X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Lark 4dr Project

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2371276/1

Hi all, I thought I'd share a few pictures of my new car. It's my very first Studebaker. As you'll see, it needs lots of love, but I've seen people start with much worse : )

I'll keep everyone posted as my wife and I begin working on this one and I hope to make some new friends along the way!!! Any advice for a first time Studebaker-er???

-Mark

Just a couple of pieces of advice:

* Join the SDC (if not already a member)
    * Get the production order from the National Museum to see how your car was originally delivered
    * Buy a service manual to guide you as you begin work
    * Ask questions of the group often if you are stumped.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
    1948 M-16 grain truck
    1949 2R16A grain truck
    1949 2R17A fire truck
    1955 E-38 grain truck
    1957 3E-40 flatbed
    1961 6E-28 grain truck
    1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
    1962 Champ pickup
    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
    1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
    1964 Cruiser
    And various other "treasures"
    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Welcome aboard! That car doesn't look that bad at all. We've redone cars 20 times worse than that. Larks are fun and somewhat cheap to drive/restore. (compared to Hawks/Avantis) I love mine, and I like it more everyday.

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
      South Georgia Chapter
      63 Daytona HT (project)
      51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
      52 Commander Starliner (basket case)

MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars
      http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstude101
      And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo
      And here too: http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Comment

Definitely a project, Mark, but I've seen worse. How is it mechanically?
        Putting a Skytop in that would be nice and, I suspect, in Lost Wages, Nevada you'll also be pursuing A/C?
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses!

I'm not yet a SDC member but plan to join soon... I'm a teacher and next week is my last of the school year, so I should get on things after that. My list already includes buying a manual and getting the production order, but I have no idea how to go about the production order. Any directions?

Mechanically, it runs and drives fine. There is a heavy oil leak that I haven't investigated yet. I yet don't know about keeping the engine or swapping for something more common. Realistically, my time-frame is looking like years and years down the road.

I'm wanting to do a complete frame-off and build the car for realiability, longevity and safety. I want a mild custom -- modern components, traditional appearance and style. I'm not really a purist but I also don't have anything objectionable in the way of wild body mods or power plants in mind either.

The Skytop will be a definate go as will be air conditioning (108 degrees today).

Any advice on where to find quality body pieces? I've located a few on-line, but I value experience and knowledge foremost!

Again, thanks for the welcome!
          -Mark

Comment

Production order available from the National Museum. http://www.studebakermuseum.org/
            Once you start getting Turning Wheels you'll be surprised at the parts and services available.
            Check the link to favorite venders and visit here often.
            http://www.studebakervendors.com/
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Join the Studebaker Drivers Club, Inc. from this web site and you will receive an excellent monthly publication called Turning Wheels. From that you will learn of many large and small dealers in NOS, NORS, repro and used parts. SDC has recently started a new policy of a lower initial membership price for people like you. You order your build sheet from the Studebaker National Museum. Look under their store on their web site for ordering information.

Gary L.
              1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
              1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

SASCO,in South Bend,has NOS doors and rear fenders for your car. Cheap-$60 or so for each.574-287-3381.You will find their website through the link already posted by rockne10. Good luck with the car,your gonna love it-I love mine!!

LaSalle,Il
                61Hawk
                60Lark
                Oglesby,Il.

Comment

A pic from last night- every time somebody posts a pic of a Hawk,I get more anxious to finish mine

LaSalle,Il
                  61Hawk
                  60Lark
                  Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Welcome aboard! Your little Lark has great potential and the sheet metal parts (save for that front fender) will be easy to find.
                    I don't know that you need to endeavor to do this car "frame off". Unless it has really horrible rust issues with the floor or frame, you're just making more work for yourself in taking the body off the frame.
                    From what you've said, I'd conclude you wanna end up with a nice-looking "driver" that's reliable. Great level to aim for! But "frame off" is overkill for a car such as this, given your goal.
                    SASCO will have doors and rear fenders. While fiberglass front fenders are available, I'd opt for good used metal ones if it were my Lark. They sould be easy to find in Nevada. Maybe the quickest way is to contact the local chapter of SDC (I know here is one in the LV area). Surely, they're members will know of local parts sources. Since Larks abound (especially 59-60 models), it should be no problem to find what you want.
                    And use this forum as a resource of info and guidance. We're here to share and help in any way we can!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President 2-dr
                    1955 President State
                    1951 Champion Biz cpe
                    1963 Daytona project FS
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

52Hawk, Thanks for the great picture. It will serve as inspiration.

Mr.Biggs, Thanks for the words of advice. I realize that a 'body off' is a lot to handle, and I am trying to be realistic. There is virtually no rust whatsoever underneath the car -- in fact, I'll upload some photos of the trunk and floor when I'm able and you'll see they're the car's most endearing factor. I have located an NOS front left fender on-line, but it's boucou bucks.

Again, thanks everybody and I look forward to getting to know everyone!!

-Mark

Comment

52 hawk, would you please shrink that pic? unless others have a 30 in. moniter, they have to move the page from left to right to read a line.
                        Thanks.

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
                        South Georgia Chapter
                        63 Daytona HT (project)
                        51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
                        52 Commander Starliner (basket case)

MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars
                        http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstude101
                        And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo
                        And here too: http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Comment

Sorry mbstude! I tried flickr,couldn't resize the pics bigger.Now I'm trying the photobucket,and can't figure out how to make them smaller-. I like the'bucket format a bit better,I'll have to work on it.
                          BTW-this entire thread has to be moved sideways to be read on my 17",some threads are like that,some are not.-???
                          LaSalle,Il
                          61Hawk
                          60Lark
                          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                          X