in Port Elgin N.B.,only Stude there.The Hawk was dirty as it rained about half the trip. I didn't even bother to wipe it down cause it was obvious more rain was on the way.
                    Guess what,won a great big 'ol trohpy for "peoples choice". I could care less about trophys,but my step daughter has quite a collection my cars have won over the years,Id rather win tools or something useful. But of all the trophys to win,"peoples choice" is the best to me,because it means more folks thought my dirty Hawk was cooler than all those Mopar Chargers and Rustangs.
                    You think Studes are starting to get their due respect? I KNOW it!

Comment

Robert,

Congrats!!! Them Studes will do it every time!!
                      Dan

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Transtar56

Guess what,won a great big 'ol trohpy for "peoples choice".
                        Congrats, Robert!!

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Great to hear Robert! Congrats![:0][]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President 2-dr
                            1955 President State
                            1951 Champion Biz cpe
                            1963 Daytona project FS
                            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Car shows are quite the place to show off a Studebaker, most often we are the only one there. Hit up 24 shows last year and have hit the dozen mark this year already. It's not the trophy, but the people who are at the shows asking questions about Studebakers."Informing the Unwashed", as Bill Schiffer constantly reminds us! It's just as much fun driving a new route to a different place as showing the car. Met some great folks and had some super meals and put thousands of miles on every year! What a blast! Been doing for 35 years now and still enjoy the Studebaker experiance!

Brian

Brian K. Curtis

Comment

Working...
                              X